Locking water filler cap

campervanannie

Help mine is stuck it will lock and unlock but when you twist it it’s not coming out is there a trick to unjam them I have a new one ready to replace once we can get the old one out.

Is the key turning in the lock? Mines used to sieze up and needed a spray of WD40 in the key hole now and again.
Maybe a case of Getting a pair of mole grips on it and use a bit brute force😉

Sounds like either the lock barrel had become detached or the inner mech has come unglued with the outer part, not sure what to do in either case, maybe try taking the key out if it's still in or vice versa, you may be able to fill up via the tank's cap if it's accessible, under a seat or under a section of the floor.

Sounds like either the lock barrel had become detached or the inner mech has come unglued with the outer part, not sure what to do in either case, maybe try taking the key out if it's still in or vice versa, you may be able to fill up via the tank's cap if it's accessible, under a seat or under a section of the floor.
Yes we did fill it up this way but B need to replace it at some point👍

I've read several times of this happening, racking my brains to recall the remedy, was it pouring hot water on the cap?

I've read several times of this happening, racking my brains to recall the remedy, was it pouring hot water on the cap?
Deja vu ..........

I think the remedy you're thinking of is where the cap doesn't lock when you turn the key. The remedy is to drop the cap into hot water - it works and I've done it. In this case it can't be removed from the van

I think it is as I said where the inner and outer parts are not connected so when you get home a bit of gentle brute force might work, get a bit of plywood to spread the load and lever the cap off, not sure if drilling the lock might do anything or not.

When it happened on the Rapido the key wasn’t turning so we put graphite in the lock and after a bit of jiggling it freed itself, but on this van it’s locking and unlocking just won’t pop out.

Help mine is stuck it will lock and unlock but when you twist it it’s not coming out is there a trick to unjam them I have a new one ready to replace once we can get the old one out.
Ours went just like that. The trick is to move it up and down, and gradually work it loose and pull it out. Using the key, in the lock as extra leverage helps.
As others have suggested, it's because the inner and outer rings have separated. I've not replaced ours, but just use the method that I've described, although it's no longer a "lockable" cap.

Ours has always been tight in the hole and does not come out easy, try the waggle up and down with either the key or the key flap, to much force can pull the flap off so be carefull not to loose the little spring behind it.

You need to push it in as you twist it. I always have trouble with mine and it was the same on the Romahome.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back