Mild Camping

mossypossy

Free Member
Whilst not averse to spending the odd night on a blowy Norwegian mountain with crazy whooshbang Germans for company, nor the occasional forray into the night time realm of car park doughnut boys, I feel most at ease paying a farmer £12 to use his comprehensive motorhome facilities in a peaceful and trouble free environment.
Cheers everybody.

Whilst not averse to spending the odd night on a blowy Norwegian mountain with crazy whooshbang Germans for company, nor the occasional forray into the night time realm of car park doughnut boys, I feel most at ease paying a farmer £12 to use his comprehensive motorhome facilities in a peaceful and trouble free environment.
Cheers everybody.

We occasionally splash out on one of our fave "under a tenner" spots...
£7 a night for a quiet field with water and dump point...
Cracking sunsets and a very gentle Derbyshire field ;-)

Car park doughnuts, sign me up with lots of sugar! Or maybe you meant something else entirely.

Surrounded by copses of oak trees, scampering squirrels, magpies, a passing fox or
two, farm fields and hawthorn hedges. Yep I'm at home free camping! No wonder I can't
be bothered these days getting away to a farmers field and paying £12 for the privilege.
Mind you I'd gladly pay £12 sometimes just to ban the odd ratrunning 44 tonner 50 meters
distant trundling down what only 20 years ago was a virtual country lane!

Love 5 pitch sites. Excellent halfway house ... awning,table and chairs and bbq too when weather good.

If it’s an area we like and plan on stopping for a few days we always head for €12 ACSI sites if available even when local wild camping spots are nearby. Maybe even €14 depending. €16 only if local motorhome aires are charging rip off prices which French coastal ones sometimes do. We like the option of spreading out with tables and chairs and the use of hook up for the espresso coffee maker and ebikes. And the additional security if we are away from the MH for long periods daily.

When touring a to b to c on a daily basis 100% wild camp if possible.

What we do notice is that when the motorhome villages set up in Spain in the winter months the owners for the most part seem to sit outside their motorhomes all day with their dogs. Whilst we understand the need to get away from the northern winter I do find the thought of sitting outside my motorhome for several months at a time keeping guard somewhat depressing!

In anticipation of all night partying at the New Forest Meet we are enjoying a couple of days on a cl with a shower, so I smell nice for all the nice people without having to refill the tank every two minutes. A bit of luxury can be nice sometimes.

Much prefer a night with the wooshbangs to a night in neat rows with with the flimsy white boxes.

Fate

Famous last words.
On a three capacity Danish site we were alone. Until midnight when a whooshbang turns up. With a dog!
That will teach me.
Still, we managed to not be too quiet this morning as they slept.:hammer:

Famous last words.
On a three capacity Danish site we were alone. Until midnight when a whooshbang turns up. With a dog!
That will teach me.
Still, we managed to not be too quiet this morning as they slept.:hammer:

Been there, done that.

02.30am a marauding gang of Froggies ( 5 of them ) turned up on the aire that we was alone on and made a hell of a racket as they parked up.

I returned the favour at 06.00am when we was up and about, started the engine, left it running and opening and closing doors as loud as i could.

They were not impressed and said something very rude to me through an open window.

Much prefer a night with the wooshbangs to a night in neat rows with with the flimsy white boxes.

I find I rarely have to share a field with more than one other unit on CL's and can usually pick my spot, but then everyone's experience is different. I think my motorhome could be described as a flimsy white box, but it's survived twenty four years so far, so perhaps they're not so flimsy.

Agree with you re the rows of white boxes , not really sure what a whooshbang is ?
When I first started was a little nervous about where I parked . Then discovered the freedom of wild (rural and urban) camping . Decided not to ever use campsites etc . Now , with more experience , I use campsites very occasionally . Never got round to joining any of the clubs .
That is what suits me , fortunately we are all different .

If it’s an area we like and plan on stopping for a few days we always head for €12 ACSI sites if available even when local wild camping spots are nearby. Maybe even €14 depending. €16 only if local motorhome aires are charging rip off prices which French coastal ones sometimes do. We like the option of spreading out with tables and chairs and the use of hook up for the espresso coffee maker and ebikes. And the additional security if we are away from the MH for long periods daily.

When touring a to b to c on a daily basis 100% wild camp if possible.

What we do notice is that when the motorhome villages set up in Spain in the winter months the owners for the most part seem to sit outside their motorhomes all day with their dogs. Whilst we understand the need to get away from the northern winter I do find the thought of sitting outside my motorhome for several months at a time keeping guard somewhat depressing!

I would call them Motorhome Ghettoes!

Not only do they sit outside all day, they also sit & watch the telly all evening.

No wonder most of them are fat!

Last edited:
Sometimes it is just nice to use a good camp site.
Somewhere, you can put out your chairs n table, do your washing, leave your van in a relatively secure location and travel out for the day.
We may spend about two nights out of a 14 day holiday on a site to do van ablutions.

Agree with you re the rows of white boxes , not really sure what a whooshbang is ?
When I first started was a little nervous about where I parked . Then discovered the freedom of wild (rural and urban) camping . Decided not to ever use campsites etc . Now , with more experience , I use campsites very occasionally . Never got round to joining any of the clubs .
That is what suits me , fortunately we are all different .

Park next to a van conversion with a sliding side door.....you'll soon discover what a "whooshbang" is!

Park next to a van conversion with a sliding side door.....you'll soon discover what a "whooshbang" is!

Aah . In that case I'm a Scottish whooshbang .
Always take the dog out last thing . Not climbing out a window for anyone .
If someone is parked close to me its their choice

We are in Italy at the moment and had a great laugh at your explanation. Here the Caravan Club rule of 8m between units has been lost in translation, for 8m read 8cm. The price for this comfort has translated inversely.

Tonight my stop is at a Camping and Caravanning Club meet. £7.50 a night. Only a dozen vans on a big field. Plenty of room and no markers to adhere to. Water available, toilet disposal. Waste wster round the field edge. A lot cheaper than a site.

Tonight my stop is at a Camping and Caravanning Club meet. £7.50 a night. Only a dozen vans on a big field. Plenty of room and no markers to adhere to. Water available, toilet disposal. Waste wster round the field edge. A lot cheaper than a site.

Same here, just 3 of us on a mahoosive field in North Yorkshire. It is costing us £8.50 for the one night we will be here, we are moving on to Ripon this afternoon and the dogs will have a whole Racecourse to play on.

With the demise of many of my longstanding wilding spots, the C&CC options are being used more and more. :sad:

Literary just joined the C&CC on Monday because we're holidaying in Norfolk, and the wild spots seem to be mainly Laybys.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back