More toilet talk - SOG

UFO

In order to keep cassette emptying to a minimum we have done the following
1. We start with 1.5 litres of water and 120ml of toilet chemical.
2. From soon after we bought the van 11 years ago we did not use the water flush as we found it was not very effective at cleaning the bowl and the flush filled the cassette with water. We find a manual clean works better.
3. More recently I have been using a pee bottle, so no male urine going into the cassette.
The cassette now lasts 6 nights, it could possibly go for 7 nights.

Towards the end there is some odour so I am looking at fitting a SOG. Also I like that there is no need to chemicals, which makes more disposal points available.

Some questions for fellow Wildcampers with personal experience of SOG.
1. What are the main benefits of a SOG. It's not cost saving as for the SOG price of £174.50 you can buy a lot of chemicals.

2. The cassette door on our Adria Twin PVC is hinged at the bottom. The installation videos show a side hinged door. Any observations re fitting with a bottom hinged door?
3. I read that 'the contents of the cassette are decomposed more than without SOG', but also that the oduur increases the longer it is not emptied, also a strong odour when emptying. How long do people go between emptying?

thanks for sharing

Would not a cheaper option to be, putting a small 12 volt fan in the floor between your toilet and the door. Even a very small fan should be able to pull out any nasty niffs. You shouldn't be able to hear the fan and it shouldn't consume much electric.

The fan in my SOG had lost several blades before I bought the van. Then it started vibrating and that made more blades fall off, then the fan kept falling off the spindle. Just a push fit that had worked loose.
So I looked at the price of a replacement. It was a joke. For less than a twentieth of the money I bought two small computer fans of different designs.
I used one as a replacement and it has been fine for about seven years now, I think.
The other fan languished in an odds-and-ends box until a year or two ago, when it entered service as an internal fan in the fridge, to keep air moving when it is very full.
The carbon filters should be cleaned and/or replaced regularly, but the price is another joke. You can buy exactly the same thing for fish tank filters at about 5% of the price.
There's nothing wrong with a SOG, but you're buying stuff that looks like it came from a pound shop.

We have a sog, wish I had fitted a roof vent and not one in the door..
Carbon filters dont last long but I can put up with the smell...

My experience of sogs was tent camping beside a motorhome with a sog, it was obvious to everyone that the filter was nor working, it was not a nice experience.
Just the same as I've experienced parked next to one terrible the filters are expensive and user's don't change them often enough or try some inferior product

2. From soon after we bought the van 11 years ago we did not use the water flush as we found it was not very effective at cleaning the bowl and the flush filled the cassette with water. We find a manual clean works better.
3. More recently I have been using a pee bottle, so no male urine going into the cassette.

With the lack of liquid going into the cassette do you need a ice-cream scoop to empty it. :LOL:

Last edited:

Towards the end there is some odour so I am looking at fitting a SOG. Also I like that there is no need to chemicals, which makes more disposal points available.

Some questions for fellow Wildcampers with personal experience of SOG.
1. What are the main benefits of a SOG. It's not cost saving as for the SOG price of £174.50 you can buy a lot of chemicals.

2. The cassette door on our Adria Twin PVC is hinged at the bottom. The installation videos show a side hinged door. Any observations re fitting with a bottom hinged door?
3. I read that 'the contents of the cassette are decomposed more than without SOG', but also that the oduur increases the longer it is not emptied, also a strong odour when emptying. How long do people go between emptying?

thanks for sharing
In point 1 replace toilet chemical with a couple of biodegradable tablets. In point 2 using a spray of Rainx prior to a blunderbuss type sh1te will let the flusher see it off. In point 3 l completely agree with you. Have you also thought about buying a spare cassette enabling you to last longer between empties.

£18 for a replacement carbon filter for the Thetford version of the sog. Ours vents under the van and after 4 years I don’t notice a bad odour, and we don’t use any chemicals at all.
But then my wife says ladies only fart rose petals and poo bars of soap!! Perhaps that helps?

Davy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back