Markerstudy

Canalsman

My 'van's insurance through AIB is due for renewal soon. Markerstudy have withdrawn from the motorhome/camper market apparently.

This is bad news because the other insurers' premiums are significantly higher.

As an aside it has occurred to me that it is a good idea to have recent photographs of your 'van, both outside and inside, to prove condition in the event of catastrophic damage to the vehicle.

Best done when it's clean and tidy for obvious reasons.

In addition a comprehensive record of all servicing and repairs will be valuable in the event of a claim.

My 'van's insurance through AIB is due for renewal soon. Markerstudy have withdrawn from the motorhome/camper market apparently.
Interesting. Markerstudy was often the only underwriter available for loads of brokers.

As an aside it has occurred to me that it is a good idea to have recent photographs of your 'van, both outside and inside, to prove condition in the event of catastrophic damage to the vehicle.

In addition a comprehensive record of all servicing and repairs will be valuable in the event of a claim.
found this quite a while back when claiming on a write-off Peugeot 306 insured with the Co-Op. Claim occured shortly after some repairs carried out. Had some brake components replaced following an MOT and they were part of an advisory rather than a failure. Assessor agreed that the repair was not absolutely needed, so having them done enhanced the vehicle value and increased the write-off value by the repair cost, which was a nice surprise :)

Last edited:

I to am insured with AIB but my policy is underwritten by Aviva.

I to am insured with AIB but my policy is underwritten by Aviva.
As a broker, of course, they can offer from a panel of insurers.

The proposed replacement for my cover is with Axa.

My options for cover are limited to an extent by the fact that my motorhome is parked on the road.

As a broker, of course, they can offer from a panel of insurers.

The proposed replacement for my cover is with Axa.

My options for cover are limited to an extent by the fact that my motorhome is parked on the road.
Mine is parked on my driveway, I hope you get things sorted.

We go with Safeguard motorhome insurance because they include AA European breakdown recovery in their cover and this year renewal was £40 less than last year. AA European cover on its own for a motorhome is over £200 but as a standalone cover the AA will not cover motorhomes over 3.5T. Safeguard have an inclusive arrangement with the AA that covers motorhomes up to 5T. On this basis Safeguard for us is competitive.

Something to bear in mind when comparing Safeguard quotes with others and if you do have a Safeguard motorhome policy and at the same time separate breakdown cover you are wasting money.

Just renewed CV insurance with AIB with the policy underwritten by KGM, a £20 increase on last year. £27 cheaper than Safeguard.

I have a spreadsheet with every maintenance/update/extra purchased recorded; date, cost, description and odometer reading; and a similar record on my phone uisng Google Notes, with an additional refinement of breaking the data down by year of purchase [the start date being the date of M/Home purchase], so that I know what was bought/installed/replaced and when. I have the original invoices/warranties stored separately to pass on to any subsequent owner

I also have photos of the M/Home exterior and interior for each year of ownership to provide supporting evidence

And last week I bought a replacement Winter Down filled long anorak, replete with hood and fur trim to catch the dandruff ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

I have a spreadsheet with every maintenance/update/extra purchased recorded; date, cost, description and odometer reading; and a similar record on my phone uisng Google Notes, with an additional refinement of breaking the data down by year of purchase [the start date being the date of M/Home purchase], so that I know what was bought/installed/replaced and when. I have the original invoices/warranties stored separately to pass on to any subsequent owner

I also have photos of the M/Home exterior and interior for each year of ownership to provide supporting evidence

And last week I bought a replacement Winter Down filled long anorak, replete with hood and fur trim to catch the dandruff ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve
I hope you weigh the dandruff each week to see what value you are getting out of your head and shoulders shampoo?

Got my car cover with aib today, last year just over £200 + £90 odd for brakedown, this year £345 no breakdown cover, im still cleaning my undies out.

I hope you weigh the dandruff each week to see what value you are getting out of your head and shoulders shampoo?
'Shampoo?'
'I didn't know you had Shampoo?'
'I don't, I have dandruff' [as the first draft of the advert script went ...] :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Just cancelled my insurance through "Staveley Head" They charged me £161.21 cancelation fee. I had been with them for 20 days!
I renewed with Adrian Flux over the phone. paid the £340 fully comp cover. got the documentation later that stated in the small print that my motorhome would not be covered for theft unless I had a third party 24/7 monitored tracker installed. I would suggest a check on your policy and schedule to ensure that you don't fall into the same trap and are blissfully unaware that if your pride and joy gets stolen they won't pay out.

Just cancelled my insurance through "Staveley Head" They charged me £161.21 cancelation fee. I had been with them for 20 days!
I renewed with Adrian Flux over the phone. paid the £340 fully comp cover. got the documentation later that stated in the small print that my motorhome would not be covered for theft unless I had a third party 24/7 monitored tracker installed. I would suggest a check on your policy and schedule to ensure that you don't fall into the same trap and are blissfully unaware that if your pride and joy gets stolen they won't pay out.
I would suggest that unless this was advised by the broker explicitly as a condition of cover you have every right to cancel without financial penalty.

If I am reading your post correctly if your vehicle had been stolen before you read the small print you would not have been able to claim.

I recommend strongly that you contest this.

Usually when getting quotes for my van/car/motorcycle I am asked "Do you have an immobiliser, tracker, alarm or any other security devices".

Having declared then exactly what the vehicle has I would have thought that the small print should account for what you have declared? My main policy schedule states in fact exactly what security devices I have in place.

... stated in the small print that my motorhome would not be covered for theft unless I had a third party 24/7 monitored tracker installed.
I would have a tracker installed in any case. I'm not sure what "third party monitored" means.

If it helps, I know where you can have a tracker that reports its position to a tracking server twice a minute for about £30 setup and £25 per year running costs.

However, at that price you don't get a brand name or anyone actually looking at it, but the system can automatically alert you if the tracker leaves a geofenced area you define.

I would have a tracker installed in any case. I'm not sure what "third party monitored" means.

If it helps, I know where you can have a tracker that reports its position to a tracking server twice a minute for about £30 setup and £25 per year running costs.

However, at that price you don't get a brand name or anyone actually looking at it, but the system can automatically alert you if the tracker leaves a geofenced area you define.
That wouldn’t comply with the 3rd party monitored part though so only for own interest in this case not insurance purposes 👍

Can I ask why you Cancelled with Staveley Head, I've been with them for a few years and always found them to be very competitive.

Usually when getting quotes for my van/car/motorcycle I am asked "Do you have an immobiliser, tracker, alarm or any other security devices".

Having declared then exactly what the vehicle has I would have thought that the small print should account for what you have declared? My main policy schedule states in fact exactly what security devices I have in place.
We have a Thatcham cat2 alarm, but did'nt tell LV until renewal last year after they jacked up the premium. When i did they said i'd modified the vehicle and then increased the premium again!! Any excuse it seems. Anyway, after a written complain they withdrew the "modified vehicle" extra charge but gave no money off for the alarm. I feel unhapppy about that because i think some give a better price if an alarm is fitted.
That wouldn’t comply with the 3rd party monitored part though so only for own interest in this case not insurance purposes 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back