Mirror temperature sensor

iandsm

This might interest some people with Sevel based vans, Boxer/Ducato etc. since last winter the bag of spanners rattle engine sound has been worse than ever and I have noticed that the engine gives a little rattle when speed increases just before a gear change up. Lastcweekcicnorices that the ATS (?Ambient temperature sensor) on the bottom of the offside mirror was giving a false reading. The real temperature was 2 1 but the dash indicator was showing 8. I checked several times and got various readings 1,4, 12 etc so i thought that might need attention. My garage advised me against an eBay’s special at £10 as being unreliable so I purchased a genuine one from a main dealer £80. The sensor has been fitted and now the temperature read correct. Wow, what a difference. The engine is much quieter with only slight rattle from cold which stops after a few minutes and going through the gears, even reving up to and over 3000rpm no rattle at all. Garage man says it’s essential that the ATS works properly as it connects to several engine items controlled by the engine software and these settings, if incorrect, can cause all sorts of issues, not least a blocked DPF. So if you have such a sensor on you mirror which gives an incorrect dash reading you might think about getting it sorted.

And if the temp isn't displayed on dashboard, and there is no housing for it in the mirror, where does the ECU get this temp from?

£80 I'd be shouting about it to all the time. No wonder you can't hear it rattle. Lol.

And if the temp isn't displayed on dashboard, and there is no housing for it in the mirror, where does the ECU get this temp from?
May be your mirror has been replaced with a cheap ebay mirror that dose not have a sensor fitted , or supplied for a left hand drive vehicle that has the sensor fitted on left hand mirror , I would check with your main dealer .,

This might interest some people with Sevel based vans, Boxer/Ducato etc. since last winter the bag of spanners rattle engine sound has been worse than ever and I have noticed that the engine gives a little rattle when speed increases just before a gear change up. Lastcweekcicnorices that the ATS (?Ambient temperature sensor) on the bottom of the offside mirror was giving a false reading. The real temperature was 2 1 but the dash indicator was showing 8. I checked several times and got various readings 1,4, 12 etc so i thought that might need attention. My garage advised me against an eBay’s special at £10 as being unreliable so I purchased a genuine one from a main dealer £80. The sensor has been fitted and now the temperature read correct. Wow, what a difference. The engine is much quieter with only slight rattle from cold which stops after a few minutes and going through the gears, even reving up to and over 3000rpm no rattle at all. Garage man says it’s essential that the ATS works properly as it connects to several engine items controlled by the engine software and these settings, if incorrect, can cause all sorts of issues, not least a blocked DPF. So if you have such a sensor on you mirror which gives an incorrect dash reading you might think about getting it sorted.
Thanks for posting ,How much did the total repair cost .

What year did they start fitting them?

Would mirror covers affect them?
On my 2011 x250 it's not fitted. I not sure it's year specific,rather model spec. However once I turned on the ignition and there was Deg.C displayed on the instrument cluster, but temperature was. --C . And never again has it been shown.
I have Fiat MultiEcu software and whilst I can read the values can't get it to display on the cluster.

Last edited:
On my 2011 x250 it's not fitted. I not sure it's year specific,rather model spec. However once I turned on the ignition and there was Deg.C displayed on the instrument cluster, but temperature was. --C . And never again has it been shown.
I have Fiat MultiEcu software and whilst I can read the values can't get it to display on the clust.
I found on ytube that is the mirror sender fault and needs replacing, as that temp sender is part of the dpf system

Is it just me that thinks things are getting far too complicated, I wish I still had a car with wind up windows and no electronics.
Since the electric windows stopped working and the temperature sensor failed, I have that very vehicle... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Can't do a link but this vidio is very Informative

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240814-175857_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240814-175857_Samsung Internet.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 24
Actually scanning it, the Temp sensor, that doesn't exist, shows a reading on -40c on MultiECUscan. And I couldn't find any ambient temp input to the sensor data. So presumably not revilvent on some models.

Actually scanning it, the Temp sensor, that doesn't exist, shows a reading on -40c on MultiECUscan. And I couldn't find any ambient temp input to the sensor data. So presumably not revilvent on some models.
Didn’t have one on our Euro 4 Rapido which didn’t have a DPF. . The one we have now is Euro 5 which does have a DPF.

Back