Motorhome fire in campsite

To my mind he's possibly put the kettle on to make a cup of tea (possibly Earl Grey), gas has run out, gone out to change the bottle without switching the hob off. (probably wearing white shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and crocs) Changed the bottle meanwhile the van is filling with gas.

On return to the van hit the ignition, minor explosion catching alight to curtains (possibly pink), fabrics etc.

Anybody's guess really??
Rob, one possibility is motorhome owners were curtain twicting, perving out to see what others were doing, being nylon curtains, there was a build up of static due to over indulgence in curtain movement, then CABOOOM static flared the LPG.

Yes but if the guy was smoking and has any sense at all (that may be oxymoronic!), he won't mention it.

I wouldn't go with the smoking theory.

It looks too expensive a van. Smoking inside the vehicle takes too much value off of it. Unless you meant smoking whilst changing the bottle?

He may have had a leak somewhere. A joint or a rubber hose perhaps. That could explain why he thought the bottle was empty.

What caused the ignition is a mystery.

I wouldn't go with the smoking theory.

It looks too expensive a van. Smoking inside the vehicle takes too much value off of it. Unless you meant smoking whilst changing the bottle?

Smoking whilst changing the bottle is exactly what I meant.

Before you say "No one would do that", I was at an event in Billing Aquadrome when a guy was smoking while he topped up his Petrol generator.
(photos of him doing this were shown in evidence at the inquest).

That same weekend (July 99) we saw the helicopter that took Schumacher to Northampton hospital with leg injuries after a crash in the Gran Prix.
Later that day, SWMBO suffered a leg injury when she slipped whilst we were checking the course on our event (not F1) but the doctor refused to send her to the hospital. The photo shows us at the event.
fastrangy.jpg

Smoking whilst changing the bottle is exactly what I meant.

Before you say "No one would do that", I was at an event in Billing Aquadrome when a guy was smoking while he topped up his Petrol generator.
(photos of him doing this were shown in evidence at the inquest).

That same weekend (July 99) we saw the helicopter that took Schumacher to Northampton hospital with leg injuries after a crash in the Gran Prix.
Later that day, SWMBO suffered a leg injury when she slipped whilst we were checking the course on our event (not F1) but the doctor refused to send her to the hospital. The photo shows us at the event.
View attachment 126771

You may have seen in the motorcycle section recently, we were discussing a picture of a chap pouring petrol into a motorcycle tank whilst having a fag hanging out of his mouth?

Whilst there is little chance of it igniting, it's a pretty foolish thing to do and I wouldn't try it myself.

You may have seen in the motorcycle section recently, we were discussing a picture of a chap pouring petrol into a motorcycle tank whilst having a fag hanging out of his mouth?

Whilst there is little chance of it igniting, it's a pretty foolish thing to do and I wouldn't try it myself.

Having just noted your comment about 'the inquest' maybe more chance of it igniting than I thought!

Yes I did see it.

The ex guy at Billing was not only smoking, he was filling a tank mounted on top of a hot running genny.
I would have nominated him for a Darwin but didn't think of it at the time.

Yes I did see it.

The ex guy at Billing was not only smoking, he was filling a tank mounted on top of a hot running genny.
I would have nominated him for a Darwin but didn't think of it at the time.

Just reading about it again and it seems that Butane and Propane are also unlikely to be ignited by a cigarette.

Again, not one I would like to put to the test myself.

It's a myth often included in films, mythbusters did a video on it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back