Looks like I'm rejoining the tugger brigade.

Obanboy666

This year since selling my last motorhome I have been tenting and using my friends small 2 berth caravan. I have to be honest its been brilliant having the car to travel around wherever I have been staying, much easier than driving a 6.5 metre motorhome around the lake district and the west coast of Scotland where I spend a considerable amount of time. I only wild camp approx 25% of the time apart from stopping off mid route when travelling to Scotland. I am loath to spend in excess of 70k on a new panel van conversion so have been viewing various make of caravans.
I have narrowed my search down to an Eriba https://www.adventurelv.com/new-vehicles/caravans/eriba-touring-triton-430-legend-10947 or a Small 2 berth Bailey which is due into the dealer next week. Love the Eriba but expensive and very basic and by all accounts like most things not built to the quality standards they were noted for 20 years ago.
So it's looking like it will be the Bailey, https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/touring-caravans/phoenix-gt75/phoenix-gt75-420 had a Bailey in the past and it was excellent. Fully kitted out with all mod cons and I will be fitting solar panels so won't need EHU on my travels and a satellite dish as cannot do without my daily dose of sky sport lol.
Hopefully I can remain a member of the forum as love the 'crack' and the knowledge of our members.

Last edited:
Go for it if it is best for you, I don't see a problem with you staying as a member so get on with enjoying your life, we have considered a caravan since I hit 70 and decided that we want to see more of the UK instead of Europe, recently sorn my Panda (my toad) and bought a Volvo V70 so it could happen soon

Shocked steve but fully understand your feelings,sad to loose you as a camper but PLEASE stay as a valued member and your input is always welcome
hope you find the right van and have many happy and safe travels in it

To be honest ...

We've largely given up on the "wild camping"

I frankly can't be arsed with the negativity that it seems to attract ...
Side eyed glances
Snidey comments etc ...

Most of the spots we used to enjoy are either barriered/signed or just plain abused by knuckle dragging mouth breathers etc

We will be keeping the moho (at least for the forseeable )

BUT mainly using CL/CS sites and the Odd much loved and visited sites we have enjoyed for years ...

Though I suspect I'll probably let my membership lapse on here and just visit occasionally as a free member ...

Well we dont have a motorhome or caravan and I would be lost without my daily dose of reading everything (even techie things I dont understand). So tugger or motorhomer it matters not just enjoy the forum.

A new T shirt you will be needing...

dark side.jpg

The Eriba would be a very nice caravan I think. I was looking at these long before I did my first self-conversion and occasionally I wonder if it could still be a good option.

I think you could argue that in the UK at least now you might be better off with a wobble box than a motorhome. Good network of CL and CS sites which is mainly what we use now and wilding is as said getting to be a PIA. Mainland Europe of course motorhome is king.

You meet some nice Tuggers on some of the rough and ready hidden away CL and CS sites which is my preference. Enjoy it whatever you get and of course stay a member on here. Anyway, you can still do the odd bit of a wilding in a tugger.

The Eriba would be a very nice caravan I think. I was looking at these long before I did my first self-conversion and occasionally I wonder if it could still be a good option.
They are great AND well made vans ...

With their own quirks and personality ...that comes with an associated 'Scene tax'

Older ones can often represent better value than modern versions IF you land on a well looked after and loved one .

They are great AND well made vans ...

With their own quirks and personality ...that comes with an associated 'Scene tax'

Older ones can often represent better value than modern versions IF you land on a well looked after and loved one .
In a similar way to Motorhomes, there was a pretty healthy activity in importing from the continent.
Given they have no engine and you pull them, the business of converting one one to be suitable to a UK spec is very simple and limited to moving/adding the rer fog light, sometimes changing the towing lead plug and swapping the European AC sockets to Uk 13A ones.
I don't know, but I would not be surprised if there was no CoC type certificate needed either as caravans and trailers do not need to be registered in the UK.

In a similar way to Motorhomes, there was a pretty healthy activity in importing from the continent.
Given they have no engine and you pull them, the business of converting one one to be suitable to a UK spec is very simple and limited to moving/adding the rer fog light, sometimes changing the towing lead plug and swapping the European AC sockets to Uk 13A ones.
I don't know, but I would not be surprised if there was no CoC type certificate needed either as caravans and trailers do not need to be registered in the UK.
Similar to Airstreams ..

I know a couple of folks that head out to the states on a buying spree ...

Select a number of airstreams to import to the UK ...

One sells them as is ...

The other will sell you one as is OR converted/polished and fitted out to your spec ...
At a cost .

Their imports basically pay for 6cmonths worth of holidays in the USA
And about 4 months of well paid work in the UK .

Another friend does the same with Harleys ...

This year since selling my last motorhome I have been tenting and using my friends small 2 berth caravan. I have to be honest its been brilliant having the car to travel around wherever I have been staying, much easier than driving a 6.5 metre motorhome around the lake district and the west coast of Scotland where I spend a considerable amount of time. I only wild camp approx 25% of the time apart from stopping off mid route when travelling to Scotland. I am loath to spend in excess of 70k on a new panel van conversion so have been viewing various make of caravans.
I have narrowed my search down to an Eriba https://www.adventurelv.com/new-vehicles/caravans/eriba-touring-triton-430-legend-10947 or a Small 2 berth Bailey which is due into the dealer next week. Love the Eriba but expensive and very basic and by all accounts like most things not built to the quality standards they were noted for 20 years ago.
So it's looking like it will be the Bailey, https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/touring-caravans/phoenix-gt75/phoenix-gt75-420 had a Bailey in the past and it was excellent. Fully kitted out with all mod cons and I will be fitting solar panels so won't need EHU on my travels and a satellite dish as cannot do without my daily dose of sky sport lol.
Hopefully I can remain a member of the forum as love the 'crack' and the knowledge of our members.
That Bailey looks great, caravans are so much better value than vans, that Bailey probably has as much kit in it as the 70K van, but 50K cheaper, doesn't make sense, £50k buys a nice towcar.

Close friends of ours recently sold their Eriba, it was beautifully built but I for one couldn't live with a shower/loo as small and so very lacking in privacy and their's was one of the longer version with seating at both ends!
Another close friend has recently bought one of the quirky Swift Basecamp vans and we are exceptionally impressed with that, so much space in such a short van and surely well worth a look at as they are so very easy to tow?

Having read many of your posts over the years, I'm sure you will have given the decision a great deal of consideration and research.
You will still have valuable insights and opinions, and you are part of our great community. Good luck with whatever you find to continue your travels.

Good luck with your choice. As Sharon says you are a part of our great community. Recently there have been one or two unpleasantness’s from newer members but you have been a long time stalwart here.

If we only toured in England or Wales we would have a caravan. We are former caravan owners.

As we spend 75% or more of our tour time in France and Spain a motorhome it is. But we do carry a Honda scooter so we can get around locally regardless of where we park up.

Must admit the scooter is handy for the U.K. also as never have any parking problems when scootering around and it’s nearly always free with no time limits. Mrs Moped said she wanted a motorhome that felt like a caravan so ours is 8.1m long plus scooter rack at rear. Must admit not really suited for the U.K. but for extended stays in France and Spain bigger is better IMHO.

Wish I could carry a Harley or Gold Wing or Thunderbird but don’t want to tow or spend £250000 on a motorhome that will carry one of these!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back