Leisure Shop Direct.

maingate

I have bought a number of items from this company over the years but I will be looking elsewhere from now on due to their dubious postal charges.

I ordered a new Gas Burner assembly and a new nozzle (their word for a Gas Jet). They were ordered at the same time and should arrive in the same package. The Gas Jet is tiny and weighs a few Grams at most. They have charged me separate postage on both items, including £2.99 for the Gas Jet. When I queried this charge they have told me it is based upon the cost (£18.45) of the Gas Jet. They made no apology for this ripoff charge and it still stands.

So, if you are browsing for spare parts, bear this extra cost in mind when dealing with them.

Why do these companies take the piss? Odds-on lost a repeat customer through sheer stupidity and greed

It's not rocket science do the job properly and keep customers

Beyond their intelligence customers have a lifetime value

Channa

I have bought a number of items from this company over the years but I will be looking elsewhere from now on due to their dubious postal charges.

I ordered a new Gas Burner assembly and a new nozzle (their word for a Gas Jet). They were ordered at the same time and should arrive in the same package. The Gas Jet is tiny and weighs a few Grams at most. They have charged me separate postage on both items, including £2.99 for the Gas Jet. When I queried this charge they have told me it is based upon the cost (£18.45) of the Gas Jet. They made no apology for this ripoff charge and it still stands.

So, if you are browsing for spare parts, bear this extra cost in mind when dealing with them.

They also phone constantly with 'offers' . Obviously I must have ticked the wrong box when using them previously . Wouldn't use them again for that reason alone .

Their postal charges have always been excessive. If I can buy elsewhere I do, but some items I've needed I've only found on their site.

Their postal charges have always been excessive. If I can buy elsewhere I do, but some items I've needed I've only found on their site.

Not just postal charges, ALL their prices are rip-off.

I busted the glass cover on the cooker, advised to go to them, was quoted £90, shopped around, found one for half the price.

I would only use them if the item required is absolutely unavailable elsewhere.

I have to say that I have used them over the years and generally speaking their prices have been a little lower than other Caravan/Motorhome sites. There used to be a WC discount at one time which also helped.

My biggest gripe with them used to be that only after ordering and paying for something did I find out that the part could take weeks to be available. They must have had complaints on that score because now they give an indication of lead times for availability. It is easily missed though and is not always accurate.

I am quite angry about their deceit and explanation on this occasion that I have contacted BBC Watchdog about it. It will probably amount to nothing unless they have had other complaints about this company. I would not have bothered normally but their attitude towards my query stinks.

If it’s their fault (out of stock but not stated) then they shouldn’t charge extra. Don’t blame you being angry

Do remember the cost is postage and packing, so on top of the cost of the stamps or whatever is the bag/box, someone to pick the part, put it in and label it, and maybe having to take it to the post office etc.

Do remember the cost is postage and packing, so on top of the cost of the stamps or whatever is the bag/box, someone to pick the part, put it in and label it, and maybe having to take it to the post office etc.

The cost of which should have been reflected in the price of the item, NOT as an additional cost to the customer. BUT if that is how LSD do it, then they are liable to have potential customers shop elsewhere (as in my case from now on). :)

Last edited:

That doesn't really excuse their practice of charging postage on each item separately when they are ordered together.

Also, regarding their habit of telling you an item isn't in stock only after it is ordered and paid for, I wonder if that's because they don't keep a large stock to save them on warehousing - a practice know as Dropshipping I believe, where the retailer has an arrangement with the manufacturer for them to be sent direct from the factory.

That doesn't really excuse their practice of charging postage on each item separately when they are ordered together.

Also, regarding their habit of telling you an item isn't in stock only after it is ordered and paid for, I wonder if that's because they don't keep a large stock to save them on warehousing - a practice know as Dropshipping I believe, where the retailer has an arrangement with the manufacturer for them to be sent direct from the factory.

I think you are 100% correct with the Dropshopping theory as they have a huge range of Dometic items on their website.

eventually Amazon will rule

Thos is why so many people use amazon. Next day delivery on loads of things. No additional delivery charge on many items (assume its in the price) and great returns and complaints system. Others need to walk up..

I`ve had the same thing happen to me with them and they are not interested :rolleyes2: when you ring up to query it :mad2:

I last used them in January this year, i still hadn`t received the item after a week and it was still showing as " Pending " in my order history.

I rang them only to be told it was being delivered straight from their supplier ( drop-shipped ) despite their website showing it was in stock.

The very rude customer service / sales person then said the delay was not their fault and they suggested i waited another week.

I told them i wish to cancel the order and would be contacting PayPal straight away for a refund because of non delivery.

Strangely i was put through to someone else who said there had been a problem and could they contact me back within the hour, i agreed to 1 hour.

They rang me back within 15 minutes and said as a sign of goodwill it was being sent by " Next Day courier " and gave me a tracking number.

It arrived at 09.30 the following morning.

I will only use them now as a last resort when all other alternatives have been exhausted.

This is quite right. I think too many people think the cost of sending something is just the cost of a 2nd class stamp.
I send out things that sometimes weigh around 25 grams - INCLUDING the packaging and invoice.

Those items COST me the following to send: £3.00 to Royal Mail; 5p for the invoice paper with label (plus ink for the printer);5p for the protective jiffy bag; 1p for the outer bag; 11 mile return trip to the Post Office to post (at HMRC rates 11 miles car business use is around £4.50. In just fuel terms it is around £1.20); 30 minutes of my time to go there and back (as well as the time to physically pick and package it); Plus that the money that is included in the price to cover the P&P has 5% taken by PayPal and 10% taken by eBay.
Sure the fuel costs can be shared amongst multiple items, but I promise next-day dispatch so if only one order that day ....

I bet if I charged £2.99 for postage I would be accused by some here of ripping off customers as the item was just a few grams!

Just for your information, my parts have not even been dispatched, so nobody is going out of their way to ensure a quick service.

Another part I ordered over a week ago has been dispatched this morning.

So instead of enjoying the van this Bank Holiday weekend, I have the Thetford toilet stripped down in my garage at home and the fridge burner in bits ... waiting for parts. The fridge parts will not arrive until around May 30th.

The total postage costs are almost £14, 2 of the items are small and weigh very little. You need to remember that I also post items and know the costs of sending a jiffy bag through the post. It is simply a marketing ploy to make the items look cheaper than the opposition and then claw the money back with excessive postal costs.

CAK Tanks have never had any business from me for a long time after they charged me £7 postage for a small plastic elbow for my fresh water system.

This is quite right. I think too many people think the cost of sending something is just the cost of a 2nd class stamp.
I send out things that sometimes weigh around 25 grams - INCLUDING the packaging and invoice.

Those items COST me the following to send: £3.00 to Royal Mail; 5p for the invoice paper with label (plus ink for the printer);5p for the protective jiffy bag; 1p for the outer bag; 11 mile return trip to the Post Office to post (at HMRC rates 11 miles car business use is around £4.50. In just fuel terms it is around £1.20); 30 minutes of my time to go there and back (as well as the time to physically pick and package it); Plus that the money that is included in the price to cover the P&P has 5% taken by PayPal and 10% taken by eBay.
Sure the fuel costs can be shared amongst multiple items, but I promise next-day dispatch so if only one order that day ....

I bet if I charged £2.99 for postage I would be accused by some here of ripping off customers as the item was just a few grams!

The fact you have a 11mile round trip to post shouldn't be your customers problem or reflected in your charges. Do you only take one package at a time.

The fact you have a 11mile round trip to post shouldn't be your customers problem or reflected in your charges. Do you only take one package at a time.
If you read my post, you will have the answer to your question. Read more carefully.
As to the first point, why shouldn't it be reflected in my charges? It is a cost I incur. If it means other sellers can either charge less or make more money, that is the consequence.
In actual fact I don't charge anything for postage. It is free because I am so nice to my customers :)

As a marketing professional (retired), it honestly makes my blood boil when I see the way some companies market their products which is why, these days, when buying products off the likes of Amazon or most especially eBay, I or rather we will only ever buy from businesses that offer FREE DELIVERY.

I am sorry, but if a business is a long way from a Post Office, that is the sellers problem and most cerrtainly not the customers and this distance or rather inconvenience should be allowed for in the price being charged by the seller and not as an add on cost hidden in the delivery charge!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back