Little Roodee Car Park Chester, pay on exit

chipvan

Currently staying at little Roodee car park Chester, for the second night, there is about 20 Motorhomes also here and every time we stay it gets more popular with vans, we haven't seen any 'W' stickers but our own ???

We noticed that the council are going to change the car park from pay and display to pay on exit, this means you would only pay when leaving the car park. Currently the car park is £5.80 for over six hours in the day then £1.50 for overnight. How will this work when they change it to pay on exit ?

Is this going to affect us using the car park for overnighting and is it a way for the council of getting shot of us ?

We will call Chester Council on Monday and enquire unless any one else knows ?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Currently staying at little Roodee car park Chester, for the second night, there is about 20 Motorhomes also here and every time we stay it gets more popular with vans, we haven't seen any 'W' stickers but our own ???

We noticed that the council are going to change the car park from pay and display to pay on exit, this means you would only pay when leaving the car park. Currently the car park is £5.80 for over six hours in the day then £1.50 for overnight. How will this work when they change it to pay on exit ?

Is this going to affect us using the car park for overnighting and is it a way for the council of getting shot of us ?

We will call Chester Council on Monday and enquire unless any one else knows ?

View attachment 37681
View attachment 37682

Hopefully they are just changing the method of payment . Its a great facility for visiting Chester and the council appear to have been in favour of getting the motorhome business , so far . Will be good to hear that this hasn't changed

Does anyone have an update on this situation please, as I think I will be in Chester on Monday?

Any information greatly appreciated thanks.

Last month

We stopped in the car park using the car a few weeks back. I read the sign and came to the conclusion it was still OK for MH to use. Pay on way out. At the far end opposite the bus bays it looked like there were some larger bays or the pull ins parallel to the river looked good

we stayed there last sunday arrived at 1pm and left 11 am Monday cost us £10.80 just got to time when to leave or when you arrive

That seems clear enough.
I take it we can arrive anytime and leave before 9 am ... And pay nothing?
Or is it arrive after 5pm and lash out a whole 30 bob?

Just been here for our first time for a couple of nights. The charges are the same rates as 2015 when it was pay and display.The night rate starts at 5pm and goes through the night until 7am (not 9am)Being the £1.50. We arrived after 5pm then stayed the following day and night and left the next morning at 9.50 am and it costs us £12..80 being £1.50 twice after 5pm rate plus £5.80 for after 6 hours rate (7am till 5pm) full day charge then 7am till 9.45am on our day of departure being £4.00 to up to 3hrs rate

to clarify entry gate barrier and exit barrier so no cheeky non paying

up to 3hrs is £4.00
up to 6 hours is £5.00
over 6 hours is £5.80
after 5pm its £1.50 till 7am next morning.

whilst there many european campers in car park not many uk plates probably due to the difference system with the barriers? what do you guys who used to use the car park on the old pay and display system think? i/e will you bother to stay here now? personally I feel they will loose trade through this barrier system

lovely walks from here

also the Roodee Cafe is closed only toilets in there now (handy to empty cassette loos)

:cheers:

regards Mike and Elaine

Last edited:
Roodee Car Park Warden checking vans update to my previous post!

Also why we were there my wife Elaine was worried if there was a time limit on nights stayed so I thoroughly checked the notice boards by the pay machines but couldn't find any time limit relating to this.At this stage my wife made the comment that the council now need not employ parking wardens to check all pay and display tickets as the old system would maybe require for parking payment avoiders!

BUT strangely when we went out walking on the full day there as we were going up the steps by Roodee cafe we saw a council parking attendant lady checking out all the motorhomes in the car park and writing down the registrations of them.So if you are having to get out through a barrier you can't cheat on paying so why her (the warden) interest in checking plates on vans?So I advise to watch this point in future even though I can't see how the council now could issue parking fines.

ADMIN thank you for the thank you from you but please take note of my observation here reference the warden as I can't see why she was there with this new system what do you think?

regards Mike and Elaine

Going next weekend so now you just pay going out no need to buy a nighttime ticket? The machine never worked at night.

Planning on going next weekend so watching this thread with interest.

Stayed at Little Roodee last weekends. The system seems to work fine as long as you get the correct ticket from the machine when you enter the car park. There is two tickets machines, one high up for HGV and coaches and one machine lower for cars, make sure you get the ticket out the lower machine for cars.

We stayed two nights and one day, paid with credit card and I checked the rates were correct.

No problems and no boy racers.

We stayed there recently,
rodee.jpg
No thats not a state of the art solar wind generator on the van

ticket mc.jpg
And a state of the art ticket machine for pay on exit.

Great place to stay, all night loos. if you have a sat dish then parking next to the river where we were tree overhang obscured Astra sat, but rather than move Terrestrial TV came in OK.
Having a barrier entry/exit rather than Pay and display deters boy racers I think.

I'm from Chester but live in Wrexham about 10 miles away, often used to park on the Roodee with the car & the motorhome (in between vans at the moment) Bigger change for us is you can't use your disabled badge on the main car park. There is a small area by the entrance for disabled car drivers but only space for about 5 cars. Blue badge holders living in Chester can get something for their badge allowing them to use the main car park.

Last time we were there a few weeks ago in the car managed to get in the disabled area which is right by the entrance, while were there a few motorhomes came in& one at least mistakenly took the ticket from the HGV machine.

Chester Tourist - The Little Roodee

Stayed here over the weekend. Arrived 7:30 Friday night and left 09:15 Monday morning. Total cost was £20.10.

Packed

20 vehicles plus here last night, Chester races on today so it is going to be a busy one, if you are arriving today before 6pm you will not get a space.

Sorry to add to an old thread but I will be taking my camper to Chester soon and I am interested in this stopover.
I have a couple of questions:

1) If a parking period finishes at, say, 7 am - how do you pay for the next period without driving out of the car park and back through the barrier?
2) Is it necessary to park in one of the designated (riverside) campervan spaces if staying overnight?

G

1) If a parking period finishes at, say, 7 am - how do you pay for the next period without driving out of the car park and back through the barrier?

The entry ticket has your date/time of arrival in a form that the pay machine can read.
When you leave the machine knows when you got there; knows when you leave and works out the bill.
You pay it.
The machine marks your ticket as paid and gives it back to you.
You use the ticket to get out.

2) Is it necessary to park in one of the designated (riverside) campervan spaces if staying overnight?
Yes. If you park in two or more car spaces you may get fined, and you will fuel the anti campers argument.
I can see the letter to the editor "Greedy campers take our parking spaces - Angry Ratepayer"
Same applies in the day time.

I'm not sure the spaces alongside the river are designated as motorhome parking (but happy to stand corrected if they are) - can't say I've ever noticed any signs, and the spaces aren't the usual motorhome length ones.

Certainly cars also park in them (presumably to take advantage of the shade) - we arrived there at 5ish on Thursday and 3 of the spaces were occupied by cars which left in the next hour or so. And one of those cars returned on Fri morning and took a riverside spot that had been vacated by a motorhome.

I have no idea whether anyone has ever been charged for 2 spaces (how would they check and organise payment since the charge method is entry/exit based as detailed above? Retrospective cctv analysis?) Whilst we were there an official came to deal with (empty?) the payment machines and didn't, as far as I could see, do or say anything to the motorhomers parked in the middle.

But anyway, every time we've stayed there motorhomes have overflowed into the main section and many have taken up more than one parking box.

On one occasion our visit coincided with what seemed to be a gay VW Transporter rally - about 40 vans turned up, with all but 2 parked in the middle.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back