LPG Gaslow, tank kits and other alternatives ooop North

barryd

Been talking to Autogas 2000 in Thirsk. They seem to be the go to place for getting refillables. They certainly have gone up in price since we got our first 11kg Gaslow fitted 16 years ago. Im not sure if ill get an 11kg gaslow bottle in the new van. I might but I wont know until I get it. Might have to be a fitted tank in the locker, 2 x 6kg Gaslow bottles or 1 x 6kg and 1 x Calor back up. I do want a calor backup

So apart from Gaslow what else are people using and who is fitting them North East or North Yorkshire?

Did you speak to Charlie or Karen Barry? they were giving a discount to WC'ers. Also, Charlie now owns Gas-It as well, does quite a few different manufacturers of tanks

Did you speak to Charlie or Karen Barry? they were giving a discount to WC'ers. Also, Charlie now owns Gas-It as well, does quite a few different manufacturers of tanks

No it was email to Stephen Clark I think. Thanks for the heads up on the discount though. Ill probably use them. They look like they know what they are doing. Four week lead time though. Just wasnt up to speed on the different options.

They were at a show over the weekend but will be back at base now, best speaking to Charlie he doesn't do emails and computers lol

...or people Neil. Charlie hates everyone!

Must ring him about a gas check.

I wonder if he was the bloke I spoke to there the other day when we called in for LPG. Liked the F word a lot and told me all new vans are fookin Shite and to stick with my ancient Kontiki. Clearly I took no notice. :D I must admit. I am an email kind of bloke. Its been extremely useful in this latest quest as I dragged out all the stuff from two years ago from various suppliers when its all resurrected itself again.

I wonder if he was the bloke I spoke to there the other day when we called in for LPG. Liked the F word a lot and told me all new vans are fookin Shite and to stick with my ancient Kontiki. Clearly I took no notice. :D I must admit. I am an email kind of bloke. Its been extremely useful in this latest quest as I dragged out all the stuff from two years ago from various suppliers when its all resurrected itself again.

That's definitely Charlie!

He hates Swift Motorhomes but he keeps buying them but like I say he hates everything and everyone so he doesn't discriminate.

He's a good bloke really though, got pissed with him many times.

That's definitely Charlie!

He hates Swift Motorhomes but he keeps buying them but like I say he hates everything and everyone so he doesn't discriminate.

He's a good bloke really though, got pissed with him many times.

They all come across as a bit grumpy to me. When we headed out a few weeks ago I had no idea what was in the tank. It only took five litres for which they charged me a tenner. His comments (whichever one he was) was "Well thats rubbish!" :D

I made sure it was empty when I took it back the other day.

They all come across as a bit grumpy to me. When we headed out a few weeks ago I had no idea what was in the tank. It only took five litres for which they charged me a tenner. His comments (whichever one he was) was "Well thats rubbish!" :D

I made sure it was empty when I took it back the other day.

Charlie usually makes Victor Meldrew seem like Ronald MacDonald.

You don't want to meet him on a bad day!

yes i don’t know anyone charlie hasn’t fallen out with but it’s a defence mechanism underneath he really is grumpy didn’t get the name chainsaw charlie lightly, i get on with him fine and he will sort out your gas problems! regarding gas price our local station has done the same as charlie £1:20 a litre min sale £10 our man says by the time he’s stopped someone working to go & fill a van take the money & get back to work it’s guarter of an hour lost

It's 2024, keep up men.
Just had two long post on lithium and now you're taking about LPG.
Lithium and diesel, it's the way forward for all your MH needs.

I still got LPG by the way, just looking for volunteers to test the future. 😜😆

yes i don’t know anyone charlie hasn’t fallen out with but it’s a defence mechanism underneath he really is grumpy didn’t get the name chainsaw charlie lightly, i get on with him fine and he will sort out your gas problems! regarding gas price our local station has done the same as charlie £1:20 a litre min sale £10 our man says by the time he’s stopped someone working to go & fill a van take the money & get back to work it’s guarter of an hour lost

LOL! I have a bit of reputation for being rude to my clients (despite being officially retired). The Basil Fawlty of IT they called me. I think they enjoy it so I oblige. I wasn't bothered about the surcharge just annoyed that we couldnt remember what we had used. We had been on hookup for ages at the back end of last year when we last used it. Normally off grid in spring summer and early autumn I can usually tell you within a litre how much we have used.

LOL! I have a bit of reputation for being rude to my clients (despite being officially retired). The Basil Fawlty of IT they called me. I think they enjoy it so I oblige. I wasn't bothered about the surcharge just annoyed that we couldnt remember what we had used. We had been on hookup for ages at the back end of last year when we last used it. Normally off grid in spring summer and early autumn I can usually tell you within a litre how much we have used.

I have a gauge on the dashboard Barry which tells me how much I have left in my 21 litre underslung tank. I was down to one click of ten when I went for a fill up locally, same thing - it took just about 5 litres.

I have a gauge on the dashboard Barry which tells me how much I have left in my 21 litre underslung tank. I was down to one click of ten when I went for a fill up locally, same thing - it took just about 5 litres.

I don't think any of these gauges have ever worked. I smashed mine years ago (not on purpose). Over 16 years of usage though I can just tell how much we have used unless we end up on hookup for weeks obviously. Its a pity the lockers are so small on this van though. Bit of an oversight on what is essentially nearly an eight meter six berth. I don't think Swift build vans for off gridders though.

This is the gas locker. This is from another van we looked at two years ago though. The one we are hoping to buy has 2 x 6kg calors in it. Despite it looking small in the pic there was wriggle room on the Calors though so you never know. 11kg might go in.

That sounds like it could have been John speaking, John is Yorkshire and Charlie is a Southern Softy so accent gives it away.

Don't understand all this slander, Charlie has never fell out with me lol, maybe cos we share the same sentiments haha

@mark61 The way I use the van I would be always running my generator for at least 5 months of the year if I tried to rely on electric lol
Seen a few of the all electric guys in Winter struggling to do anything, not saying it cant be done but depends how you use the van, how long in and and where you use it. If I was all electric I would definitely be buying one of those EV charging leases :)

That sounds like it could have been John speaking, John is Yorkshire and Charlie is a Southern Softy so accent gives it away.

Don't understand all this slander, Charlie has never fell out with me lol, maybe cos we share the same sentiments haha

@mark61 The way I use the van I would be always running my generator for at least 5 months of the year if I tried to rely on electric lol
Seen a few of the all electric guys in Winter struggling to do anything, not saying it cant be done but depends how you use the van, how long in and and where you use it. If I was all electric I would definitely be buying one of those EV charging leases :)
I was being a little tongue in cheek, although in my defence I did include diesel. :)

I know Mark lol

That Mel on Youtube has bought a diesel cooktop I think its for the Vario he is doing. The video he did testing it I couldn't believe how loud it was, never heard noise mentioned as being an issue but I wouldn't have coped with it and I don't worry too much about noise. Mel didn't mention noise though so it may just be the mic making it sound like that. Someone on here has one and they never mentioned noise so don't know. Previously it was just cost that would stop me but... :)

Is Gaslow still the best option then over the others? I had a search around and there is Alugas, RV, Safefill and Gaslow. Looks like Autogas 2000 do them all. There dont seem to be any other fitters around here apart from a few caravan and motorhome dealers. Not sure what the RV bottles are but they are a lot cheaper. Gaslow has served us well though so ill probably go with that. Just wondered if there were any advantage or disadvantages over the others.

The other thing I wondered if we cant fit an 11kg in that locker and end up having two 6kg Gaslows is if the 6kg Calor backup could be stored elsewhere in the van and connected but I guess thats a health and safety nightmare. Presume it has to be outside of the van or in a locker. I could carry one I suppose in the garage.

Is Gaslow still the best option then over the others? I had a search around and there is Alugas, RV, Safefill and Gaslow. Looks like Autogas 2000 do them all. There dont seem to be any other fitters around here apart from a few caravan and motorhome dealers. Not sure what the RV bottles are but they are a lot cheaper. Gaslow has served us well though so ill probably go with that. Just wondered if there were any advantage or disadvantages over the others.

The other thing I wondered if we cant fit an 11kg in that locker and end up having two 6kg Gaslows is if the 6kg Calor backup could be stored elsewhere in the van and connected but I guess thats a health and safety nightmare. Presume it has to be outside of the van or in a locker. I could carry one I suppose in the garage.
I think Thirsk is close enough to you for a run over isn't it? Go and have a word with Charlie, he will show you all the different bottles, think he stocks most you can get. You sure you don't know him, was on here for years, last name was Chainsaw Charlie but he had different ones before that?
Worse case you can have a chat and see what options you have, if its a mode they have done before they will know dimensions available (or usually do).

I think Thirsk is close enough to you for a run over isn't it? Go and have a word with Charlie, he will show you all the different bottles, think he stocks most you can get. You sure you don't know him, was on here for years, last name was Chainsaw Charlie but he had different ones before that?
Worse case you can have a chat and see what options you have, if its a mode they have done before they will know dimensions available (or usually do).

I think thats what ill do. Ill just run the van up there. Its not far up the road. First job on this van if I get it is getting the Cambelt done though before anything.

Back