Mpg

Pandaman2020

Redex is bad for your engine clogs the injectors so they need cleaning periodically whereas 2 stroke oil and Acetone are best for keeping your engine clean and running efficiently, ask any Diesel Mechanic who knows their stuff?

Pandaman2020

Following up I Used to run an old LDV Convoy on Cooking oil but Transits and Sprinters are not good on this.

Nabsim

Redex is bad for your engine clogs the injectors so they need cleaning periodically whereas 2 stroke oil and Acetone are best for keeping your engine clean and running efficiently, ask any Diesel Mechanic who knows their stuff?
Doesn’t seem to clog mine, been doing it a couple of years and emissions are spot on 👍

mickymost

Yes my coachbuilt is based on a Sprinter 316 2.7 5 cylinder. It’s a Tn1 chassis/engine although complete unit is 2007

Thank you.Mine is a 2004 Van Conversion Sprinter 313cdi so I may try the redex then as it seems it works.Does it help with MPG?

Nabsim

Thank you.Mine is a 2004 Van Conversion Sprinter 313cdi so I may try the redex then as it seems it works.Does it help with MPG?
Can’t really say on that as I have used it since before I discovered my right foot had a drastic effect. I had a typo in my earlier post, it’s should have said if I keep speed at 60mph and under I can get 30mpg, if I run at motorway speed this drops to around 25mpg. Most of this year has been spent parked up so I have probably used as much diesel running my Eberspacher as I have running the engine so can’t say if anything has changed although no reason for it to have done 👍

jagmanx

Mmn !
Confused.com

Anyone used any of these please.

Tookey

Not interested in engines but this thread has made me think I need to give my 22 yr old a bit more TLC. Done some of my own reading and tbh am pretty much non the wiser on what I should put in :confused:

Due to ambient temps are oil changes best carried out in summer?

davep10000

Not interested in engines but this thread has made me think I need to give my 22 yr old a bit more TLC. Done some of my own reading and tbh am pretty much non the wiser on what I should put in :confused:

Due to ambient temps are oil changes best carried out in summer?
Oil (and filter) changes anytime (about every 5000 miles on yours) - make sure the engine is hot before.
Fuel wise, our diesel fuel pumps are not fussy at all (unlike modern common rail) - happy to run with a 50/50 diesel veg oil mix (in summer).

A good diesel additive is a good idea now and again, but far more important to change the fuel filter regularly.

Dave.

SquirrellCook

Fuel wise, our diesel fuel pumps are not fussy at all (unlike modern common rail) - happy to run with a 50/50 diesel veg oil mix (in summer).
In leaner times I experimented with adding cheaper things to diesel. Engines with precombustion chambers were not that fussy. Direct injection were. I got a good deal on a drum of old sulphur diesel and my Merc 608 thought it was it's birthday. Faster accelerating and better mpg. My old petrol landrover would be happy with most things added to it petrol upto about 25%.

Nabsim

Two of the most lied about subjects in motoring, top speeds and mpg. ;)
It’s hard to know true mpg unless you meticulously note down each fill and work it out properly. I will do it over maybe half a dozen (at most) to a dozen fill ups for an average, normally when I first get a vehicle or if changes have been made. Of course if I did the average poncing around Lincolnshire one month it would bear no reflection on the following month in the Highlands or similar.
I have never tried for a top speed in the van, not convinced I would enjoy having to emergency stop from whatever it does when fully loaded. When I used to check top speed though I would find a deserted stretch of road with little traffic and use gps as speed indicator. Most production vehicles will not do what they are supposed to as new never mind a few years on them. Speed and power stats generally lead to joining clubs and modifying, very enjoyable it is too if you are a petrol head. You can still get more thrill on a bike at well under top speed though 👍

Coop

Free Member
I don't know and we don't care.
We have the van to enjoy it, not to sweat about MPG.
We meander along at reasonable speeds enjoying the journey, it's not just about the destination, and fill the diesel tank when we need it.
We love the van and wouldn't change it for the sake of fuel consumption.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:282)

2cv, izwozral, molly 2, mark61, ton27, mistericeman, landoboguy, Winger, oppy, hmssnake, Driventemple, Jus, StreetSleeper, trickymicky, Alberto, Wully, scampa, Bazfitz, Tezza33, belbri, sparrks, Chris Evans001, stonedaddy, Keep right on, TeamRienza, brian c, Canalsman, Allen, The laird, jagmanx, Phantom, Edina, Fisherman, fiona68, Nidge, Wooie1958, Topmast, jeffmossy, AdriaTwin, mfw, Tookey, chrisjones18, nutts, trevskoda, thebeeman, Bouydog, Snapster, st3v3, terrywolf, Clunegapyears, runnach, yorkslass, Trotter, gid7, groyne, davep10000, keith49, harrow, AllanD, colinmd, specky4eyes, REC, Dezi, Harryw, ricc, Rus0906, Ian and Cath, ironman, Willowman1963, Lee, winks, vanmandan, gerrevelyn, kensowerby, SquirrellCook, Fazerloz, ian1950, 1 Cup, Hallmut, Gadabout2, Johnsais, Buzzard, wildebus, denmar, mickymost, stockcarman, jacquigem, Robmac, VandA, watchthis, skippy 66, byron, witzend, r4dent, brucews, Jon, Tapfitter, RichardHelen262, jas900, Vanterrier, kevlakes, Andys, sansaw, korky, Obanboy666, Nabsim, V1nny, Sonny, Markd, pamjon, SimonM, Biggarmac, MartinFife, Zola, barryd, Monkeybrand, iandsm, helmit, RoadTrek Boy, wesaaron, ajb70, martinmartin, ARDAS, clarkpeacock, Moped, mofish, highlandron, paul99, Mikael, Liberty hall, Servo, JVG, mjvw, Toffeecat, iampatman, Al Wilson, 1807truckman, lands43, xsilvergs, in h, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, argoose, davef, silverweed, Veloman, Moc, wilsal, Millie Master, nomis64, Dowel, Bossangel, mikejay, Carlosgandango, campervanannie, skippy, samsda, BGT180, vtwinner, yorkshireCPLE, Okta, Beldea, Heppy, Floydster, Steve and Julie, IanT, Livotlout, Rawtaichi, mid4did, dane, Delta ken, Sharon the Cat, Mandoman, Buckby, alickswud, barge1914, bartman, Bigshug, Mrs Mossy, tim m154, Roy Laura, Travman, Haaamster, timatabsa, lwarby, Gerry Attrick, Alshymer, Neckender, Greengrass, pj650, Martin P, Waterboy, Forresbroons, Shug307, mikewroe, Shockingdog, mariesnowgoose, jimali, fifey 21, kangooroo, henry, beedubbleyoo, enock, NSY, yorkscol, thenomads, beegeew, Darrylhunt, stuartm, tailgate, Adria home, Ticket, Thistle, Pandaman2020, Dix, Eric The Viking, Chris356, Woodology, londontavern, jann, WanderingEllie, Paul69, big al, roadroamer, peterFuller, richjp, Touringtheworld, shadowdancer, FarWest, crumblygapper, Fizz, hank, Harrers, AllanB, x19er, charlie356, janj, flying kipper, Bounce, Weston, GWAYGWAY, Ron333, bjh, Hycon, Pedalman, mikegasgas, Terryww, Nomad7, Mr Torchy, Rod, Nomad Nelly, Tinapow, moo4707, Dartmoor Punch, RoaminRog, cornish hymer, wrp, Ian reed, Alli B, jpg, Coop, Fragle, GandS, Foxyscot, Helzie, Debs, canalboater, Nomad, Rickyp, ant0191, cancunia, colbeb, Mischief2, saxonrosie, Farman, dive11, lofty, polo99, ScarletPimple, Private, RussnMaz, greg1, WingNut,