Lithium/lead acid Hybrid battery Setup

Actually my Sargent unit (EC225) charger packed up a few years ago so I disabled the charger and now use the red switch to power up a 240v to variable DC output unit. The voltage output is matched to the output of the solar panels and feeds directly into the MPPT solar controller and this then charges the battery bank. So in other words the controller thinks it is sunny but in fact it’s being fed by DC voltage from the transformer. This has worked now for over 5 years. I do have a diode on the DC +ve of the transformer to prevent feedback from the solar +ve.
View attachment 133379
What a good idea. Simple and effective. Will tuck this away in my "could be useful one day' memory bank 👍

A few forum members have this setup, using a fixed voltage PSU for main charging feeding into the MPPT controller they have for solar and a physical switch to select which input they want to use. It is a cost effective system as it eliminates the need to have a smart AC-DC mains charger and those PSUs are way cheaper.

You could automate the switching by using a 5-pin Relay and have the input switched when the presence of EHU is detected. (I think I would do that as I wouldn't trust myself to remember to switch over to the required input).

Bruce?

If that's directed at me Nabs I don't have a problem spending a few quid. I just want it to work.

I'm kind of keeping a log of what's going on so far.
Oh yes.
log.jpg

A few forum members have this setup, using a fixed voltage PSU for main charging feeding into the MPPT controller they have for solar and a physical switch to select which input they want to use. It is a cost effective system as it eliminates the need to have a smart AC-DC mains charger and those PSUs are way cheaper.

You could automate the switching by using a 5-pin Relay and have the input switched when the presence of EHU is detected. (I think I would do that as I wouldn't trust myself to remember to switch over to the required input).
Can't see why a change over switch is actually needed? Unless it's to disable mains charging while your on EHU but that would be better accomplished by switching the 240v input.

Can't see why a change over switch is actually needed? Unless it's to disable mains charging while your on EHU but that would be better accomplished by switching the 240v input.
maybe it isn't? I personally would fit one regardless as I don't like the idea of presenting a significant current INTO the panels. maybe it matters not a jot, but I tend to be cautious on that kind of thing

I had checked and my panels have diodes fitted to prevent reverse flow of voltage into them and also a reason why I fitted diodes on the PSU output in case that didn’t like a voltage going to it when sunny and mains is off

The Fogstar Drift 460Ah due on 23/8 was dispatched last week and arrived on Thursday about 3 hrs before we were going on a weekend trip. One of my 95Ah leisure batterys was removed and the Fogstar placed in and strapped down ( a two person lift required 😬). The Bluetooth was connected to my phone and charge was at 240/460Ah. The Fogstar charger purchased was connected and charge started getting to 299Ah before leaving. We enjoyed a 3 night wild camp with 200W solar and can give a thumbs up to our new battery. Multiple cappuccinos via a nespresso machine and we returned home with 210Ah/460Ah so this was a positive experience. Batterynow fully charged to 460/460Ah and awaiting our next trip ( Using the Bluetooth I’ve switched off charging & discharging until we leave), this means the solar is only trickle charging our remaining old (5yrs) 2 x95Ah lead acid batteries in parallel

Hi Everyone
Here’s an up update on my Fogstar Drift 460Ah drop in (for a LA 95Ah replacement). Used for a 4 days away and working with no issues. The MPPT is left on LA charging profile from the 200W solar panels, and when home I turn on the 20A Fogstar Drift designated charger until the 460Ah is showing charged. I then open up the Fogstar app and turn off discharge & charge for it, and obviously the Fogstar Drift charger.
I decided this week that rather than risk my remaining 2x 95Ah silver Bosch batteries in parallel at 5 yrs old causing an issue I removed them and bought a new Bosch LA 95Ah battery to leave in parallel with the Fogstar Drift so that my old alternator (Fiat Ducato 2007 Autotrail Apache) doesn’t get harmed as it will still see a LA battery. (Thank you Wildebus/David for your forum comments that I have read👍). My new set up is a 460Ah Fogstar Drift in parallel with a Bosch silver S4 95Ah LA battery with existing alternator and MPPT ( no B2B gizmo or any alterations), I’ve used my 2000W/4000Wpeak sine wave inverterwithout issues). Hope this helps anyone with an impending upgrade.
Cheers Dave

Hi Everyone
Here’s an up update on my Fogstar Drift 460Ah drop in (for a LA 95Ah replacement). Used for a 4 days away and working with no issues. The MPPT is left on LA charging profile from the 200W solar panels, and when home I turn on the 20A Fogstar Drift designated charger until the 460Ah is showing charged. I then open up the Fogstar app and turn off discharge & charge for it, and obviously the Fogstar Drift charger.
I decided this week that rather than risk my remaining 2x 95Ah silver Bosch batteries in parallel at 5 yrs old causing an issue I removed them and bought a new Bosch LA 95Ah battery to leave in parallel with the Fogstar Drift so that my old alternator (Fiat Ducato 2007 Autotrail Apache) doesn’t get harmed as it will still see a LA battery. (Thank you Wildebus/David for your forum comments that I have read👍). My new set up is a 460Ah Fogstar Drift in parallel with a Bosch silver S4 95Ah LA battery with existing alternator and MPPT ( no B2B gizmo or any alterations), I’ve used my 2000W/4000Wpeak sine wave inverterwithout issues). Hope this helps anyone with an impending upgrade.
Cheers Dave
Mybe a loach lead carbon would be a better buy.

Back