Middle aisle at Lidl (tools etc).

I think they deliberately try to confuse as a marketing ploy. People simply don't read things correctly. I don't think it has dc current on the MM part through the leads either.

I don't know if that LIDL Clamp Meter will have the feature, but for example my own Clamp Meter has a switch which lets it be used as a AC Voltage Probe. That can be very useful as it lets you check if a cable is live or not (which is probably far more useful then knowing what current might be flowing through an AC cable).

If the LIDL meter can do that, then it becomes a Dual Purpose DMM + NCV Probe, and worth buying if you need a meter anyway.

Note the clamp meter only does AC current, not DC, so for motorhome use is not really any better than a standard Multimeter.

Just bought one got DC on the box

Greengrass -I suggest that you read the box again again.

AC Voltage or Current
DC Voltage only

In the MoHo context clamp meters are really useful for reading DC current. hence Wildebus comment.

I've previously looked into the possibility of a device to detect DC current in a cable, as I have an intermittent power issue on my electric bike and want to try to isolate where the problem is. I came to the conclusion that these things only work with AC - I'm sure Wildebus will be able to confirm the situation

I've previously looked into the possibility of a device to detect DC current in a cable, as I have an intermittent power issue on my electric bike and want to try to isolate where the problem is. I came to the conclusion that these things only work with AC - I'm sure Wildebus will be able to confirm the situation
? You can get DC Clamp Meters and they work just fine. I use mine to typically check battery charger operation. They work in the same was as the Hall Effect Sensors that some Battery Monitors use instead of an in-line Shunt.

However, what you DO need to do is only clamp around one wire - if you were to put the clamp over say a twin-core cable it wouldn't read the current as it is essentially seeing the flow in both directions and so the current reading is cancelled out.
This is also a reason why an AC Clamp Meter is actually not that useful .... how often do you see an AC connection - either Flex or Cable - that is not a combination of the Live and Neutral contained within an outer sheathing? You cannot read the current on an AC lead without separating the live and neutral so as to clamp just one. So that idle curiosity or troubleshooting suddenly becomes a lot more involved.

I've hadaclamp meter for years, bought one initially to read current in AC motors. Made up a short extension lead with a live loop hanging out so I could read current in things with flex and 3 pin plug.
DC version is good when fitting towbars....makes identifying wires under the van easy when u haven't got the colour codes

I don't know if that LIDL Clamp Meter will have the feature, but for example my own Clamp Meter has a switch which lets it be used as a AC Voltage Probe. That can be very useful as it lets you check if a cable is live or not (which is probably far more useful then knowing what current might be flowing through an AC cable).

If the LIDL meter can do that, then it becomes a Dual Purpose DMM + NCV Probe, and worth buying if you need a meter anyway.

I went to LIDL today (wanted to pick up the 1000V handtools) and had a look at the Clamp Meter. Couldn't see any mention or indication on the photo of any NCV probe function so would assume not available.
If that is the case, not a lot of value in this Clamp Meter over a regular DMM.

Julie just bought me this set of long bladed Hex Wrenches in Aldi. Quite reasonable at £5.99 I thought and ideal for working on the bike. In fact I could have done with them yesterday.

20240423_113301.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:203)

n brown, Trotter, kingfisher1, andyjanet, jacquigem, Scotia, wildebus, The laird, Wully, TeamRienza, mistericeman, CHAIRMAN, MrKenny, noah and nelly, saxonborg, smg, ewen, Pudsey Bear, ton27, Glandwr, pamjon, colinm, witzend, Budgie, barryd, oppy, jann, trevskoda, Mossystone, SimonM, mygrassisblue, Neckender, RSD7a, guerdeval, bartman, alwaysared, belbri, Boris7, stonedaddy, terrywolf, hmssnake, Twithooks, Fisherman, denmar, mikejay, exwindsurfer, rugbyken, Charlynch, jeanette, Greengrass, RichardHelen262, ricc, GMJ, AdriaTwin, gypo, Jo001, Chip, Nigel L, mark61, ajb70, number14, linkshouse, DTF, Livotlout, Makzine, runnach, UFO, pete1201, myvanwy, Heppy, Doigy, Bigshug, Val54, Tim120, Lee, trixie88, tobym, Ian and Cath, mariesnowgoose, Drover, Tezza33, Fazerloz, Rod, zzr1400tim, regnarts, st3v3, Alberto, Debroos, caledonia, vwalan, MartinFife, Robmac, Servo, Cass, alcam, s4x4c, JVG, 1 Cup, chrishunter, yorkslass, liz, 2cv, Sharon the Cat, britcoms, Tonybvi, harrow, Dezi, marsden, winks, Topmast, r4dent, Wandering scots, bobemmo29, korky, ozzy1955, kevlakes, groyne, Monkeybrand, izwozral, amcjam, Owen M, wilsal, Polar Bear, Canalsman, AllanD, molly 2, clarkpeacock, jimmybanks41, Harpurharri, Snuffkin, Dave11A, Andys, Mistaya, Rosehip, BOTCANU, neilmac, kensowerby, Bouydog, Gerti58, Winger, bdastu, Ted, Mr Pastry, Steve and Julie, brucews, neildent, Biggarmac, Okta, landie50, Nabsim, adriahome, alan1958, Herman, Mandoman, WillowWanderers, Gasdave, iandsm, Buzzard, Tartarus, peejay, undertaker, nitram, BarryNo1, Winterskp, Debs, CWH, dtdunn, Palette, EllieM, jpg, Peisinoe, Magsw, royh28, RogerO, gilsof31, Handel10, mick n jules, prioryi, Victor, jonc, paulhelenwilko, Moocher, Dads Train, rambrose, DAVEY, boggie, Lib, Sue Paskins, TonyEmm, terrytur, Goofer, sludgesurfer, motorwaycafe, Alun100, Texastom, Harrytherid, wrp, IanJ, bjh, cornish hymer, MrU, Florance, alca,
Back