Mobile 3/4g signal booster

barryd

On our epic UK tour last year which was mainly rural and island locations despite having loads of data on my phone half the time we really struggled with getting a decent voice and data signal. Generally there was some kind of signal, just very very weak and unusable half the time. I know there are Mifi solutions with roof mounted antennas but presumably these require a separate sim. What I would like to explore is improving the signal in the van for our two smart phones one of which is also used as a hot spot for our two laptops.

I found this https://www.ukmobilebooster.com/products/cvc-mobile-booster

Any ideas? Anyone have a good solution?

Sometimes getting to the bottom of the problem is complicated. It could be a problem with the network, mast or type of modem in the phone. I would first try a SIM from a different competitor network in the place where you have problems. If they are both problematic your solution lies elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't start with a booster.

As for the roof system you mention, why don't you ask your provider if they do dual SIM deals. They Give you another SIM which uses the data on your phone package. There's no extra data charges as you use your phone data. You will proba pay £10 or so for the SIM. This probably the best idea if you're happy to shell out for the kit. If you do, go for the 300Mbps capable mifi. They give you much higher speeds than cheaper 4G ones.

Trying a different provider is a good suggestion worked for me at home changed from 3 to vodafone and had a large signal increase. Can't make any suggestions for UK but this setup is all I've used in Europe
and if signal was low which was not often I used this which made the difference

Unfortunately Im stuck with Vodafone. Its the only sim that works where I live. Its important for calls as well as data so I somehow need to boost the phones signal rather than just stick a mifi in with a roof mounted antenna which I know I can do. I suppose I could do that with another SIM and then do wifi calling via the router but it means buying more kit and another data contract which is why I wondered if there was a way of just amplifying the Vodafone signal in the van. I appreciate you couldnt do this if there was no signal but the main issue was the signal being extremely weak or coming and going.

Et phone home.
dish.png

On our epic UK tour last year which was mainly rural and island locations despite having loads of data on my phone half the time we really struggled with getting a decent voice and data signal. Generally there was some kind of signal, just very very weak and unusable half the time. I know there are Mifi solutions with roof mounted antennas but presumably these require a separate sim. What I would like to explore is improving the signal in the van for our two smart phones one of which is also used as a hot spot for our two laptops.

I found this https://www.ukmobilebooster.com/products/cvc-mobile-booster

Any ideas? Anyone have a good solution?
I would love to find a solution to the same problem as yours. At the moment the best I have is a lanyard attached to the hotspot phone so I can put it in the raised skylight, when the signal is weak.

When we first started wild camping I found that just a high gain aerial on the roof of the van could make an appreciable difference to a weak signal.

When we first started wild camping I found that just a high gain aerial on the roof of the van could make an appreciable difference to a weak signal.

But what is it connected to and how? How does it improve the signal to the phone(s)

I know there are signal boosters for the home like Vodafone Suresignal but they work off 240v and use a landline broadband router but obviously no good in a motorhome.

weve got a flat on south coast, our ee phones wouldnt work at all , weve changed to vodafone sims, calls work most of the time data is iffy , sometimes have to go for a walk to get a wats ap to send. forget hotspot for wifi an the 3 sim wont work in the tablet either. our mifi wouldnt work either so we had to get a phoneline for broadband.

as i understand it theres no way to attach a better bigger antenna to a mobile phone. the only option is the signal boosters that receive the weak signal , amplify it and re broadcast it......not sure ide want to be rebroadcasting a strong mobile phone signal inside a metal van or even close to me in a house.

mind you i did complain about weak signal years ago an the helpful call handler said theyed turn the transmitter power up for me!

I tried various options to improve connection on our 3 mobile phones in some of the, out of the way places we stop
before finally giving up and fitting a Teltonica router with a EE data sim and external aerial mounted on the lift up pole that the TV aerial is on....

Not cheapest option BUT if we can't get signal now....
There is definitely no signal to be had Barring satellite ;-)
(the lift up TV aerial also means there's few places we can't get a decent range of TV stations too)

I tried various options to improve connection on our 3 mobile phones in some of the, out of the way places we stop
before finally giving up and fitting a Teltonica router with a EE data sim and external aerial mounted on the lift up pole that the TV aerial is on....

Not cheapest option BUT if we can't get signal now....
There is definitely no signal to be had Barring satellite ;-)
(the lift up TV aerial also means there's few places we can't get a decent range of TV stations too)

I think this is the conclusion I have come to. I contacted Addie (who I know of old) from www.motorhomewifi.com and he told me that signal boosters in vehicles are actually illegal but low gain boosters are allowed like this one mainly designed for trucks but not cheap. https://signalboosters.co.uk/products/cel-fi-go-m-truck-bundle-for-trucks

He pretty much said the same as you an EE Sim in a router. He also said EE use a higher frequency which responds especially well to use of an antenna and carries far more data (faster speeds) than Vodafone as they have 3x as many masts. Vodafone (who I am with) use a lower frequency - good for calls and coverage, but limited for speeds.

I would also want to do wifi calling and my ageing Samsung Galaxy doesn't have it.

So Im probably looking at £300+ for new kit, at least one new phone and an EE sim contract. Its starting to add up a bit.

I think this is the conclusion I have come to. I contacted Addie (who I know of old) from www.motorhomewifi.com and he told me that signal boosters in vehicles are actually illegal but low gain boosters are allowed like this one mainly designed for trucks but not cheap. https://signalboosters.co.uk/products/cel-fi-go-m-truck-bundle-for-trucks

He pretty much said the same as you an EE Sim in a router. He also said EE use a higher frequency which responds especially well to use of an antenna and carries far more data (faster speeds) than Vodafone as they have 3x as many masts. Vodafone (who I am with) use a lower frequency - good for calls and coverage, but limited for speeds.

I would also want to do wifi calling and my ageing Samsung Galaxy doesn't have it.

So Im probably looking at £300+ for new kit, at least one new phone and an EE sim contract. Its starting to add up a bit.
I paid £80 for a used teltonika router 4g... BUT out in the sticks 5g is thin on the ground anyway
And £40 for a second hand directional antenna/cable

Then a sim from EE at whatever capacity you wish to spend...

There's plenty of bargains, out there as the techy types love to upgrade so often ;-)

Obviously I pfaffed with some brackets etc to get it to all work and a, spanky new TV aerial too lol.

You don't need to have a contract directly with EE. Other operators piggyback on their network. For example, I have just purchased a 1p Mobile sim for my phone and am intending to obtain another for my mifi. Their 30 day data bundles are fairly competitive and, interestingly, unlike others, if you run out of data before time is up you don't have to wait; you can just buy another bundle immediately.

I also have a 'smarty' sim (3 network) to swap out when EE coverage is poor as these two networks are predominant in my usual hunting ground, Wales.

When the Huawei mifi packs up I'll change to a Teltonika with inbuilt dual sim support and plug the Poynting antenna into that.

but it means buying more kit and another data contract
GifGaf using o2 & Asda mobile using Vodafone do monthly deals so you could just buy a month when you need it top either up when you want or not

Unfortunately Im stuck with Vodafone. Its the only sim that works where I live. Its important for calls as well as data so I somehow need to boost the phones signal rather than just stick a mifi in with a roof mounted antenna which I know I can do. I suppose I could do that with another SIM and then do wifi calling via the router but it means buying more kit and another data contract which is why I wondered if there was a way of just amplifying the Vodafone signal in the van. I appreciate you couldnt do this if there was no signal but the main issue was the signal being extremely weak or coming and going.
I think I may have accidentally mislead you ...... we have just returned to the UK after many years in France where the networks allow you to have a second sim on the same contract using the same data in a mifi device and your phone. Im not sure that the same things are available in the UK ☹️ I looked, but can't find any.

Thanks for the further replies. While searching I came across a thread on another motorhome forum where a Huawei b535 router was recommended. I think its 12v. It also happens to be one EE bundle with a unlimited SIM contract. http://www.three.co.uk/Huawei/4G-Hu...en-cI1Y3-OBR3QCo274aAj3cEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I thought for a while about dumping our BT Landline and Broadband because I dont think I can rely on 4g here. Vodafone is generally better than my ADSL line but not always and subject to the odd flaky drop out and I thought EE was pretty much none existent around here but according to the EE coverage site I should now get good 4g coverage indoors and out (will believe it when I see it). So I am now wondering if its worth either buying one and a test EE Sim or taking out a 24 month contract and dumping my broadband then taking the router with me in the van.

Its just an idea I am tossing around at the moment.

But what is it connected to and how? How does it improve the signal to the phone(s)

I know there are signal boosters for the home like Vodafone Suresignal but they work off 240v and use a landline broadband router but obviously no good in a motorhome.
Ah yes, I was probably connecting it to my laptop, sorry.
Have you tried looking to see if Solwise offer anything, they're very good.

Ah yes, I was probably connecting it to my laptop, sorry.
Have you tried looking to see if Solwise offer anything, they're very good.

I think from research its a non starter trying to "boost" a phone signal in the motorhome. I am now considering the possibility of a powerful router I can use both at home and in the van with an unlimited SIM which could also potentially mean I can dump my frankly rubbish and over priced BT Broadband line. However its not straight forward as mobile signal here is not great and there is also the issue that I will lose access to BT Wifi hotspots. Not a problem as long as the router and sim works wherever I go but how likely is that?

I might end up just buying a 12v Router with an EE PAYG Sim and hoping it works when the Vodafone phones dont.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back