More good news

A network of French style 'aires' will be developed in Gwynedd to allow campervans to stay overnight in the county's towns. Gwynedd Council has secured funding for six sites that will be located within walking distance of town centres.

These small urban stopover sites are common in France and last year CAMPRA - the Campaign for Real Aires UK - called for them to be rolled out in the UK. Gwynedd council has received £240,000 in funding from Welsh Government to develop their Aros-fan project.

They will upgrade assets such as public car parks in six destinations. It will provide a network of locations that will create legitimate provision for 'overnight' parking and sleeping throughout the year for motorhomes.

READ MORE: Holidaymakers staying in Wales WON'T have to pay tourism tax for 'years'

The idea is also that because they are centrally located they help bring money into shops, pubs and restaurants in these communities. They will also help reduce illegal and inappropriate parking by some campervan owners.

It is part of Welsh Government’s Brilliant Basics capital fund will be shared among 18 projects that will help deliver small-scale infrastructure improvements in strategically important tourism locations across Wales.

Dafydd Williams, head of Environment for Gwynedd Council, said: “Gwynedd Council has undertaken significant research into motorhomes in the county and has listened to the views of communities, motorhome owners and camp site operators in order to understand illegal or inappropriate overnight stays within the county.

“Through the Brilliant Basics funded project we will pilot a network of up to six ‘Aros-fan’ sites across Gwynedd which will provide appropriate over-night provision for motorhomes and campervans with their own on board facilities.”

Sioned Williams, head of Economy and Community for Gwynedd Council, said: “In order to support the local economy, all six sites will be located within walking distance to key towns and destinations, will have basic services and will operate a strict 48 hour maximum stay.

Although these facilities will not be operational this summer, we hope that all relevant infrastructure will be in place by Spring 2023. If the pilot proves successful - the council may consider the development of further Aros-fan facilities in the county in the future."
Has this happene? I cannot find any recent updates on this facility - great idea however!

I'm not so sure it is a good idea at all for anywhere, I'm in Ireland and there are loads of places to stay, loads of places to buy food etc to cook or eat in the van, but you try disposing of the packaging anywhere, there are no bins hardly and when you do find one it is overflowing or the aperture is so small a coffee cup is about the size you can put in them .

Yes the 17th of this month . you can now fall asleep at the wheel all the while not exceeding 20 MPH

I'm not so sure it is a good idea at all for anywhere, I'm in Ireland and there are loads of places to stay, loads of places to buy food etc to cook or eat in the van, but you try disposing of the packaging anywhere, there are no bins hardly and when you do find one it is overflowing or the aperture is so small a coffee cup is about the size you can put in them .
That's because you're supposed to take it to the local recycling centre.
They have to pay for rubbish disposal there. There is a big fine for putting household rubbish in public bins so watch out!

That's because you're supposed to take it to the local recycling centre.
They have to pay for rubbish disposal there. There is a big fine for putting household rubbish in public bins so watch out!
Thats because folk down suff dont pay rates but have to buy tickes to pay for home bins to be emptied, hence ones near the norths border sneek over and dump there sh-t here for free.

A network of French style 'aires' will be developed in Gwynedd to allow campervans to stay overnight in the county's towns. Gwynedd Council has secured funding for six sites that will be located within walking distance of town centres.

These small urban stopover sites are common in France and last year CAMPRA - the Campaign for Real Aires UK - called for them to be rolled out in the UK. Gwynedd council has received £240,000 in funding from Welsh Government to develop their Aros-fan project.

They will upgrade assets such as public car parks in six destinations. It will provide a network of locations that will create legitimate provision for 'overnight' parking and sleeping throughout the year for motorhomes.

READ MORE: Holidaymakers staying in Wales WON'T have to pay tourism tax for 'years'

The idea is also that because they are centrally located they help bring money into shops, pubs and restaurants in these communities. They will also help reduce illegal and inappropriate parking by some campervan owners.

It is part of Welsh Government’s Brilliant Basics capital fund will be shared among 18 projects that will help deliver small-scale infrastructure improvements in strategically important tourism locations across Wales.

Dafydd Williams, head of Environment for Gwynedd Council, said: “Gwynedd Council has undertaken significant research into motorhomes in the county and has listened to the views of communities, motorhome owners and camp site operators in order to understand illegal or inappropriate overnight stays within the county.

“Through the Brilliant Basics funded project we will pilot a network of up to six ‘Aros-fan’ sites across Gwynedd which will provide appropriate over-night provision for motorhomes and campervans with their own on board facilities.”

Sioned Williams, head of Economy and Community for Gwynedd Council, said: “In order to support the local economy, all six sites will be located within walking distance to key towns and destinations, will have basic services and will operate a strict 48 hour maximum stay.

Although these facilities will not be operational this summer, we hope that all relevant infrastructure will be in place by Spring 2023. If the pilot proves successful - the council may consider the development of further Aros-fan facilities in the county in the future."
Which towns please?

It's the same in Germany. I rode around for ages in Bavaria once trying to get shot of a rotten chicken. In the end I threw it off a cliff into a forest. I was shitting myself as the German eco mafia are renowned for being a bit hardcore. I was expecting helicopters, sirens and swat teams as soon as said chicken became airborne. It's a few years ago now so I reckon I got away with it.

A few of the garages have bins so we keep the bags small and unlike in the UK there are plenty of them even in small towns, great for food too.

Hopefully not £30 per night.
Makes it nothing like a french aire in that case!!! Yiu can buy a house in France for £30 …… ok maybe a little optimistic but ….?? Plenty great basic sites under £25 many under £20. Rarely used a site other than to empty water and toilet. Have never parked inappropriately or caused inconvenience to others. You have to think outside the box and thankfully 95% of the sheep don’t ! Long may that continue !!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back