Mirror temperature sensor

We had the same sensor failure on daughters Fiat 500 petrol. Didn't affect engine running but the lack of outside temperature reading disabled the air con. I soldered on a cheap replacement which worked well. They are just a simple thermistor in a plastic housing.

Sometimes even minor apparent faults have knock-on effects.

Keith

Below is all you need off ebay. Bit of a faff getting the controls off the door and feeding the sensor through. Door mirror had obviously been changed for an ebay special some time and no hole for the sensor. Put the sensor in the hinged part. It is well outside the van so the reading should be very close to ambient air temp. The connector on the end pushes straight into the socket for the sensor in the controls on the inside of the door. Works well.

NTC Thermistor Temperature Sensor Waterproof Probe 25mm 10K 1% 3950 1m cable UK.
£3.45
Sold by:
dolphin114

Below is all you need off ebay. Bit of a faff getting the controls off the door and feeding the sensor through. Door mirror had obviously been changed for an ebay special some time and no hole for the sensor. Put the sensor in the hinged part. It is well outside the van so the reading should be very close to ambient air temp. The connector on the end pushes straight into the socket for the sensor in the controls on the inside of the door. Works well.

NTC Thermistor Temperature Sensor Waterproof Probe 25mm 10K 1% 3950 1m cable UK.
£3.45
Sold by:
dolphin114
At £3.45 and the seller is making a profit, I would be very wary of the quality of the item. But if you want to take a chance. The choice is there.

Copy past and URL IS GEEK TO ME
1723802842902.png

And if the temp isn't displayed on dashboard, and there is no housing for it in the mirror, where does the ECU get this temp from?
Offside door mirror, the blip underneath it.
The nearside mirror has the outside widget under it too and costs several hundred pounds to replace with genuine.

We had the same sensor failure on daughters Fiat 500 petrol. Didn't affect engine running but the lack of outside temperature reading disabled the air con. I soldered on a cheap replacement which worked well. They are just a simple thermistor in a plastic housing.

Sometimes even minor apparent faults have knock-on effects.

Keith
Our x250 ac still works, temp reads 80c

This might interest some people with Sevel based vans, Boxer/Ducato etc. since last winter the bag of spanners rattle engine sound has been worse than ever and I have noticed that the engine gives a little rattle when speed increases just before a gear change up. Lastcweekcicnorices that the ATS (?Ambient temperature sensor) on the bottom of the offside mirror was giving a false reading. The real temperature was 2 1 but the dash indicator was showing 8. I checked several times and got various readings 1,4, 12 etc so i thought that might need attention. My garage advised me against an eBay’s special at £10 as being unreliable so I purchased a genuine one from a main dealer £80. The sensor has been fitted and now the temperature read correct. Wow, what a difference. The engine is much quieter with only slight rattle from cold which stops after a few minutes and going through the gears, even reving up to and over 3000rpm no rattle at all. Garage man says it’s essential that the ATS works properly as it connects to several engine items controlled by the engine software and these settings, if incorrect, can cause all sorts of issues, not least a blocked DPF. So if you have such a sensor on you mirror which gives an incorrect dash reading you might think about getting it sorted.
I was not aware that the dps temperature sensor under the os rhd mirror gave a readout on the dash, rather the ns mirror ambient temperature sensor tells u the temp on the dash, usefull in very cold weather. Mine always reads 80c so is kaput but van rins just fine.

At £3.45 and the seller is making a profit, I would be very wary of the quality of the item. But if you want to take a chance. The choice is there.
You can be as wary as you like. Overall the quality was very good, thanks. The working bit is only a thermistor worth a few pence, but this one was well encapsulated in a thin stainless tube, the wires were well fixed in and the connector on the end fitted perfectly. If the reading on the screen comes up with the right sort of figure then all is well.

My Series 9 Ducato has the temperature sensor in the mirror and doubtless needs an accurate air temperature for various technical processes and functions. However I have yet to discover how to get a temperature reading up on the 7” display. Any ideas?

My Series 9 Ducato has the temperature sensor in the mirror and doubtless needs an accurate air temperature for various technical processes and functions. However I have yet to discover how to get a temperature reading up on the 7” display. Any ideas?
If the temp reading is just ---, then your thermistor is not connected or has failed somehow. Not good for the dpf if you have a later model. A few u tube videos out there showing how to get mirror and controls off. You could just open the controls in the drivers door arm rest. There is a small plug and socket in there going to the temp sensor. Get the sensor I noted before, for not much money and try it in the socket. If you then get a temp reading on your display you know what the problem is.

If the temp reading is just ---, then your thermistor is not connected or has failed somehow. Not good for the dpf if you have a later model. A few u tube videos out there showing how to get mirror and controls off. You could just open the controls in the drivers door arm rest. There is a small plug and socket in there going to the temp sensor. Get the sensor I noted before, for not much money and try it in the socket. If you then get a temp reading on your display you know what the problem is.
No reason to think the thermistor is defective, I simply have not found a way to bring temperature up on the dash display, not even ---. I suspect there would be an engine warning if anything important was not working. I was just hoping someone might know if outside temperature was one of the options on the Series 9.

Back