Mpg

Yes my coachbuilt is based on a Sprinter 316 2.7 5 cylinder. It’s a Tn1 chassis/engine although complete unit is 2007

Thank you.Mine is a 2004 Van Conversion Sprinter 313cdi so I may try the redex then as it seems it works.Does it help with MPG?

Thank you.Mine is a 2004 Van Conversion Sprinter 313cdi so I may try the redex then as it seems it works.Does it help with MPG?
Can’t really say on that as I have used it since before I discovered my right foot had a drastic effect. I had a typo in my earlier post, it’s should have said if I keep speed at 60mph and under I can get 30mpg, if I run at motorway speed this drops to around 25mpg. Most of this year has been spent parked up so I have probably used as much diesel running my Eberspacher as I have running the engine so can’t say if anything has changed although no reason for it to have done 👍

Mmn !
Confused.com

Anyone used any of these please.

Not interested in engines but this thread has made me think I need to give my 22 yr old a bit more TLC. Done some of my own reading and tbh am pretty much non the wiser on what I should put in :confused:

Due to ambient temps are oil changes best carried out in summer?

Not interested in engines but this thread has made me think I need to give my 22 yr old a bit more TLC. Done some of my own reading and tbh am pretty much non the wiser on what I should put in :confused:

Oil (and filter) changes anytime (about every 5000 miles on yours) - make sure the engine is hot before.
Fuel wise, our diesel fuel pumps are not fussy at all (unlike modern common rail) - happy to run with a 50/50 diesel veg oil mix (in summer).

A good diesel additive is a good idea now and again, but far more important to change the fuel filter regularly.

Dave.

Fuel wise, our diesel fuel pumps are not fussy at all (unlike modern common rail) - happy to run with a 50/50 diesel veg oil mix (in summer).
In leaner times I experimented with adding cheaper things to diesel. Engines with precombustion chambers were not that fussy. Direct injection were. I got a good deal on a drum of old sulphur diesel and my Merc 608 thought it was it's birthday. Faster accelerating and better mpg. My old petrol landrover would be happy with most things added to it petrol upto about 25%.

Two of the most lied about subjects in motoring, top speeds and mpg. ;)
It’s hard to know true mpg unless you meticulously note down each fill and work it out properly. I will do it over maybe half a dozen (at most) to a dozen fill ups for an average, normally when I first get a vehicle or if changes have been made. Of course if I did the average poncing around Lincolnshire one month it would bear no reflection on the following month in the Highlands or similar.
I have never tried for a top speed in the van, not convinced I would enjoy having to emergency stop from whatever it does when fully loaded. When I used to check top speed though I would find a deserted stretch of road with little traffic and use gps as speed indicator. Most production vehicles will not do what they are supposed to as new never mind a few years on them. Speed and power stats generally lead to joining clubs and modifying, very enjoyable it is too if you are a petrol head. You can still get more thrill on a bike at well under top speed though 👍

I don't know and we don't care.
We have the van to enjoy it, not to sweat about MPG.
We meander along at reasonable speeds enjoying the journey, it's not just about the destination, and fill the diesel tank when we need it.
We love the van and wouldn't change it for the sake of fuel consumption.

An update after three weeks in Scotland my automatic 519 averaged around 20mpg
Worst was 16mpg driving slowly often in low gears around Mull and up to the Mull of Kintyre light house
Mines got the 5 speed Auto so torque converter doesn’t aid economy in the hilly bits the later autos also have lockup not sure mine does

I don’t think I will be doing the grand tour in this van!

Mmn !
Confused.com

Anyone used any of these please.
The only one I've tried was the Lucas additive, was ok, but went back to Archoil D-max. Not sure about extra MPG but emissions went down and stayed down on MOT's, and the engine runs a lot smoother.
No CAT, DPF or EGR on mine using for lubricity and injector cleaning.

If it gets cold ( below freezing ) might be worth reading up on adding kerosene to the diesel for your mongol trip

Doesn’t seem to clog mine, been doing it a couple of years and emissions are spot on 👍
Yes same here and i put 2 bottles in my central heating tank, never have to clean jet or swirl cup, inside of boiler is as clean as a whistle.
So must be doing its job in my fuel sys on van.
Asda are doing bottles of redex at £2 this week here, i bought a full carton of six at £12, four for van and heating and 2 for car.

If I keep speed at 60mph and under I can get 30mpg, if I run at motorway speed this drops to around 25mpg.
We have the same vehicles 316 CDI coachbuilt. I decided to record fuel consumption on a trip through Yorkshire and up to Fort William. Taking it quite easy manually changing up the auto box at lower revs and keeping it under 60mph when cruising. I covered 839 miles between fill-ups and averaged 23.77mpg. We are hauling about 4 tons around so maybe that and the hills makes a difference? I would be surprised if we get better than 26mpg anytime but will try just out of interest. Happy to just put fuel in whenever needed but don't worry about mpg as it is what it is.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back