Motorhome Clean Air Zone charge.

What vehicles are they trying to dissuade,even my motorhome 2004 renault 3.0 litre diesel, no charges in either brum or bath.

Mine is newer than yours with the same engine but I get charged. I suspect yours is under 3.5 ton, whereas mine is 4.5 ton and a PHGV.

Not that I ever want to go to London again, but I took a look anyway. For us it would be £100/day charge in ULEZ zone, but no charge in LEZ zone.
Having done a stint of delivering into Central London I can't think why anyone would want to drive in if they could possibly avoid it, especially when public transport is so regular and reasonably priced.

Check if you will be charged to drive your motorhome in a clean air zone.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-a-clean-air-zone

Bath wish to charge me £100/day to visit from 15th March in my motorhome even for just passing through on any main road! 😱
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...ges-updates-petrol-diesel-clean-air-zone-bath
If you want to visit Bath use the Lansdown park and ride (north of Bath). They have large bays at the far end for motorhomes. Parking in town is virtually impossible and very expensive. Plus the traffic is horrendous.

Check if you will be charged to drive your motorhome in a clean air zone.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-a-clean-air-zone

Bath wish to charge me £100/day to visit from 15th March in my motorhome even for just passing through on any main road! 😱
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...ges-updates-petrol-diesel-clean-air-zone-bath

Bath's Clean Air Zone
Clean air zones are being introduced across England so that we can all enjoy cleaner, healthier air.
Bath’s Clean Air Zone (CAZ) starts on 15 March 2021. From this date, you may have to pay a daily charge to drive in the zone if your vehicle does not meet required emission standards.
Please check whether your vehicle will be charged in a clean air zone at www.gov.uk/cleanairzone. All you need is your vehicle registration number.
Private cars and motorbikes will not be charged in Bath’s CAZ, regardless of emissions, but they may be charged in other zones.
Private cars will NOT be charged, so maybe your motorhome is still registered as a commercial vehicle.

My minds been straying towards a T100 recently Trev.
I have the real one
triumph tiger 100.png

Well this thread is interesting but for a different reason I wonder if it will start catching people exploiting VED exemptions! Ex Police Vehicles, Ambulances, etc.

I wish there was a definitive way to check the taxation class of a vehicle online but I don't think there is unless any of you know differently?

I notice that emergency service vehicles that do not meet the required emission standards are not automatically exempt under this scheme which is unexpected.
For Bath an exemption has to be applied for by the owner, for Birmingham the relevant service will be contacted.

Most emergency service vehicles are VED exempt only when being used in compliance with the exemption.
This exemption is often knowingly exploited by dishonest second owners that buy them to convert to Camper Vans, Burger Bars, Mobile Workshops etc.

There are hundreds if not thousands of them out there on our roads not paying their dues like the rest of us!
These same dishonest VED evading owners probably run their vehicles over weight, on bald tyres, lacking maintenance and lie to their insurers etc as obviously once they start down the slippery slop of dishonesty where do they stop!

Identifying VED evaders that exploit tax exemption status, using the standard online portal has proven difficult making it hard to report these people.

E.g. lets take this random reg number ' YX62EYY' from the Internet as an example of an ex Ambulance that is afaik privately owned and now a Camper Van.
using the usual "Check if a vehicle is taxed and has an MOT" portal we get

1611494543538.png

but using the emission portal we get:

1611494595788.png

This is the first time ever I have found an online tool that may just hint the vehicles taxation class is something other than PLG or PHGV etc and hence could still be incorrectly VED exempt.

Attachments

• 1611494530521.png
    1611494530521.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 1611494586207.png
    1611494586207.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Bath's Clean Air Zone
Clean air zones are being introduced across England so that we can all enjoy cleaner, healthier air.
Bath’s Clean Air Zone (CAZ) starts on 15 March 2021. From this date, you may have to pay a daily charge to drive in the zone if your vehicle does not meet required emission standards.
Please check whether your vehicle will be charged in a clean air zone at www.gov.uk/cleanairzone. All you need is your vehicle registration number.
Private cars and motorbikes will not be charged in Bath’s CAZ, regardless of emissions, but they may be charged in other zones.
Private cars will NOT be charged, so maybe your motorhome is still registered as a commercial vehicle.
But it's not a private car, it's registered as a motor caravan, PHGV, 4200kgs.

But it's not a private car, it's registered as a motor caravan, PHGV, 4200kgs.
Having read through a bit more about the exemptions, I initially thought the ANPR cameras they will be using would simply reference the DVLA for vehicle info but as we all know the body type on the V5 does not always accurately reference a vehicles use anymore especially for those of us driving "Vans with Windows".

I think they will also be using a separate database as well hence people must register their type of vehicle in advance to qualify for the discount to £9 etc otherwise it will be full whack

It wouldnt be so bad if they had given a period of many years warning to allow time for cars to be gradually replaced. Hitting folk in the pocket like this seems very unfair. It needs to be done but not so rapidly. Then again as someone once said about the charging zone in London. Hoped it was many £££'s a day so it priced the poor folk of the road and allowed him to get to his city job much quicker.
Remember when we were all convinced to buy diesel, then they put the price up.nothing new then

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back