LOOKING FOR A CHRISTMAS DINNER VENUE.

Hello all
I know it's early for the "C" word, but want to make sure I can get something booked.

We are going to be staying over the Christmas period in Tomintoul (Cairngorms) and have promised my wife Christmas day off from cooking lunch on the big day so we're looking for somewhere as near as possible to Tomintoul to have a traditional Christmas day lunch on the big day. I've exhausted all possibilities in Tomintoul itself, and not getting very far going further afield. So was just wondering if anyone has ever done this and recommend a venue as close to Tomintoul as possible?
If not it's going to be Christmas dinner in the ridgemonkey 😁👍

Cheers

Colin.
Coooking, cooking, what cooking? Pre-cooked supermarked chicken, frozen roasties done in a pan, frozen sprouts boiled, ready made gravy, christmas pud sluced and fried in butter, can of custard or some cream, dash of brandy. That ain"t hardly cookin' matey. We don't have an oven or a grill and we manage ok.
Happy days!

We had a super meal in Ballater last night at the Fish Shop restaurant and it reminded me of this thread. Did you manage to sort anything out or will it be dinner in the van?

We had a super meal in Ballater last night at the Fish Shop restaurant and it reminded me of this thread. Did you manage to sort anything out or will it be dinner in the van?
Hi Tonybvi. We'll, out of all we've tried, one us supposed to be calling us back.....but still hasn't, so it may be the old Bernard Mathews turkey roast ( do they still do them?) In the small slow cooker etc. This may be a stupid question, but does the fish shop restaurant just di fish and chips? Even if we have Christmas dinner in the van we'll have a few meals out between then and the new year🤞

The Fish Shop is actually pretty upmarket (owned by the Fife Arms, Braemar). No fish and chips. We had crab crumpets followed by a roasted shellfish platter, then strawberries and yoghurt sorbet, all washed down by a good bottle of Picpoul and finished off with a Fife Arms blended malt - scrumptious. As the name implies it is 95% fish dishes (eg skate wings, lobster, mussels, etc) but there was venison on the menu last night as well. Check out their web site for sample menus. You won’t be disappointed!

The Fish Shop is actually pretty upmarket (owned by the Fife Arms, Braemar). No fish and chips. We had crab crumpets followed by a roasted shellfish platter, then strawberries and yoghurt sorbet, all washed down by a good bottle of Picpoul and finished off with a Fife Arms blended malt - scrumptious. As the name implies it is 95% fish dishes (eg skate wings, lobster, mussels, etc) but there was venison on the menu last night as well. Check out their web site for sample menus. You won’t be disappointed!
Oh wow! That's not at all what I was expecting or what the name implied to me. That sound delicious.Well, we'll definitely be paying them a visit then we love fish. Thank you for that, it's appreciated.
Colin

And if you want even further evidence of it’s credentials King Charles popped in on one of his recent stays in the area (Balmoral)!!!!!!!

Tony, I had a wee look at the Fish Shop menu, made my eyes pop at prices, mostly because I used to catch much of the shell fish menu for free, this was a bad clam diving day, Loch Carron :giggle:

Oh, I'm sure Neil and Co, can share a story or three of the yummy Cray Fish they caught around Loch Torridon area.

My lifting bag struggled bring this lot up.JPG

Tony, I had a wee look at the Fish Shop menu, made my eyes pop at prices, mostly because I used to catch much of the shell fish menu for free, this was a bad clam diving day, Loch Carron :giggle:

Oh, I'm sure Neil and Co, can share a story or three of the yummy Cray Fish they caught around Loch Torridon area.

View attachment 123542
Yep heard a few stories from Neil about those days!! Incidentally he was down at the Fish Shop for lunch the other day - thought it was great. Funnily enough although the prices do seem high for the quality and quantity I don’t reckon it’s too bad. A really good moules frites lunch there with a glass of wine each cost slightly less than £40 for the two of us.

may be the old Bernard Mathews turkey roast
A few years ago we had Christmas in the van. We cooked the roast at home a couple of weeks before (not turkey for us, we aren't keen - we had lamb). We sliced it up, froze the slices, and reheated it in gravy in the van on Christmas day. You can also pre-cook really good mashed potato. Our oven isn't brilliant so I'd probably not do roast veg. Sprouts tossed in butter with chestnut pieces and lardons are easy to do though.

It was so good, we have done the same thing at home. It takes the extra pressure away from Christmas day.

Yep heard a few stories from Neil about those days!! Incidentally he was down at the Fish Shop for lunch the other day - thought it was great. Funnily enough although the prices do seem high for the quality and quantity I don’t reckon it’s too bad. A really good moules frites lunch there with a glass of wine each cost slightly less than £40 for the two of us.
Hmmmmmmmm, "moules frites" one off my favs, which sauce?

The Torridon Crays and Clams were no doubt washed down with copious amounts of Whisky around a fire!!

Our three day clamming earned us in total just over 2K which was used to purchase our own air compressor, a pic of half loaded trailer to drop of at Merchants at Kyle, I wonder what the price is now? Those were great days!!

Half of 2K.JPG

You will pay over the odds (x2) on certain days and drinks. Do some practising at home (in vehicle).
Top quality frozen food and extras.
Maybe even buy an extra cooking device dependent on power available
Also treat yourselves with drinks and dessert posh cheese etc.
We cook roast potatoes in a ridge monkey.

Last edited:
You guys might be interested in this YouTube video I got sidetracked into watching a few days ago... (y):)

It’s pretty weird up here Marie. We’ve bumped into royalty many times over the years and occasionally chatted with them. Last time we were in the bike shop in Ballater Camilla came in to hire helmets for some kids she had with her. Prince Charles (as he was then) has stopped his land rover to let us walk past on a track on the Royal Estate and had a chat with us.
I suspect that’s why they like it up here. They are treated like normal people and within reason can go about their business without a lot of overt protection. In fact the King and Camilla have stayed up here many times over the past year without any publicity and the only way you know they are here is when you see them on the street.
Funnily enough they funded the restoration of a lot of Ballater after the floods and if you stay at the caravan site you may notice the strange coloured paint on the fences. I queried why such garish paint had been used and the response was that Charles funded it and chose it in the local hardware shop!!

A few years ago we had Christmas in the van. We cooked the roast at home a couple of weeks before (not turkey for us, we aren't keen - we had lamb). We sliced it up, froze the slices, and reheated it in gravy in the van on Christmas day. You can also pre-cook really good mashed potato. Our oven isn't brilliant so I'd probably not do roast veg. Sprouts tossed in butter with chestnut pieces and lardons are easy to do though.

It was so good, we have done the same thing at home. It takes the extra pressure away from Christmas day.
Hi Jo001

We still haven't managed a firm booking anywhere yet, so I think we're going to go down those lines.🙂👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back