Lemon

I think we can sort this pretty simple, I know Kev Hymers and his colleague Peter at Danum I am sure they will only be too willing and interested to comment on your remarks being truthful etc.

I have known Kev for about 30 years I used to trade him cars before they got involved with motorhomes. and I have never known him pull a deliberate stroke on customers so I think it is fair he is given opportunity if he wishes to give his side of the story

On face value the fact you were refunded and no Trading standards involved indicates to me they were fair bearing in mind they don't build the motorhomes.I am not sure why you are telling stories about lemons

Channa

Re reading the thread was it actually Danum you dealt with ? It is not uncommon for a dealer to advertise a vehicle before rectification work is done for good reason.

1) If they have a policy of re con before advertising and recon on average takes 7 days. hold a stock of 50 vans which is about right for Danum that equates to stock sat 350 days calculate the value ..I tis the equivalent of having your money sat for a year doing nothing on a depreciating asset.

Secondly if recon done up front, vehicle doesn't sell for a month or so needs more attention increasing re con cost, people leaving handbreaks on flat batteries etc.

ALso the lily isn't guilded customers can see what they are buying.

2) The reason I ask if it was Danum leisure and you don't make it clear, is it is not uncommon for dealers to trade ( how I know Kev ) Dealers will bid a trade value not really interested in what recon costs were incurred, because they tend to do their own checks when the van is retailed if they trade they lose money on the recon.

To give an example I would never stock a used ford or Vauxhall, In my mind someone wanted a Ford they would visit a Ford dealership 400 metres away. So if I took a Ford in part exchange I would trade to a dealer or put in auction ..people bid accordingly allowing for recon work and servicing.

channa

Pesonaly I would thank this person just think say you were interested in this van and then seen this thread and it worked in your favour and stopped you buying this said van then job done in my book. But some poor sod will end up with it there's hundreds of vans sitting on dealer four courts that have problems even new vans think it's up to the buyer to do proper checks and if not qualified get someone who is there's no such thing as a cheap motorhome the demand for second hand vans has went through the roof dealer was telling me that vans of certain age and make have went up in value over last year .but my trade in wasn't one��

When I started in the motor trade there was an old saying that perhaps still holds true ? When you buy a second hand vehicle you are buying someone elses problems.

The Op doesn't make it clear who he dealt with originally other than we know who has retailed it since. Good chance that Danum will have prepared it properly I know the lads that run the place, They can make a mistake of course but as a rule pretty good. Therefor if we put the boot on the other foot I would be upset having prepped a vehicle corrected faults for someone telling the world it is a lemon. And I think I would every reason to be miffed.

Hardening and softening of values is nothing new particularly in the leisure vehicle segment and caravans. This time of year a good time to sell Easter seen as start of the season buying the deals not so good, Before Christmas dealers perhaps more keen to sell and work to tighter margins to keep money turning over.

A lot of the dealer groups nowadays have full time trade buyers, finger on the pulse has to what is happening in the market place. I used to work with a fellow called Michael Betts and he spends all week around the country buying Porsche mainly Ferrari Lotus and Maserati. a lot of the time bid on description you don't even see the stock. Another reason why dealers don't get too hung up on re con, Service history is more important especially on the pricey stuff

Channa

634l

My "story" is factual I'm advising people so they have a heads up on what to check it for .if it's had all the faults rectified then all well and good
I only ever said they were the faults when I had to return it to a very good dealer who immediately offered my money back as they have a no quibble guarantee , this was NOT DANUM , I never mentioned Danum did I ?

634l

As far as I'm aware the van is still or sale , and severe reversing judder , severe damp, alko chassis clonking , cracked kitchen window , don't get fixed over night

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back