Lowering a Camper

Thanks for all the replies, the standard Van goes in my garage no problem, but with a pop top on, am literally a few mm’s short, so just thought about lowering the Van say 20 mm, will give me the clearance I need.
yes, wheels/ ride height etc, very personal thing, but just love these wheels👍

View attachment 88205
Your not from Yorkshire then! The white rose brigade would rather deflate their tyres everytime they wanted to get in the garage rather than spend some quids!

Getting into your garage sounds like a very good reason to lower, your new beauty is gonna be very attractive to your local undesirables and all van's like to be pampered.

Post some piccys and best wishes for your maiden voyage (y)
Thanks, yes, main reason is to get it off driveway and hidden away from eyes, as there have been a couple of vehicles Taken in the night locally of late, so Just puts you on edge a little!
pick it up in a couple of weeks, but here’s a couple taken from the forecourt👍
E0BC0BEC-5081-40A6-95DB-DAE6DB977847.png
ABB35786-88EA-4963-90AD-038732355B61.png
50999779-0FD0-463B-8712-235A0076D5BA.png

Your not from Yorkshire then! The white rose brigade would rather deflate their tyres everytime they wanted to get in the garage rather than spend some quids!
Funny you should say that. It was the first words that SWMBO said, carn’t you lower the tyre pressures a little🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 and she’s not even from yorkshire😊

Thanks for all the replies, the standard Van goes in my garage no problem, but with a pop top on, am literally a few mm’s short, so just thought about lowering the Van say 20 mm, will give me the clearance I need.

1603128453818.png
Hmmm. Who would put wheels like that on a Camper? :unsure:

Then again ;) ....

Wheels
by David, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks, yes, main reason is to get it off driveway and hidden away from eyes, as there have been a couple of vehicles Taken in the night locally of late, so Just puts you on edge a little!
pick it up in a couple of weeks, but here’s a couple taken from the forecourt👍
View attachment 88214View attachment 88213View attachment 88215
Beautiful van, not to my particular taste but never the less I can appreciate it. As you are on this forum I suspect you plan to wildcamp so with regards to pot holed rural carparks and the state of passing places on single tracks I would be reserved with your lowering however I agree you will sleep better with that in the garage at night

Some Transporter Slammers go air so they can have the sills resting on the ground and then raise it to drive ...

Probably should have said, we are intending to use it as a day van. We are getting rid of daily drives and replacing with the VW. In the current enviroment, it will be so nice to have all the facilities on board without having to use public facilities. So although 90% of the time it won’t see a field etc, there will be the odd occasion that we will camp in it. We have an Auto-Trail V-Line for our Main camping outings👍

Could always raise the garage doorway or lower the floor...only have to dig out where the wheels run

Hi Nigel. Thats a lot of dosh and wear and tear for a daily driver. Looking good though. Our T32 with the Reimo pop top measures 2020mm high on its original wheels. Most barriers are 2100 high. Nice and tight. Squeaky bum time. Parked once in the new multi story at Alicante airport and hoped the sparkies had fitted all the cable tray at the correct height. (y)

Hi Nigel. Thats a lot of dosh and wear and tear for a daily driver. Looking good though. Our T32 with the Reimo pop top measures 2020mm high on its original wheels. Most barriers are 2100 high. Nice and tight. Squeaky bum time. Parked once in the new multi story at Alicante airport and hoped the sparkies had fitted all the cable tray at the correct height. (y)
Yes, a bit extravagant, but is replacing our daily drives, and plan to run it for many years👍
Am I right in saying that the overall circumference of the wheel/tyre should be the same whether they are 20inch or 16 inch wheels? So technically shouldn’t affect the overall height of the vehicle.

Yes, a bit extravagant, but is replacing our daily drives, and plan to run it for many years👍
Am I right in saying that the overall circumference of the wheel/tyre should be the same whether they are 20inch or 16 inch wheels? So technically shouldn’t affect the overall height of the vehicle.

Don't know about should be.
It certainly can be though, best to work it out.

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator

Hi all, am due to pick up a VW Camper in a couple of weeks time, so the excitement is building👍👍
Now, am thinking of lowering it a little, as it is literally as it left the factory.
Not being mechanically minded, am wondering what is involved, is it an easy job to do, or does it involve getting new shocks fitted etc.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
thanks
I have a T4 which was lowered when I got it. It was scrubbing rear tyres off in 4000 miles and front tyres in 5,500 miles . Lowering it alters the tracking geometry .
Check you have enough adjustment on your T6 suspension before lowering.
T4s don't have any adjustment on the rear wheels so I raised my T4 back to std factory height.

Not sure about more modern T6's but on a T4's it is a simple matter of changing the springs on the rear and just winding the torsion bars down on the front with a spanner, job done.

Last edited:

View attachment 88205

Can you raise the garage door or lower the floor for the access required? Done it in the past depending on construction of garage. We had a stock Transporter work van and it fitted in our garage. They are designed to do this. But we had a removable roof rack they was only used occasionally. I fitted a buzzer to the van cab so that when you opened the cab door to open the garage door, you got a reminder not to drive in the garage with the rack still on😳 Let’s just say it wasn’t fail safe and leave it that. 😳. No...it wasn’t me. 😇

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back