Lochore Update

I was referring to the fact the ferry which is 5 years late has doubled in price. Not for one minute was I meaning anything negative towards arran. The fact is this whole debacle has been disgraceful and the fault lies clearly at Hollyrood. I felt this gross overspend could be given some perspective by using this figure which I read on a national newspaper, I am not the architect of this figure it has been used by others to highlight this disgraceful mismanagement, and I am not allocating this to anyone other than our government who are ultimately responsible. I am fully aware that the ferry is not solely for the use of the islanders, I use it myself at least twice a year. But if you think I was having a go at arran then so be it.
I did not at any time suggest you were being negative to Arran or the islanders who live there.
The ferry overspend is what it is now, nothing is gonna change that and answers will be needed later as to why.
I accept that the figure quoted came from elsewhere
My point was simply the fact that you were perpetuating a totally meaningless figure reference which, on it's own, make no sense.

I did not at any time suggest you were being negative to Arran or the islanders who live there.
The ferry overspend is what it is now, nothing is gonna change that and answers will be needed later as to why.
I accept that the figure quoted came from elsewhere
My point was simply the fact that you were perpetuating a totally meaningless figure reference which, on it's own, make no sense.
Sorry but I don’t think it’s a meaningless figure.
This figure serves to highlight just how much this nonsense has cost the people of Scotland. It’s difficult to put this into perspective, but I and many others feel that this highlights just how expensive these ferries are now costing us all. But then if you add on to this the cost of bailing out Ferguson’s who went bankrupt trying to build them it gets even worse. To date this adds a further £160 million to the tab.
Can you suggest a better way of bringing these costs into some kind of perspective, or are you simply ofey with all that’s going on.
As for answers in future I doubt if the truth will ever come to the fore.

The islanders are suffering terribly due to this mismanagement, and it’s reported to add further to the costs, some islanders may be due compensation for all that’s going on, something I would personally support. Some wonder if these ferries will suffer further delays, some now feel that the whole project should be scrapped, and the construction of the ferries carried out elsewhere. Let’s see what unfolds, but this whole situation was totally avoidable.

Last edited:
Back on topic regarding Lochore.

I am told that there are 7 vans there tonight, that’s a bit better, but only half full.
My mate is there tonight, but he’s heading home tomorrow.

I hope things improve, maybe some good weather will help. 🤞

Back on topic regarding Lochore.

I am told that there are 7 vans there tonight, that’s a bit better, but only half full.
My mate is there tonight, but he’s heading home tomorrow.

I hope things improve, maybe some good weather will help. 🤞
You say "half full" at 7 vans, but what about the grass area which is used as well? Last time I was there, I would say there were maybe 20 vans, with more on the grass than hard standing.

You say "half full" at 7 vans, but what about the grass area which is used as well? Last time I was there, I would say there were maybe 20 vans, with more on the grass than hard standing.
The grass is not being used David, there are 15 pitches 6 with EHU.

Too soft at the moment? last time there in May there were vans all around the perimeter of the grass field.
Well I spent 2 nights there David and there were only four vans each night. Perhaps it was busy when you were there due to the meet you all had. But there are only 15 numbered pitches none on the grass. They are struggling to fill them right now. Look at the photo of the van I posted about, the place was quiet then David.

Well I spent 2 nights there David and there were only four vans each night. Perhaps it was busy when you were there due to the meet you all had. But there are only 15 numbered pitches none on the grass. They are struggling to fill them right now. Look at the photo of the van I posted about, the place was quiet then David.
nah, the time with the 20 odd vans it was not during a meet (FWIW, at our gathering, the grass was out of bounds for vans)
who knows. In fact someone arrived to use my numbered pitch whilst I was still there (hadn't finished packing up).
The grass is a bit of a free for all in terms of "pitches" - nothing is marked.

nah, the time with the 20 odd vans it was not during a meet (FWIW, at our gathering, the grass was out of bounds for vans)
who knows. In fact someone arrived to use my numbered pitch whilst I was still there (hadn't finished packing up).
The grass is a bit of a free for all in terms of "pitches" - nothing is marked.
Nothing was parked on the grass when we were there, and I was asked which pitch I wanted from the non EHU pitches 7-15, I choose 7. No mention was made of the grass. But I don’t see any point in offering further pitches when they are struggling to fill the 15 marked pitches. The grass area looked well maintained and there were no tyre marks on it. I would liked to have seen more vans there.

Personally I would have gone on the grass given the choice. I don't like the hard standing surface there at Lochore.
In fact, the people who arrived for "my" pitch (also #7) while I was there decided to park on the grass behind where I was still there so they could set out an awning and stuff and I would have done exactly the same if I knew the grass was ok to use that weekend (all the people using it arrived after we did :( )

(PS. They didn't do that because we were blocking them, it was their choice and we had a nice chat whilst I was packing up and they were scoping out the area (first time there)).

Personally I would have gone on the grass given the choice. I don't like the hard standing surface there at Lochore.
In fact, the people who arrived for "my" pitch (also #7) while I was there decided to park on the grass behind where I was still there so they could set out an awning and stuff and I would have done exactly the same if I knew the grass was ok to use that weekend (all the people using it arrived after we did :( )

(PS. They didn't do that because we were blocking them, it was their choice and we had a nice chat whilst I was packing up and they were scoping out the area (first time there)).
Yes I don’t like the surface either David, they could have used a finer hardcore or stone chips when surfacing the parking area. Cars who pay nothing to park enjoy a tarred surface. :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back