Looks like I'm rejoining the tugger brigade.

It’s a pity small caravans don’t have Alde heating as an option but I guess that it would be a high percentage of their price if it was offered and add to the weight. Why not visit the Caravan and Motorhome show at the NEC this week and look at the options?

Last edited:
Close friends of ours recently sold their Eriba, it was beautifully built but I for one couldn't live with a shower/loo as small and so very lacking in privacy and their's was one of the longer version with seating at both ends!
Another close friend has recently bought one of the quirky Swift Basecamp vans and we are exceptionally impressed with that, so much space in such a short van and surely well worth a look at as they are so very easy to tow?
Agree regarding the shower/loo cubicle, way to small. Another problem I encountered was clattering my head when exiting the raised roof section when in the Eriba.
The smallest 310 Erica which is 25k upwards doesn't have a loo or shower. basically a tin tent.

I think you could argue that in the UK at least now you might be better off with a wobble box than a motorhome. Good network of CL and CS sites which is mainly what we use now and wilding is as said getting to be a PIA. Mainland Europe of course motorhome is king.

You meet some nice Tuggers on some of the rough and ready hidden away CL and CS sites which is my preference. Enjoy it whatever you get and of course stay a member on here. Anyway, you can still do the odd bit of a wilding in a tugger.
I have been a CCC member for 30 + years and cannot recall the last time I used one of their main sites, much prefer the 5 van CS sites. Mind you as I recall they charge per person on the main sites and as I'm a solo traveller it would be cheaper for me than the majority of the CS network.

The salesman from Teesside caravans I have been speaking to regarding the Bailey called me last night. Asking if I'm still interested and stated he would get me an unbeatable deal as he is at the NEC this week and apparently they have unbeatable offers lol.
Calling me back tomoss so will post what he comes up with. I have already told him that Ropers have one arriving November and what price they will do it for me. Hopefully I will end up buying it from Teesside caravans as its on my doorstep which will be handy for the snagging list I will no doubt come up with.

I think you could argue that in the UK at least now you might be better off with a wobble box than a motorhome. Good network of CL and CS sites which is mainly what we use now and wilding is as said getting to be a PIA. Mainland Europe of course motorhome is king.

You meet some nice Tuggers on some of the rough and ready hidden away CL and CS sites which is my preference. Enjoy it whatever you get and of course stay a member on here. Anyway, you can still do the odd bit of a wilding in a tugger.
I hear Arran is good 😊

The salesman from Teesside caravans I have been speaking to regarding the Bailey called me last night. Asking if I'm still interested and stated he would get me an unbeatable deal as he is at the NEC this week and apparently they have unbeatable offers lol.
Calling me back tomoss so will post what he comes up with. I have already told him that Ropers have one arriving November and what price they will do it for me. Hopefully I will end up buying it from Teesside caravans as its on my doorstep which will be handy for the snagging list I will no doubt come up with.
You should get a good deal on a new trailer, I think all the manufacturers around here have now laid a lot of workers off and have masses of new vans they built when everyone was shopping after lockdowns ended 👍

Buyers market I'd think Steve I'm sure you will play it cool all the best mate

Sounds good Steve mix it up a bit. I’ve been looking at statics and park homes down Ayrshire way trying to find one on a site with some facilities so that my daughters and the whole family can use not new maybe 4 5 yeasts old. Will still keep the motorhome though maybe downsize in a year or two. Think it was you who told me to use the van more in winter but I find we don’t. Definitely 100% stay on here we need the knowledge and experience that you get from guys like yourself. hope it works out whatever you decide to do.

This year since selling my last motorhome I have been tenting and using my friends small 2 berth caravan. I have to be honest its been brilliant having the car to travel around wherever I have been staying, much easier than driving a 6.5 metre motorhome around the lake district and the west coast of Scotland where I spend a considerable amount of time. I only wild camp approx 25% of the time apart from stopping off mid route when travelling to Scotland. I am loath to spend in excess of 70k on a new panel van conversion so have been viewing various make of caravans.
I have narrowed my search down to an Eriba https://www.adventurelv.com/new-vehicles/caravans/eriba-touring-triton-430-legend-10947 or a Small 2 berth Bailey which is due into the dealer next week. Love the Eriba but expensive and very basic and by all accounts like most things not built to the quality standards they were noted for 20 years ago.
So it's looking like it will be the Bailey, https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/touring-caravans/phoenix-gt75/phoenix-gt75-420 had a Bailey in the past and it was excellent. Fully kitted out with all mod cons and I will be fitting solar panels so won't need EHU on my travels and a satellite dish as cannot do without my daily dose of sky sport lol.
Hopefully I can remain a member of the forum as love the 'crack' and the knowledge of our members.
With a wealth of previous experience you should always stay.
Enjoy the banter.
More importantly, you will have gained a wealth of knowledge than you can use to help other ( in particular new ) members satisfy some issues they may have.
Enjoy your new purchase whatever you buy.

kennels.jpg

I mentioned I liked the Eribas and just under 20 years go was pretty close to buying the Triton 555 (I think that was the model name) as I did think the smaller Models, including the Touring 400 seemed a bit small.
I looked at the Touring 400 (not sure which exact model) at the NEC show today ... £35,000!! that seems a mite excessive and I am sure a hell of a lot more than they were in 2004/2005? I think you would have to REALLY REALLY like the Eribas to be willing to pay that kind of money for such a small caravan.

Last edited:
I looked at the Touring 400 (not sure which exact model) at the NEC show today ... £35,000!! that seems a mite excessive and I am sure a hell of a lot more than they were in 2004/2005? I think you would have to REALLY REALLY like the Eribas to be willing to pay that kind of money for such a small caravan.

I totally share your opinion their prices are a tad bonkers when you consider how very basic they are!

Some close friends (at the suggestion of their son who like quirky things) bought a new Eriba 430 and they had numerous quality issues with it, they then took the dealers advice and bought an awning which was truly dreadful however the dealer made a false claim that it was the only type of awning that would fit.

In the end they sold the Eriba privately loosing a few thousand on the purchase price and went straight out and bought a Swift Basecamp and love it! They are by the way both 80 and are away in their new van as often as they can be.

I totally share your opinion their prices are a tad bonkers when you consider how very basic they are!

Some close friends (at the suggestion of their son who like quirky things) bought a new Eriba 430 and they had numerous quality issues with it, they then took the dealers advice and bought an awning which was truly dreadful however the dealer made a false claim that it was the only type of awning that would fit.
I didn't quite make it into the Touring model as there were a couple of chaps inside by the door and, by the look of it, trying to fix a pull-up kitchen flap :(

(I think going to shows can be quite handy.... Any van that comes through an entire event without any damage must be pretty good quality as the visitors mostly appear to be pretty cack-handed :) )

In the end they sold the Eriba privately loosing a few thousand on the purchase price and went straight out and bought a Swift Basecamp and love it! They are by the way both 80 and are away in their new van as often as they can be.

We’re in our 60s and have just have swapped the motorhome (been doing it ten years) for a tugger and we’ve put it on a 365 day seasonal pitch by the sea. So far couldn’t be happier. No more struggling to find somewhere to go , no more terrors of the mad axeman splintering through the door when wild camping! It’s suiting us just fine. We’re still doing some wild camping but have put a 'boot jump' in our Belingo which makes it a micro camper (very discreet)- yay !

Attachments

• IMG_8405_Original.jpeg
    IMG_8405_Original.jpeg
    640.2 KB · Views: 32
This year since selling my last motorhome I have been tenting and using my friends small 2 berth caravan. I have to be honest its been brilliant having the car to travel around wherever I have been staying, much easier than driving a 6.5 metre motorhome around the lake district and the west coast of Scotland where I spend a considerable amount of time. I only wild camp approx 25% of the time apart from stopping off mid route when travelling to Scotland. I am loath to spend in excess of 70k on a new panel van conversion so have been viewing various make of caravans.
I have narrowed my search down to an Eriba https://www.adventurelv.com/new-vehicles/caravans/eriba-touring-triton-430-legend-10947 or a Small 2 berth Bailey which is due into the dealer next week. Love the Eriba but expensive and very basic and by all accounts like most things not built to the quality standards they were noted for 20 years ago.
So it's looking like it will be the Bailey, https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/touring-caravans/phoenix-gt75/phoenix-gt75-420 had a Bailey in the past and it was excellent. Fully kitted out with all mod cons and I will be fitting solar panels so won't need EHU on my travels and a satellite dish as cannot do without my daily dose of sky sport lol.
Hopefully I can remain a member of the forum as love the 'crack' and the knowledge of our members.
You do know that you will have to stand to attention while imagining having the buttons ripped off your waterproof jacket, removing the baseball cap from your head and being stamping it into the ground, then your awning winding handle being snapped over a knee before being throwing it into the dust don't you. :) But good luck with the towing, it does have the advantages you speak of.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back