Lowering a Camper

Nigel L

Hi all, am due to pick up a VW Camper in a couple of weeks time, so the excitement is building👍👍
Now, am thinking of lowering it a little, as it is literally as it left the factory.
Not being mechanically minded, am wondering what is involved, is it an easy job to do, or does it involve getting new shocks fitted etc.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
thanks

I suspect you will be better off on a VW site. Most MoHo ers tend to want more ground clearance not less. Loads of vids on you tube.

Hi all, am due to pick up a VW Camper in a couple of weeks time, so the excitement is building👍👍
Now, am thinking of lowering it a little, as it is literally as it left the factory.
Not being mechanically minded, am wondering what is involved, is it an easy job to do, or does it involve getting new shocks fitted etc.
thanks
What "VW Camper" is it? T4, T5, T6, Crafter, etc?
Splitie, Bay Window or T25/T3 - dunno, but certainly doable.
If it is a T4, then you just get different "lowering" springs at the back, adjust the Torsion Bar at the front, and adjust the brake load balance in the middle.
On the majority of T5 and T6 models, then it is pretty well just a matter of spring changes, but if you have a T32 (3200Kg) T5/T6 Van, it gets a bit more complicated and options are less as the rear suspension is different on that model.
Crafter? no idea. Never heard of anyone lowering a Crafter

Changing Springs and Shocks on a T4 and T5 is very easy. You just jack up the van, remove the wheel and the arm (or whatever it is called) drops down enough for you to just swap it out.
I went the other way and removed the lowering springs and put back proper ones! (and new shocks)
image.jpg6_3 by David, on Flickr
Standard springs you may need to compress them a bit (I use straps as that does a good enough job). Lowering Springs are shorter and will just drop into place. Then lower the jack a bit to get everything positioned and that's that bit done.
Torsion Bar at the front can be more awkward as they don't tend to get serviced properly and seize up. Brake Load balance I would suggest get a garage to do as they can test on their MOT brake machine afterwards to make sure it is right.

If you got a garage to do all the work, I wouldn't expect to pay a massive amount - assuming there are no complications, whole job should be well under 2 hours.
(Once you are a VW Transporter owner, you will get used to the need to change springs on a regular basis anyway, so might be worth having a go yourself?)
Check out the VW T4/T5 Forum for lots of posts on the subject - https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
it is a T6.1
never had a Transporter before, so start of a learning curve👍

thanks
Load it with a full tank of fuel/water, food/beer and all your other camping stuff and get a couple of people sat in it ...........and then make a decision on whether to lower or not (y)

I personally don't like the slammed look but plenty do and their choice (y)

What many people do with the VW Transporter is fit a pop-top, which usually increases the height by around 40mm or so, and then lower the van by 40mm so they end up with a van the same height and which just clears the height in the typical multi-storey car park :)

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
it is a T6.1
never had a Transporter before, so start of a learning curve👍
Whilst insanely priced for what you get, they are nice vans and incredibly well supported in terms of parts and accessories.
I've had a T4 and a T5 (and currently own a VW LT), and have worked on loads of T4s, T5s & T6s :)

Probably better looking at hydraulic/air suspension that you can adjust wont be cheap but it would probably work to your advantage

Lowering with 20inch wheels and runbber band tyres is so yesterday. The slammed look has been replaced by the swamper look with lift kits and chunky off road tyres.
75476E55-D12F-4A59-9737-D654780BF946.png

Whatever you decide to do....
Make sure you inform your insurance company BEFORE you alter it from factory...
Not all companies will deal with modded vans (at least some will require an arm/leg/kidney for the privilege)

Thanks for all the replies, the standard Van goes in my garage no problem, but with a pop top on, am literally a few mm’s short, so just thought about lowering the Van say 20 mm, will give me the clearance I need.
yes, wheels/ ride height etc, very personal thing, but just love these wheels👍

4F6A3487-031C-430F-9BF7-B59A54694655.png

Thanks for all the replies, the standard Van goes in my garage no problem, but with a pop top on, am literally a few mm’s short, so just thought about lowering the Van say 20 mm, will give me the clearance I need.
yes, wheels/ ride height etc, very personal thing, but just love these wheels👍

View attachment 88205
Nice van lovely wheels not sure on low profile tyres though but that is me

Getting into your garage sounds like a very good reason to lower, your new beauty is gonna be very attractive to your local undesirables and all van's like to be pampered.

Post some piccys and best wishes for your maiden voyage (y)

Try Vanstyle they have a range of kits to suit your needs and are a good company to deal with. Just try not to get carried away adding to your basket👍👌
4D087682-9FB6-4BDB-9373-E6A021CDCFCC.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back