More toilet talk - SOG

I have no sense of smell and neither has my wife, we took our granddaughter on holiday to France and on the first night she asked what the smell was, as soon as we knew I bought a SOG, I was thinking about all the times we had people sitting inside with us and we were oblivious to any odours, I am quite happy if someone doesn't like SOGs to park away from me, I didn't fit it to upset or offend anyone, if either of us could detect odours we wouldn't have had to buy one, it seems to me we have to have somebody else's approval on here to do anything
I was merely pointing out that in some circumstances like it or not we have to park close to each other and if the filter is not changed regularly,as I guess was the case in my experience,yes they stink.Not saying people should not fit them,maybe just a little more consideration for others?

In order to keep cassette emptying to a minimum we have done the following
1. We start with 1.5 litres of water and 120ml of toilet chemical.
2. From soon after we bought the van 11 years ago we did not use the water flush as we found it was not very effective at cleaning the bowl and the flush filled the cassette with water. We find a manual clean works better.
3. More recently I have been using a pee bottle, so no male urine going into the cassette.
The cassette now lasts 6 nights, it could possibly go for 7 nights.

Towards the end there is some odour so I am looking at fitting a SOG. Also I like that there is no need to chemicals, which makes more disposal points available.

Some questions for fellow Wildcampers with personal experience of SOG.
1. What are the main benefits of a SOG. It's not cost saving as for the SOG price of £174.50 you can buy a lot of chemicals.

2. The cassette door on our Adria Twin PVC is hinged at the bottom. The installation videos show a side hinged door. Any observations re fitting with a bottom hinged door?
3. I read that 'the contents of the cassette are decomposed more than without SOG', but also that the oduur increases the longer it is not emptied, also a strong odour when emptying. How long do people go between emptying?

thanks for sharing

Good Morning UFO, I've have just installed a SOG system with the outlet through the roof and we find it very good, there is no smells in the living area and we can't smell it outside our motorhome as it goes out at the top of the motorhome and away it goes. expensive but worth the money for piece of mind.

I really do wonder what one the earth some people do. (it's not that my **** doesn't stink, I know it does.
I've been using chemical toilets for over 30 years. Our current vehicle has the toilet below the bed in our wet room.
If you don't close the hatch you soon know it.
Even in our 608 with a small shower/toilet room there was not a problem. The the floor and roof had ventilation which is just good building practice.
I'm sure the practice of not using the correct chemicals has a lot to do with it. To many try too hard to save money. It sounds very much like leaving your rubbish at the site you just stopped at.

I bought one at the Campsite shop in Armacao de Pere in January this year, paid 165 Euros and fitted it myself. Works a treat, I don't use chemicals and wish I'd bought one sooner, but I've noted the tip about fish tank filters. When/if I get 'tenting' neighbours, I will ask them and let you know.
Re the bottom hinged door, is there room to fit the fan unit in the floor or the 'van body? Or fit as shown and use a longer hose and you will have to modify the preassembled wiring loom.
Re 'pong', that is reduced to nil, well almost following a good curry. I still flush, so emptying frequency remains the same.
Re other fan options, the fan needs to pull air through the cassette to work as intended.

Reactions: UFO
Also, regarding using soap tablets. etc, in a cassette toilet, they DON'T have to be bio, any washing tablet will do. It's the "soapiness", that does the trick.
Even washing up liquid, will work.
That's interesting, never tried non-bio. I always thought it was the biological action magic trickery that broke down the solids. WIll try non bio as an experiment.

All this toilet talk reminds me....
"Mum, can I lick the bowl"
"No, flush it like everyone else" :D

Hi we had a 57 plate Adria Twin van from new until March with a SOG fitted, no problem with the door hinge just leave a little longer air hose and let it coil to the right of the tank as you close the door.
Dave
Word of warning. With the type for a swivel toilet that connects to the cap make sure the pipe is tucked away upwards, because downwards and on a steep hill the contents can slosh into the pipe and symphony out through the door vent...doesnt do the fan any good at all...or the poor b———-r who has to clean it up!

On a sobering note. There seems to be a world shortage of Lidl bio sachets. I've been in three so far and the shelf was bare. In desperation. I've had to buy concentrated bio liquid. I do hope I don't get a lot of bubbles

Every time that the SOG issue, is debated, there is much misinformation. It seems, that, you either love them, or hate them.
I've fitted them, to our last two motorhomes, and have been using them for over 20 yrs, now. In my experience, they work fine, with NO problems, as long as the filters are changed, as required.
Also, regarding using soap tablets. etc, in a cassette toilet, they DON'T have to be bio, any washing tablet will do. It's the "soapiness", that does the trick.
Totally agree,it's a popular misconception that Bio is better.I have tried both and no difference at all,it is the detergent action that is important.Don't use Bio in the washing machine at home either, why put enzymes into our rivers?They could have no effect but I prefer not to.

Last edited:
My father was told to save his urine so he could drink it later! Apparently he had some tablets to add to it first.
Sell it to the local tannery.thats where the saying he's got a pot to piss comes from

I don't buy the proper sog filters as they are a rip off, B&Q cooker hood filter cut to the correct size, 5 layers will do the trick, change at regular intervals no problem 😇
SOG also have other uses, we had a not very nice German came and parked next to us, a proper :poop: head and as his door was in line with the sog I took the filter out, wicked :devilish:😂

Every time that the SOG issue, is debated, there is much misinformation. It seems, that, you either love them, or hate them.
I've fitted them, to our last two motorhomes, and have been using them for over 20 yrs, now. In my experience, they work fine, with NO problems, as long as the filters are changed, as required.
That's fine as long as you are not discharging into a septic tank ..................

That's fine as long as you are not discharging into a septic tank ..................
Ordinary household detergents will be fine in a septic tank,after all that's where the washing up water goes to,or did on my last house.Bio does not stand for more environmentally friendly but biological washing action.

Ordinary household detergents will be fine in a septic tank,after all that's where the washing up water goes to,or did on my last house.Bio does not stand for more environmentally friendly but biological washing action.
Strictly speaking it should go to a soakaway .............

had my SOG for years and love it no smell inside the motorhome, like the tip about the fish tank filters :):)

In order to keep cassette emptying to a minimum we have done the following
1. We start with 1.5 litres of water and 120ml of toilet chemical.
2. From soon after we bought the van 11 years ago we did not use the water flush as we found it was not very effective at cleaning the bowl and the flush filled the cassette with water. We find a manual clean works better.
3. More recently I have been using a pee bottle, so no male urine going into the cassette.
The cassette now lasts 6 nights, it could possibly go for 7 nights.

Towards the end there is some odour so I am looking at fitting a SOG. Also I like that there is no need to chemicals, which makes more disposal points available.

Some questions for fellow Wildcampers with personal experience of SOG.
1. What are the main benefits of a SOG. It's not cost saving as for the SOG price of £174.50 you can buy a lot of chemicals.

2. The cassette door on our Adria Twin PVC is hinged at the bottom. The installation videos show a side hinged door. Any observations re fitting with a bottom hinged door?
3. I read that 'the contents of the cassette are decomposed more than without SOG', but also that the oduur increases the longer it is not emptied, also a strong odour when emptying. How long do people go between emptying?

thanks for sharing
I have a sog on my Hymer, already fitted when I bought it. They start to suck air out as soon as you open the flap so less smell coming out the bowl which does help. Care has to be taken emptying as there is a hose connection on the spout.

Bio wash tabs are good to use, or better still Aldi's green bottle of laundry liquid. Only a small amount needed, and toilet stays fresh and clean. I've used it for years.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back