Mazda bongo

runnach

A long story, I won’t bother with but Michelle finds herself needing a vehicle and has her heart set on a bongo,

She has seen one very clean, and wants me to have a look at it, I know they are notorious for head gasket problems so a good peer in the header tank , check the gearbox is smooth rear arches been replaced ,,,

I know a few of you have had them, is there anything else glaringly obvious to have a look at ?

It is a 2,4 td 4 wd,,,,

I have found a really clean Citroen Roma home with the 1769 cc lump I understand those , but she has her heart set on the bongo

Tia

As our first venture into motor homing we ran a Bongo converted to a camper for 15 months with no mechanical problems of any sort.
After a year of use we recognised that it was a bit small inside. We only changed it because we wanted more space.
Overall it was a great little vehicular that was absolutely brilliant down the small lanes of Cornwall and Wales.

Had a 2*5 tdi aft
hayden Williams low level alarm essential for coolant( head gasket) as you say tea stains in header tank.
if auto gears slipping?
rear wheel arches rot big time
drop links all round
cab and rear heater matrix units leak
if aft lifting roof motors fail or out of synchronised lifting
removeoil cap for obvious custard
if auto pipes under rad to cooler and or auto pipes rot
check for under seal from import (chassis corrosion)
check inj pump for leakage or erratically / lumpy idle
sheared ex manifold bolts
water pump leaks / t belt done?

now whilst all this said and done we had great fun in ours a few pics here

61258BD8-F417-4F1E-827F-E678BA6529A6.jpeg
DDCCFDD9-F8D5-4991-B27D-5E52FBB3148E.jpeg
06FBBA4A-1F95-4290-8D29-172DADDB4398.jpeg

Had a 2001 turbo V6 petrol as our first camper ... loved it. 2 years never any issues, although we only used it once a month for weekend trips and holidays about 3x p.a.

Do remember the converter telling us to have a coolant switch (?) put on.

Upsized fed up with moving luggage around to drive, go to bed etc. No shower or potty.

Had a 2001 turbo V6 petrol as our first camper ... loved it. 2 years never any issues, although we only used it once a month for weekend trips and holidays about 3x p.a.

Do remember the converter telling us to have a coolant switch (?) put on.

Upsized fed up with moving luggage around to drive, go to bed etc. No shower or potty.
Was that the Hayden low level warning alarm or a electric fan switch

The one she’s seen and likes is a proper conversion and doesn’t have the low level warning alarm are they easy to fit ? Kings ransom ?

The one she’s seen and likes is a proper conversion and doesn’t have the low level warning alarm are they easy to fit ? Kings ransom ?
Fairly easy to install go onto bongo fury web site or Hayden Williams web he retired but his daughter kept it going I believe
Not too dear in cost esp as it can save an engine cause once head gasket goes on them derv bin the head

Cheers. See me digging out my spanner’s here, I am getting excited for her,

V6 bongo is a great smooth engine there two ex bongo members on the forums ( papa bongo) and ( the wilsons) both very knowledgeable regarding the vans also

The main thing that has always put me off them is the horrendous MPG figures, but I have at least 3 friends (members on here) who have them and are happy. In fact one of them is on her second.

A long story, I won’t bother with but Michelle finds herself needing a vehicle and has her heart set on a bongo,

She has seen one very clean, and wants me to have a look at it, I know they are notorious for head gasket problems so a good peer in the header tank , check the gearbox is smooth rear arches been replaced ,,,

I know a few of you have had them, is there anything else glaringly obvious to have a look at ?

It is a 2,4 td 4 wd,,,,

I have found a really clean Citroen Roma home with the 1769 cc lump I understand those , but she has her heart set on the bongo

Tia

I think VWALAN had one and I would give him a PM, you know his background ? :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back