Mild Camping

We are in Italy at the moment and had a great laugh at your explanation. Here the Caravan Club rule of 8m between units has been lost in translation, for 8m read 8cm. The price for this comfort has translated inversely.
Things have got worse today on this Italian site, an English woosh bang has turned up and decided to take all of the tents avaiable space!! (look behind the Mini in the photo)

IMAG1594_1.jpgi

Things have got worse today on this Italian site, an English woosh bang has turned up and decided to take all of the tents avaiable space!! (look behind the Mini in the photo)

View attachment 72012i

Oh, the joys of campsites.

Just got back from 5 months in Spain without going near any of the wretched places. Just one night on an aire in San Sebastián €7.5 & 4 nights on an aire in Ayegui, 4 Euros for 4 nights.

Rest of the time we were on our own on deserted beaches, in marinas, mountainside locations, anywhere where there were no other vans.

Driving back through France we stayed on free village aires, away from main roads, where at most were 3 other vans.

I've just got home from a very enjoyable weekend at the New Forest Motorhomer Meet and had a great time, but having read the comments about straight lines and flimsy white boxes before I went I thought it ironic that on a meet, connected to this forum, we were all positioned in neat lines within defined boundaries

I've just got home from a very enjoyable weekend at the New Forest Motorhomer Meet and had a great time, but having read the comments about straight lines and flimsy white boxes before I went I thought it ironic that on a meet, connected to this forum, we were all positioned in neat lines within defined boundaries

That’s why I’ve never attended a meet!

So shall we form the Antisocial Social Society.
Rule one, we never meet.

Much prefer a remote lochside or deserted beach to a field beside a pub full of vans with flags on poles and people sitting on chairs talking about how much power their solar is making. :scared:

Much prefer a remote lochside or deserted beach to a field beside a pub full of vans with flags on poles and people sitting on chairs talking about how much power their solar is making. :scared:

Agreed - This pic taken a few days ago in the cairngorms (spot my camper!).
However, I am still troubled that I am a white blob in a beautiful landscape - seriously thinking of spraying it a more sympathetic colour...!
IMG_1018[1].jpg

Mountain biking and wildcamping heaven. Lots of nice peaceful places to spend the night in the Cairngorms. My vans stealth black and blends in well with the landscape.

Mountain biking and wildcamping heaven. Lots of nice peaceful places to spend the night in the Cairngorms. My vans stealth black and blends in well with the landscape.

NOT having a white or silver van is right at the top of my 'must have' list on the next (hopefully home built) van conversion.

Each their own I say and do what you like, as long as your respectful of others. I personally Wild Camp as preference if its a good location and/or quite out of season. Ive seen so many areas I use to park up (Wales and Cornwall) shut down during the past couple of years due to over use or idiots ruining it for others. Im happy to mild camp depending on where and when I want to be there, but I do try to find the small camp sites, where you park where you want on grass with space and hopefully contribute your tenner or so to the farmer direct/local community. This is based on my experience of walking the South West and now 3/4 todate of the Wales cost path…

CL/CS camping

We have just got back after a couple of weeks south of the border (ie in England!) where are I am rather more anxious about wildcamping. We slept in several car parks and picnic areas in Lancashire, Yorkshire, Co Durham and Northumberland. I have to admit the best nights we had were on farmers' fields with access to as much water as we wanted (Yay - long hot showers!!). One chap asked for £7 but the others were £5 per night. I think that is a good deal - you get peace and quiet, security (no car park doughnuts/doughheads) and lots of water and waste disposal. We paid more to sleep on a car park in Lythma St Annes (£7 per night) with no services - but we needed to be in that location. I must admit we relax as we cross the border back in Scotland where we have enjoyed many wonderful nights wild camping in amazing locations. Nairn Harbour has to be one of my top ones but New Aberdour Beach, Cullen, Banff, Latheronwheel are all wonderful too. Best view was the one at Scotts View near Melrose.

We have just got back after a couple of weeks south of the border (ie in England!) where are I am rather more anxious about wildcamping. We slept in several car parks and picnic areas in Lancashire, Yorkshire, Co Durham and Northumberland. I have to admit the best nights we had were on farmers' fields with access to as much water as we wanted (Yay - long hot showers!!). One chap asked for £7 but the others were £5 per night. I think that is a good deal - you get peace and quiet, security (no car park doughnuts/doughheads) and lots of water and waste disposal. We paid more to sleep on a car park in Lythma St Annes (£7 per night) with no services - but we needed to be in that location. I must admit we relax as we cross the border back in Scotland where we have enjoyed many wonderful nights wild camping in amazing locations. Nairn Harbour has to be one of my top ones but New Aberdour Beach, Cullen, Banff, Latheronwheel are all wonderful too. Best view was the one at Scotts View near Melrose.

Had my van for seven years but never been over the border to Englandshire.

Agreed - This pic taken a few days ago in the cairngorms (spot my camper!).
However, I am still troubled that I am a white blob in a beautiful landscape - seriously thinking of spraying it a more sympathetic colour...!

Don't be too hasty and waste money, at least you'll blend-in come winter, at least some of the time.
Ignore this advice if you're just a fair weather softy of course!

Had my van for seven years but never been over the border to Englandshire.

Must be that 'Wall', a psychological effect.
Hadrian was a Spaniard, he built that Wall to keep the Scots out of Spain, not out
of England, Spain was getting overcrowded with holidaymakers he had to
do something.

Got that from the Donald Trump version of history.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back