Motorhome fire in campsite

Good thinking to put it on hard ground ! as it's easier to clean up.

They promised No fire pits. Lol

If gas is turned off how can it burn? Presumably they don’t mean the cylinder was turned off but some device or other?

Not sure how there was a spark, Brass is used so that can't happen maybe he was smoking, or an appliance was on but even then you would turn off the bottle first, so any appliance would go out. I also turn off the regulator to keep gas in the pipes.

I wonder if we'll ever find out.

Not sure how there was a spark, Brass is used so that can't happen maybe he was smoking,

A metal spanner hitting another metal surface could cause a spark, but I agree smoking is more likely

I also turn off the regulator to keep gas in the pipes.

How do you turn off a regulator?

I wonder if we'll ever find out.

No way. If he was smoking he will not admit it. It could invalidate his claim.

This is going to require a lot of T-cut to sort out.

On a serious note, the CMC need to review their emergency procedures.
At least one appliance took the wrong route and it isn't surprising given the layout of many sites.
My suggestion is a "Chain of pointers" (starting from the road outside the site) to provide instant non ambiguous directions to the incident.
In this instance the delay made no difference, but in some cases every second counts.

To my mind he's possibly put the kettle on to make a cup of tea (possibly Earl Grey), gas has run out, gone out to change the bottle without switching the hob off. (probably wearing white shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and crocs) Changed the bottle meanwhile the van is filling with gas.

On return to the van hit the ignition, minor explosion catching alight to curtains (possibly pink), fabrics etc.

Anybody's guess really??

As said it's brass.

There are other metalic items in many peoples gas lockers

Never seen one that didn't have a tap to isolate the system.

regulator.jpg

There are other metalic items in many peoples gas lockers

View attachment 126756
Well there should be no gas if it's run out, and there is always an isolator fixed to the van after the regulator, that thing is an on bottle reg, not seen one in a van for yonks, they are for BBQs normally, van regs are fixed to the locker wall.

But we're all guessing really, but something went really wrong somehow, I think it may have been human error,

At which point the flame failure protection switches off the gas supply to the gas ring.

Nice try, my money is on smoking.

By the way, you forgot to mention that he was wearing sunglasses.

Of course, and dark grey socks with the crocs.

Do gas heaters have the same flame protection? Looks a modern van so I guess so.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back