More toilet talk - SOG

In order to keep cassette emptying to a minimum we have done the following
1. We start with 1.5 litres of water and 120ml of toilet chemical.
2. From soon after we bought the van 11 years ago we did not use the water flush as we found it was not very effective at cleaning the bowl and the flush filled the cassette with water. We find a manual clean works better.
3. More recently I have been using a pee bottle, so no male urine going into the cassette.
The cassette now lasts 6 nights, it could possibly go for 7 nights.

Towards the end there is some odour so I am looking at fitting a SOG. Also I like that there is no need to chemicals, which makes more disposal points available.

Some questions for fellow Wildcampers with personal experience of SOG.
1. What are the main benefits of a SOG. It's not cost saving as for the SOG price of £174.50 you can buy a lot of chemicals.

2. The cassette door on our Adria Twin PVC is hinged at the bottom. The installation videos show a side hinged door. Any observations re fitting with a bottom hinged door?
3. I read that 'the contents of the cassette are decomposed more than without SOG', but also that the oduur increases the longer it is not emptied, also a strong odour when emptying. How long do people go between emptying?

thanks for sharing
Ours went 4 days lat week before swapping cassettes. No whiff inside the van

Everybody knows £$%^ stinks yet it seems all SOG owners deny this. Just because you can't smell it inside your van doesnt mean others can't smell it outside.
Everybody knows that the whole point is that the sog fan is only running when you are using the toilet. 99.9% of the time it isn't running.

Everybody knows that the whole point is that the sog fan is only running when you are using the toilet. 99.9% of the time it isn't running.
Yes and when you go to the toilet everyone else in the vicinity has to smell it. So what's your point, it's ok to stink folk out a few times a day.

So what's your point, it's ok to stink folk out a few times a day.
Yes, why not?
I have sometimes noticed the outlet vent from the SOG being a bit smelly. Usually there is very little smell.
Far less offensive than a barbeque or someone smoking a cigarette.
From time to time, when there is a pong, adding another laundry tab generally fixes it.
When it starts letting smells out, I change the filter. I have a few spares.

I think, on balance, it is perhaps better that a sog fan takes the smell outside where it can quickly dissipate rather than have it hang around in the enclosed space of the van for a varied amount of time linked to past diet.
“Better out than in” as a friend used to say when he indiscriminately broke wind when it suited him.

Davy

That pretty much says everything. I'm all right Jack fck the rest. I wonder why Joe public don't want us anywhere near.
Yes, you can guarantee that somebody will indeed partially quote a comment and misrepresent the meaning.
Frankly, if people are near enough to smell it, they are indeed too near.

Yes, you can guarantee that somebody will indeed partially quote a comment and misrepresent the meaning.
It isn't a misrepresentation at all. I asked a simple question "So what's your point, it's ok to stink folk out a few times a day."
You answered " Yes, why not " . the rest which is irrelevant to the question was you trying to justify it by comparing to BBQs and cigarettes, Then go on to say they do pong and what you do to try and stop the pong.

My experience of a SOG
"Too near" is a bit subjective. I was on a stellplatz on the dockside in Hamburg where when busy you are parked cheek by jowl.It was very hot,so all windows open.The van next door had a SOG,I was heaving.

I think, on balance, it is perhaps better that a sog fan takes the smell outside where it can quickly dissipate rather than have it hang around in the enclosed space of the van for a varied amount of time linked to past diet.
I have no sense of smell and neither has my wife, we took our granddaughter on holiday to France and on the first night she asked what the smell was, as soon as we knew I bought a SOG, I was thinking about all the times we had people sitting inside with us and we were oblivious to any odours, I am quite happy if someone doesn't like SOGs to park away from me, I didn't fit it to upset or offend anyone, if either of us could detect odours we wouldn't have had to buy one, it seems to me we have to have somebody else's approval on here to do anything

Think if you want a sog best option has to be a roof vent - underfloor or in side of vehicle it can smell unless you change the carbon filter yearly ( i think ) which a lot of people dont bother doing

Every time that the SOG issue, is debated, there is much misinformation. It seems, that, you either love them, or hate them.
I've fitted them, to our last two motorhomes, and have been using them for over 20 yrs, now. In my experience, they work fine, with NO problems, as long as the filters are changed, as required.
Also, regarding using soap tablets. etc, in a cassette toilet, they DON'T have to be bio, any washing tablet will do. It's the "soapiness", that does the trick.
Even washing up liquid, will work.

In order to keep cassette emptying to a minimum we have done the following
1. We start with 1.5 litres of water and 120ml of toilet chemical.
2. From soon after we bought the van 11 years ago we did not use the water flush as we found it was not very effective at cleaning the bowl and the flush filled the cassette with water. We find a manual clean works better.
3. More recently I have been using a pee bottle, so no male urine going into the cassette.
The cassette now lasts 6 nights, it could possibly go for 7 nights.

Towards the end there is some odour so I am looking at fitting a SOG. Also I like that there is no need to chemicals, which makes more disposal points available.

Some questions for fellow Wildcampers with personal experience of SOG.
1. What are the main benefits of a SOG. It's not cost saving as for the SOG price of £174.50 you can buy a lot of chemicals.

2. The cassette door on our Adria Twin PVC is hinged at the bottom. The installation videos show a side hinged door. Any observations re fitting with a bottom hinged door?
3. I read that 'the contents of the cassette are decomposed more than without SOG', but also that the oduur increases the longer it is not emptied, also a strong odour when emptying. How long do people go between emptying?

thanks for sharing
Hi we had a 57 plate Adria Twin van from new until March with a SOG fitted, no problem with the door hinge just leave a little longer air hose and let it coil to the right of the tank as you close the door.
Dave

Reactions: UFO

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back