Morocco Bound

Harleyboygaz3

So , just thought we would share a few pics and experiences of our 6 week trip here in Morocco for anyone who’s interested. Left Tavira at 10am and arrived yesterday afternoon in Palomes to get our tickets from Viajes Normandie next to Carrefour must say they were very helpful. Tickets in hand so headed off to Lidl round the corner to stock up on some things, Gin was just over €4 a bottle, well happy 😃 then on to Mercadona car park for the night before an early start. After a nice peaceful sleep headed for Algeciras to ferry point for 7am to catch 8am crossing Spanish time. Arrived in Tanger Med dock after lovely crossing for about 9am UK time and only about half hour till through customs.. Headed West over to Tangier onto campsite located right near sea front and Medina where we had a coffee and headed into town to sort WiFi. While in town had a good walk round and ended up having food in local restaurant which was very nice. Now sitting having a few G&Ts with some friendly French people. Great place to visit, would definitely recommend a day or so here, great little Medina with lots of interesting shops without getting pulled in too much. Going to head off in the morning down the coast a few miles to Asilaha for our next stop.

1C27272E-A226-4E4D-9E77-B4298CAA2B1E.jpeg
28412FB6-DCE2-4637-B1A8-D8A856D35BF6.jpeg
4498CD94-E351-4493-A9F8-19C49EDC087B.jpeg

Thanks for this post as soon as some health related family problems are sorted at home, this is exactly why we scaled our van up to do this. Look forward to any more posts/nuggets your post.
:)

Thanks for all interest, will keep the posts going. We left Tangier late this morning after a good nights sleep, must say the campsite was ideal as close to all amenities and is the only one here I think? We drove through Tangier a bit arse nipping at times but being bigger than most vehicles was giving them as good as they gave me back, plenty of horn pipping and light flashing going on.. Nice trip down on coast road look some lovely beaches and good surf. We have just arrived in Asilah at camping Assadda nice spot right by the beach and what looks a nice town. Will drop some more pics as the day goes on hopefully. Nice to see the camels gathered on the beach.

3B8C03A9-43AD-4376-9C7F-420722DF80E6.jpeg
B1CE886F-1434-44B8-8E11-610EDA1F56DA.jpeg

A lot of M/homer's give Tanger a miss, pity really it's disreputable reputation goes before it, some
of it admittedly deserved. The main 'problem' is due to its easy proximity to Spain, all those day return
tourist chickens, just ripe for the plucking! If you can put up with the hustlers in Tanger you can put
up with any you are likely to encounter anywhere else in Maroc these days,even Marrakech........ good training!

I thought that fried seafood platter was to share but a moment later another turned up!
Thanks Mike, I remember seeing this in your posts last year I think I remember you saying it was one of the pricey places but good quality places to eat? We haven’t ventured out yet but think it could be the restaurant opposite the 2 campsites of which we are staying at. Park 4 night have some reviews saying opposite is lovely but expensive could be this one? Not sure if we are going for food tonight or just getting Safari chef out ,just chilling at moment with a beer in sunshine. I know you’re not keen on campsites, me neither but we are just feeling our feet for a few days then hoping to do some wilding as we get further south where it’s tolerated more. 👍

A lot of M/homer's give Tanger a miss, pity really it's disreputable reputation goes before it, some
of it admittedly deserved. The main 'problem' is due to its easy proximity to Spain, all those day return
tourist chickens, just ripe for the plucking! If you can put up with the hustlers in Tanger you can put
up with any you are likely to encounter anywhere else in Maroc these days,even Marrakech........ good training!
Cheers, yes I noticed lots of Spaniards about and of course local hustlers. Luckily have spent a lot of time in Thailand so used to shaking them off when needed. But definitely a place to visit at least once..

Great place to visit, just got to keep your wits around you
especially in the souks. Always worth remembering that
the hustlers are thinking 24 hours a day on just how they can
get a passing unsuspecting tourist to part with his Dirhams, most can take no thanks for an answer , but a minority give the hard sell.
Been going off and on since 1956 ie as a toddler, and still occasionally
come across new crafty ruses, all part of the experience.

Not motorhoming related but I lived in Casablanca in the late seventies, typical industrial city but you could always get good food and the restaurants were good .

Harry's Bar, don't know about the eats, but the pianist was quite good!
Casablanca, "Surrounded by desert sands", that's what Bumphrey Gocart said about Casa in the film, obviously
he'd never been there, let alone the question, was the film actually made there :)

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back