Mazda bongo

Daughter had a Bongo, watch out for Jap imports as they don't underseal them properly, she also had problem with glow plugs which had to be replaced twice, not the cheapest fix. Check insurance too as if I remember right it was quite expensive, but she was youngish driver at the time.

Daughter had a Bongo, watch out for Jap imports as they don't underseal them properly, she also had problem with glow plugs which had to be replaced twice, not the cheapest fix. Check insurance too as if I remember right it was quite expensive, but she was youngish driver at the time.
I've had a couple of imports & they seem to be much dearer to insure due to the heavy loading of the policy. Don't know why as they are usually safer & better spec than the UK equivalent, if you can get someone to insure it at all as some companies will not touch any imports.....😕

Have this from a pal who’s had both.

4D624F8B-C2E4-42D2-AA14-86CBEA713D35.jpeg

Cheers

H

Friend of mine bought a bongo because he refused to pay for the badge regarding a VW. Bought an all singing and dancing Bongo and it wasn’t cheap. Started overheating within a month and cost him dear to have sorted. Then problem with immobiliser which again was dear as needed an ecu. He then sold it and bought a VW.

Definately recommend the Elgrand as a safer bet. Seats fold down into a bed & I believe curtains etc are available too. Quite a few around that look sensible money too now...

Well she eventually got there a Toyota alphard ( I hadn’t heard of one either) a largish mpv same size ish as a seat Alhambra ....certainly make a day van and occasional weekender , a company in Liverpool make units for them so we can invent a cooking station which looks swish .

The vehicle itself seems economical it is a 2.4 l hybrid which uses toyotas regenerative braking system it’s also All wheel drive ...even has a tv ! Not a clue how it works Japanese language I was missing that day at school

All in all a good template for a tasteful conversion , so here are some piccies

BD843EF8-C89A-43C6-9FC8-BA5B4D913E95.jpegA2B32F5A-B9DB-48DB-A1E1-8F3DB7B02F52.jpeg9CA918DF-D4A6-4327-917D-19552F6C1CD2.jpegE369CA20-8BA1-40D1-ACF8-1D9156878B2F.jpeg520CC4A5-BD9A-4F7D-B933-A7381763C3CE.jpeg38EB7561-ABAA-4C02-B740-EFBDDF7B2A76.jpeg

We bought a Toyota Emina 20 odd years ago when Jap imports were relatively rare, they were usually referred to as grey imports then.
I nearly wet myself laughing when Izzy rang the insurance company and said "I have got an Enema and was wondering if you would insure it?
The silence at the other end of the line spoke volumes!

Great mpv btw.

Check it has been under sealed if it’s a grey import as they don’t have rust issues over the water .lots who had bongos went onto them as they also got elgrands after the bongo factory burnt down .well house leisure do a lot of conversions

Be very aware of rust , a camper can be expensive for an old vehicle .that means people will spend a lot of money keeping them looking in pristine condition .modern car body repairers are very good at making a rust bucket look good .my head says romahome as their is far less to rust and a good reputation for longevity .

There is a company at Skelmanthorpe that makes these and bongos into campers it might be worth having a talk to them
I don’t know the company name there’s a small industrial estate just off station lane you can see them from station lane

Last edited:
Lots of room for a few sheep in the back there Andrew,anything like that would have been farmed here. 😂
Looks 100% health to wear.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back