Lytham ban

Are you not giving ammo for bans by sending photos?
You obviously don’t know Robbie Blythe, I do.
Robbie will work on our behalf as he has done in car parks throughout Fife.
Also from what I am seeing here, a ban is only a few months away.
This kind of behaviour is bound to lead to signage, barriers , or both anyway.
At least if WE show concern it looks better, than locals doing so, and that’s surely going to happen anyway.

You obviously don’t know Robbie Blythe, I do.
Robbie will work on our behalf as he has done in car parks throughout Fife.
Also from what I am seeing here, a ban is only a few months away.
This kind of behaviour is bound to lead to signage, barriers , or both anyway.
At least if WE show concern it looks better, than locals doing so, and that’s surely going to happen anyway.
Ok I have composed an email to send to Robbie Blythe chief executive Fife Coast and Countryside Trust. But I have saved it to gauge reaction to my sending it on here. But by my way of thinking we have been served a fait accompli here. If we do nothing I reckon we will lose this excellent car park, If we show our concerns, and try to get Robbie involved then we just may avoid being banned. I understand this is unconventional, but I honestly think this is the correct thing to do. But if others don’t please let me know, and if many don’t agree I won’t send the email.

Ok I have composed an email to send to Robbie Blythe chief executive Fife Coast and Countryside Trust. But I have saved it to gauge reaction to my sending it on here. But by my way of thinking we have been served a fait accompli here. If we do nothing I reckon we will lose this excellent car park, If we show our concerns, and try to get Robbie involved then we just may avoid being banned. I understand this is unconventional, but I honestly think this is the correct thing to do. But if others don’t please let me know, and if many don’t agree I won’t send the email.
Agree that we need to let Robbie Blyth know that we are concerned with this behaviour. He is well aware of the problems that are caused by a minority of vans. He works hard to make provision for motorhomes in Fife. Would that we had more people like him making decisions.

It’s not looking good Steve, but I counted 22 motorhomes in Elie Ruby Bay in 2022.
It got so bad we left and headed to Craigmead and spent a nice night on our own. I think they should charge £10 a night, and limit motorhomes to 7 units with designated bays. I will send your photos to Robbie Blythe underlining our concerns. But I don’t know if he has any jurisdiction on this car park. But I think us showing concern, is better, than the locals doing so, and it’s only time before they do.
Thanks, Bill. There were some anti-M/Home comments made to people I know from my earlier Membership of another Forum in Summer 2021; so, there is precedent for complaints

Steve

Also local Councillor Julie McDougall who has an interest in this. Particularly in Burntisland, I think dedicated bays with a reasonable overnight fee would help to both control and legitimise overnighting.

Also local Councillor Julie McDougall who has an interest in this. Particularly in Burntisland, I think dedicated bays with a reasonable overnight fee would help to both control and legitimise overnighting.
Robbie will know who to contact.
But why not contact her yourself.

Last edited:
Excellent. I hope she realises that we share the same concerns, albeit to some extent for different reasons.

I will contact Robbie Blythe tomorrow.
A common purpose, though. And an outcome where Cars can park safely, M/Homers can stay for a sensible fee [and which can include cassette emptying facilities], pedestrian access is respected, and all 3 categories can contribute to the local economy [which needs all the help it can get] can only be a success

Steve

Returned around 1pm from today's wander along the prom in Burntisland. About 7 M/homes parked [and front row almost full with cars. Looks much less crowded and easier to manoeuvre for vehicles and pedestrians

Steve
Honestly Steve I have parked up there twice, and have twice walked to it from Aberdour, and there were only two or three vans there, and hardly any cars.
I was shocked at your photo, and just think this is October, what will it be like in June.

Excellent. I hope she realises that we share the same concerns, albeit to some extent for different reasons.

I will contact Robbie Blythe tomorrow.
To be fair, we chatted about the benefits motorhomers bring to the area (data sourced from CAMPRA) rather than the problem users. But she has asked to meet for a coffee when we get back so I'll tell her about it then.

Honestly Steve I have parked up there twice, and have twice walked to it from Aberdour, and there were only two or three vans there, and hardly any cars.
I was shocked at your photo, and just think this is October, what will it be like in June.
In a phrase, Bill, 'Bloody Mobbed/Heaving'. Perhaps a reaction to the [reasonable] £10 charge for the overnight stops with the new facilities; and/or the bite of the Cost of Living crisis, especially for those on Fixed and/or limted pension income; perhaps just thoughtless 'grab a freebie, sod everybody else' with the Table & Chairs on the grass verge between the Car Park and the promenade

Steve

Table & Chairs on the grass verge between the Car Park and the promenade
I know, but the car users can do it, so ...

A possible solution, I think, would be to dedicate motorhome parking at the little car park next to the roundabout.

We stay on Lytham around 9 - 10 times a year for one and sometimes 2 nights at weekends. We chat to the locals who are always helpful and polite. To the extent that if we see them in a cafe or restaurant they acknowledge us.
However their main complaint is about, what they assume to be 'travellers' who seem to move in for weeks at a time.
There are certain places where we won't stop, actually in St. Annes, because some motorhomers set up camp for long weekends. Normally taking up two motorhome marked bays with an awning and all the parafanalia that accompanies it. Its not locals who get fed up here it other motorhomers and campervaners.

Have been going LSA since the initial trial at the cinema carpark but noticed it was getting abused chairs and awnings out. So very rarely go now and if we do we stop at the far aire closest to blackpool. Was there last weekend and noticed lots of vans parked up on these roads marked on the maps. Also noticed lots of vans including converted lorry horse box parked up after 6 pm and disappear at 6.30am most likely never paid and I was not the only motorhomer to notice this Spanish visitors mentioned it.

I have just sent this email to Robbie Blythe with attached photo of the car park taken on Saturday and posted on here,

Hi Robbie,

I hope you are well.

Sorry to bother you Robbie, but some of us have concerns about what’s going on at the carpark behind the swimming pool in Burntisland. I have attached a photo taken on Saturday 14 October, posted on the forum. Some of us feel that something along the lines of what you have done in other carparks is required here. But I don’t think this carpark falls within your jurisdiction. If not could you pass on our concerns, and possibly advise them as to what can be done along the same lines as other car parks in Fife.

I and others think it’s important to highlight such issues. This way those concerned with running this car park are made aware that we are not all the same, and that we share the same concerns.

Hopefully we won’t lose what is an excellent carpark, well situated for access to the town. I just reckon it’s only time before a few locals quite rightly complain, and I think it’s important to show that some of us share their concerns. Motorhome owners including myself have added to the local economy in the past, and I would be saddened if we were unable to do so in the future.

take care Robbie

Regards

Bill.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back