Little Roodee Car Park Chester, pay on exit

I'm not sure the spaces alongside the river are designated as motorhome parking ... and the spaces aren't the usual motorhome length ones.
Chester Tourist - The Little Roodee - "Campervan Parking There are a number of bays 8 Metres long by the river for campervan parking."

I have no idea whether anyone has ever been charged for 2 spaces (how would they check and organise payment since the charge method is entry/exit based as detailed above? Retrospective cctv analysis?)
You are liable for a penalty charge because you are breaking their T&Cs https://www.cheshirewestandchester....nt/documents/parking-enforcement-guidance.pdf
code 86 Parked beyond the bay markings. and/or code 91 Parked in an area not designated for that class of vehicle.

As for collection .. Like you say an official visited, and earlier in the thread
.. we saw a council parking attendant lady checking out all the motorhomes in the car park and writing down the registrations of them.
so they can get your details to issue fines.

My view remains .. if the campervan spaces are available use them. If they are all full it is up to you to decide if it is worth risking using car spaces. If you do use them because the campervan bays are taken by cars I suggest that you take photos just in case.

The parking spaces along the river aren't designated motorhome parking, and even on those spaces you will overshoot the actual area, all be it with no consequence to any other user.

I doubt they could fine you as they would need picture evidence. Prob council just doing a survey as too many motorhomes now use chester car park, gone beyond the occasional 2 to 3 with 20 vans plus there every weekend. Trouble is all is shared on Facebook and the masses are there thinking it is an aire....even thinking there are designated spaces....as if.

we have parked at Roodee since the new barrier system and have witnessed a lady parking attendant come round and check the motorhomes parked and possibly take registrations?Obviously not sure if any get fined for taking up more than one space?

may pay to be careful although you do get as others have stated an entry ticket on arrival so can't see how they give you two tickets for two spaces? unless you reverse back from entry ticket machine and grab another ticket which to me sounds daft?

sorry just realised R4dent mentioned my previous post ref parking warden.....

regards Mike

Last edited:
we have parked at Roodee since the new barrier system and have witnessed a lady parking attendant come round and check the motorhomes parked and possibly take registrations?Obviously not sure if any get fined for taking up more than one space/QUOTE]. Why not politely ask.?

we have parked at Roodee since the new barrier system and have witnessed a lady parking attendant come round and check the motorhomes parked and possibly take registrations?Obviously not sure if any get fined for taking up more than one space/QUOTE]. Why not politely ask.?

Ok next time you visit then go for it if you see them,we don't visit often.

Regards

Stopped last night ,30 plus vans most taking 2 bays ,( i got a space by the river )the entry has 2 ticket machines the bottom one for cars the top one for coaches lorries and oversize vehicles taking up more than one bay . Don't know if they will enforce it. I thought it was £5.80 for 24 hrs but that only applies from 7am to 7am next morning. I arrived at 12.30 on Fri and left at 9.30 on sat at a cost of £9.80 (£5.80 max day rate plus £4 for up to 3 hours) ,still good value though for its location .incidentally the rate for oversize would have been £15.50.Its still £1.50 from 5pm to 7am for all those that don't want to pay the daytime charges.

Stopped last night ,30 plus vans most taking 2 bays ,( i got a space by the river )the entry has 2 ticket machines the bottom one for cars the top one for coaches lorries and oversize vehicles taking up more than one bay . Don't know if they will enforce it. I thought it was £5.80 for 24 hrs but that only applies from 7am to 7am next morning. I arrived at 12.30 on Fri and left at 9.30 on sat at a cost of £9.80 (£5.80 max day rate plus £4 for up to 3 hours) ,still good value though for its location .incidentally the rate for oversize would have been £15.50.Its still £1.50 from 5pm to 7am for all those that don't want to pay the daytime charges.

30 plus vans? I think this is the end of overnight stops in Chester. the council are tolerant but when it becomes a full blown campsite? Problem is that with the popularity of Chester Races, there will be not enough for space for visiting cars and then they will ban motorhomes overnighting, or even completely from the car park. Shame if this happens.

Stayed there last December, wife and me in our van + friends in theirs. Both PVC's, ours MWB, friends XLWB.

We both parked in the main carpark, each within the lines of a single bay but overhanging a paved area at the back. There are a few of these paved areas at the end of some of the rows near the river side of the carpark. Our friend saw the attendant and asked if it was ok to park like this using the tickets from the bottom machine, she was absolutely fine with it and we had no problems.

Check the link to see what I mean about the paved areas. Google Maps

...may pay to be careful although you do get as others have stated an entry ticket on arrival so can't see how they give you two tickets for two spaces? unless you reverse back from entry ticket machine and grab another ticket which to me sounds daft?...

I have been advised by the Council to use the Help intercom on the pay machine if I take a 'small vehicle' ticket but then find I cannot fit into a small bay.

G

As I started this thread some time ago and as we stayed at the car park on Saturday night I would write an up date.

Firstly don't park in the coach bays as you will get a parking ticket, see from the pics below two Motorhomes did and got parking tickets for doing so. The American RV had a car trailer and even had a slide out.

Secondly there was comments about parking using two bays, as you will see from the last picture there is no markings separating the next bay in front, only a gutter. As there is only a few river front bays there was several motorhomes parked taking two spaces up, us included and as there is no marked lines separating the bays in front non of us got a ticket.

Finally the automated ticket machine seems to be working very well, it uses number plate recognition and your reg is printed on your ticket automatically. As long as you take the ticket from the bottom machine you pay the same as a car. When you are ready to leave you take your ticket to one of the machines and pay with cash or credit card, it then gives you your ticket back. When you drive to the barrier it opens automatically as it must recognise your number plates, no need to hand in your ticket.

I will write to the council praising them for allowing motorhomes to use the car park, as this will make a change from people complaining to them.

My only concern is that the car park does not get abused as it used by lots of visiters to the race course, On Saturday there was lots of coaches and mini buses, the car park was nearly fall until about 5pm when all the coachs and most of the cars left.

You_Doodle_2017-08-28T21_36_05Z.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

Last edited:
As I started this thread some time ago and as we stayed at the car park on Saturday night I would write an up date.
Firstly don't park in the coach bays as you will get a parking ticket, see from the pics below two Motorhomes did and got parking tickets for doing so. The American RV had a car trailer and even had a slide out.
My only concern is that the car park does not get abused
RV deserved a ticket ,as he cant park it in a 1 coach bay (typical, would have had some sympathy if he had parked properly). My main concern when i was there a few weeks ago was the amount of motorhomes ,and the table and chair brigade . Its a car park not a camp site!!!

I queried Cheshire West and Chester Council on a couple of points regarding this car park and received the following information:

If you can fit in a car space then the lower charge is permitted. However, if not then the coach price must be paid.
If you take a car ticket upon entry but cannot fit a car bay then use the Help intercom on the pay machine.
As long as you fit within the boundaries of the bay you can park in the central area (the car bays).
As long as you have purchased a coach ticket you can park in a coach bay.

G

I queried Cheshire West and Chester Council on a couple of points regarding this car park and received the following information:

If you can fit in a car space then the lower charge is permitted. However, if not then the coach price must be paid.
If you take a car ticket upon entry but cannot fit a car bay then use the Help intercom on the pay machine.
As long as you fit within the boundaries of the bay you can park in the central area (the car bays).
As long as you have purchased a coach ticket you can park in a coach bay.

G
But in effect you take up 2 bays in central area, but no dividing white line...just the gutter. Clear as mud. Seems now the council are taking a keen interest in what is happening. Also the fact the chair brigade are out now treating it as a campsite suggests changes will come about.

RV deserved a ticket ,as he cant park it in a 1 coach bay (typical, would have had some sympathy if he had parked properly). My main concern when i was there a few weeks ago was the amount of motorhomes ,and the table and chair brigade . Its a car park not a camp site!!!

He didn't park it. He left it encroaching on three coach bays, seems to lack driving ability there, maybe he should keep to the tow car only and leave the RV at home.
Another one ruining it for all, should have had 3 parking tickets fines.

ah I now see. Saw a bloody caravan parked up for the night as well a few weeks ago, waste and fresh containers out. I was surprised he did not proceed to put his awning up and the usual aerial regalia attached to towing hitch. I also not now that they take your reg no and print it on ticket. System not working so well though as there was bloke on the barrier last time checking tickets as you exited.

Oops, wrong ticket machine!

We used the Little Roodee car park a few weeks ago, in my haste I took a ticket from the top machine on entry! (I only have short arms :lol-049:)
On departure later the same day I put my ticket in to pay and it wanted £8.00. It was then I realised what I had done.
I pressed the assistance button and explained to a very helpful man that we were in a Motorhome, no problem the man said,
I paid the correct fee and a ticket came out of the machine that we used it at the barrier with no problem.
I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful the man was as he could not see my vehicle, I could have been a coach driver.
We did not stay overnight as we were on our way to Friends in Wales but the car park is very MH friendly. There should be more
forward thinking Councils like this one.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back