More good news

campervanannie

A network of French style 'aires' will be developed in Gwynedd to allow campervans to stay overnight in the county's towns. Gwynedd Council has secured funding for six sites that will be located within walking distance of town centres.

These small urban stopover sites are common in France and last year CAMPRA - the Campaign for Real Aires UK - called for them to be rolled out in the UK. Gwynedd council has received £240,000 in funding from Welsh Government to develop their Aros-fan project.

They will upgrade assets such as public car parks in six destinations. It will provide a network of locations that will create legitimate provision for 'overnight' parking and sleeping throughout the year for motorhomes.

READ MORE: Holidaymakers staying in Wales WON'T have to pay tourism tax for 'years'

The idea is also that because they are centrally located they help bring money into shops, pubs and restaurants in these communities. They will also help reduce illegal and inappropriate parking by some campervan owners.

It is part of Welsh Government’s Brilliant Basics capital fund will be shared among 18 projects that will help deliver small-scale infrastructure improvements in strategically important tourism locations across Wales.

Dafydd Williams, head of Environment for Gwynedd Council, said: “Gwynedd Council has undertaken significant research into motorhomes in the county and has listened to the views of communities, motorhome owners and camp site operators in order to understand illegal or inappropriate overnight stays within the county.

“Through the Brilliant Basics funded project we will pilot a network of up to six ‘Aros-fan’ sites across Gwynedd which will provide appropriate over-night provision for motorhomes and campervans with their own on board facilities.”

Sioned Williams, head of Economy and Community for Gwynedd Council, said: “In order to support the local economy, all six sites will be located within walking distance to key towns and destinations, will have basic services and will operate a strict 48 hour maximum stay.

Although these facilities will not be operational this summer, we hope that all relevant infrastructure will be in place by Spring 2023. If the pilot proves successful - the council may consider the development of further Aros-fan facilities in the county in the future."

Last time we went away we tried to figure out how far we could push my blue badge IE could we stay overnight somewhere where we normally would not be allowed, I doubt it, but it was an interesting thought.

some other place in Europe.....?. 6 is a good start tho..are they banning caravans too ! as it just takes to long to get there, when stuck behind one.
We love you annie

I would say yes you can, will let you know if/when I do it 👍
The trouble is all it does is let you stay a little longer or free usually, not sure you could get away with it on yellow lines, and to be honest It's only, in theory, I'd not do it in case it somehow reduced what was available for badge holders somewhere, councils are restrictive enough without giving them an excuse.

The trouble is all it does is let you stay a little longer or free usually, not sure you could get away with it on yellow lines, and to be honest It's only, in theory, I'd not do it in case it somehow reduced what was available for badge holders somewhere, councils are restrictive enough without giving them an excuse.
When the new bill comes into force is when I may do it, see what happens. I don’t tend to stop in urban areas except when shopping so it may never happen on yellows though. 👍

I would say yes you can, will let you know if/when I do it 👍
A blue badge is for parking. Not the right to park overnight
This was tried last week at a national trust overnight in the lakes we were at.
Two of us parked up in car park I begrudgingly paid £10 even as a member.
The other guy pointed to his blue badge. It’s free for me.
Well it was free until the rangers came the following morning. He paid his £10
I spoke with the rangers I have to say I agree with them it is an abuse of the badge

A blue badge is for parking. Not the right to park overnight
This was tried last week at a national trust overnight in the lakes we were at.
Two of us parked up in car park I begrudgingly paid £10 even as a member.
The other guy pointed to his blue badge. It’s free for me.
Well it was free until the rangers came the following morning. He paid his £10
I spoke with the rangers I have to say I agree with them it is an abuse of the badge
Blue badge doesn’t mean you get free parking, it should mean you can park somewhere that you can get in and out the car ok. It’s supposed to level the playing field. It states with the badge how to use it and it can be overnight but depends on where you are. It doesn’t mean you can do anything you want.

I use my badge if I take a disabled spot in a car park while shopping or maybe looking round and parking roadside. Any signage that allows free parking with a blue badge should state how it applies so I guess in your example the signs weren’t specific or the guy was being a dick. 😁

We are not talking about private car parks I don't think, we're NTS members and it's free for us anyway, but as I already said I wouldn't want to abuse the badge, which could possibly end up with you losing it anyway but unlikely as not many people have the right to see the identity on it.

This is handy to have I downloaded it to my phone as I use my badge on several vehicles.

This is a bit ambiguous though
Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours, but in general not where there are restrictions on loading or unloading - indicated by yellow kerb dashes and / or signs on plates. You may wish to check whether a particular local council has chosen to exempt Blue Badge holders from this restriction.

This is handy to have I downloaded it to my phone as I use my badge on several vehicles.

This is a bit ambiguous though
Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours, but in general not where there are restrictions on loading or unloading - indicated by yellow kerb dashes and / or signs on plates. You may wish to check whether a particular local council has chosen to exempt Blue Badge holders from this restriction.
You also need to check council websites about use of blue badges issued by anther council for example in Southend a badge issued by another council cannot be used there and there are lots of there councils with the same rules this only applies to on street parking.

I thought it was a UK wide thing but it does say some areas might be different outside England, so I went to the southend website and could find any reference to what you Say Annie, it's worrying as other councils might be the same.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back