LEISURE BATTERY

David is so laid back he will have the inclination;)

When I park with my EHU socket against the fence at home I plug the lead into the van and drape it over the bike rackthen park up and take the lead and plug it into the outdoor socket

I Could plug it in and then drive it up the drive but we dont have an outside socket and as said, I really dont think its necessary.

David is so laid back he will have the inclination;)

When I park with my EHU socket against the fence at home I plug the lead into the van and drape it over the bike rackthen park up and take the lead and plug it into the outdoor socket
I was told years ago that I should never start the ignition when the EHU lead was plugged in as it could short out the Zig (other makes are available) control unit. Or is that only if the other end is plugged in?

I was told years ago that I should never start the ignition when the EHU lead was plugged in as it could short out the Zig (other makes are available) control unit. Or is that only if the other end is plugged in?
Dont think so, then again im using a numax smart charger, is the zig not an old type unit which bu--ers batteries up as constant, wildbus would be you man

Before I disconnected my control panel I found it was taking a continuous 120mA. Not much, but that is 86AH over a month that will flatten a battery. Rather than arrange an EHU I put in a simple battery isolator that attaches to the battery.
Like this one from Amazon.
I put one on the car too for when we are away in the van for a while.

I can only go on my own experiences Trev of nearly 15 years of ownership and until last year just two leisure batteries.

Strangely Barry, real life experience when it comes to batteries are often different to the science. (and I am not disputing the knowledgeable posters on this forum). But I have had several instances over the years when my battery has performed to an extent that I'm told shouldn't be possible.

Maybe other forces come into play but I don't make these events up, I would have nothing to gain by doing so.

I think anyone who assumes that is almost certainly wrong.

My point to you was turning off the solar controller is probably for the majority of folk the WRONG thing to do as it is quite feasible and entirely likely they will harvest enough each day to recover the self-consumption of the solar controller. If off they will get nothing; if on, they would (unless they are parked in an alleyway like Barry) likely see a net gain.

I just had a look at my numbers and in January 2022 I averaged 102Wh/per day. Pretty crap really, but I am in Scotland, parked north of a tall house in a month where the days are very short. But if all I need to cover the self-discharge of the Solar Controller is around 6W/h Day, I am easily covered.
Most people do not live in in Scotland (90% of the population don't) and don't have solar panels in shade most of the day, so in a better position than I. So unless you know you are in a location where it is not possible to get solar (such as parked in an alleyway or under cover), I still say DO NOT TURN YOUR CONTROLLERS OFF :)

Harvesting enough to charge the batteries is an entirely different matter.
I agree completely David, it's feasible and likely that leaving the controller connected will give a net gain.
But as I said, don't automatically assume so.

My point to you was turning off the solar controller is probably for the majority of folk the WRONG thing to do as it is quite feasible and entirely likely they will harvest enough each day to recover the self-consumption of the solar controller. If off they will get nothing; if on, they would (unless they are parked in an alleyway like Barry) likely see a net gain.

I just had a look at my numbers and in January 2022 I averaged 102Wh/per day. Pretty crap really, but I am in Scotland, parked north of a tall house in a month where the days are very short. But if all I need to cover the self-discharge of the Solar Controller is around 6W/h Day, I am easily covered.
Most people do not live in in Scotland (90% of the population don't) and don't have solar panels in shade most of the day, so in a better position than I. So unless you know you are in a location where it is not possible to get solar (such as parked in an alleyway or under cover), I still say DO NOT TURN YOUR CONTROLLERS OFF :)

I see your point David but I think there are way too many variables at play to make a general statement like DO NOT TURN YOUR CONTROLLER OFF.
I dont know how many solar panels you have or their size but I'm guessing it's considerably larger than what the majority of folks have? Your solar controller also has a lower than average consumption too making your system as a whole probably 20 times better at battery retention than someone with a 90W panel and a Renogy controller taking 100ma.
Barry's real life experience backs up the info from Battery University below.

If we WERE to make a general decision on the 'controller on or controller off' debate then surely it would make sense to recommend the exact opposite and say " Charge you're batteries fully and then disconnect a terminal" This way EVERYBODY is covered and not just the majority? :)

Merl

Attachments

• battery storage.png
    battery storage.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 37
I think you've been misinformed there Caz, smacks old wives tale :unsure:
Some ZIG units had/have an issue with overcharging from EHU so generally there is a thought that you shouldn't leave a ZIG charger left on long term. It's simple enough to check out though with a multimeter, just check across the battery and the voltage should not go above 14.8v for a couple of hours or so max.
I cant see any issue at all with having EHU and running the engine at the same time apart from driving off with the EHU still plugged in of course!!!:ROFLMAO::eek:
Merl

I think you've been misinformed there Caz, smacks old wives tale :unsure:
Some ZIG units had/have an issue with overcharging from EHU so generally there is a thought that you shouldn't leave a ZIG charger left on long term. It's simple enough to check out though with a multimeter, just check across the battery and the voltage should not go above 14.8v for a couple of hours or so max.
I cant see any issue at all with having EHU and running the engine at the same time apart from driving off with the EHU still plugged in of course!!!:ROFLMAO::eek:
Merl

Been there, done that!

I fully agree and as an aside you won`t drive off whilst still connected to the EHU as happened on the Uttoxeter C.C. site as it was then many years back when we was there.

I was sat outside under the awning having a brew when i saw the motorhomer 2 pitches down from us get in the cab and start the engine, i jumped up and shouted and waved at him to stop but he just looked at me and drove off, his window was open so he could hear me as well.

He`d looped the EHU cable around the towbar on the back of the motorhome and around the EHU bollard so it ripped the whole damned bollard clean out along with several yards worth of cable out of the ground which also blew then entire site o_O

Took a day and a half to get the power back, thankfully we had full solar and plenty og LPG :)

I fully agree and as an aside you won`t drive off whilst still connected to the EHU as happened on the Uttoxeter C.C. site as it was then many years back when we was there.

I was sat outside under the awning having a brew when i saw the motorhomer 2 pitches down from us get in the cab and start the engine, i jumped up and shouted and waved at him to stop but he just looked at me and drove off, his window was open so he could hear me as well.

He`d looped the EHU cable around the towbar on the back of the motorhome and around the EHU bollard so it ripped the whole damned bollard clean out along with several yards worth of cable out of the ground which also blew then entire site o_O

Took a day and a half to get the power back, thankfully we had full solar and plenty og LPG :)
He`d looped the EHU cable around the towbar on the back of the motorhome and around the EHU bollard.

****! He was absolutely determined to make a good job of it then! I mean why loop it around the tow bar!! :ROFLMAO: Some folks are plain crazy!

I was lucky in that the plug just pulled out and all that was damaged was the flap that covers it.

I've got a short 15A lead about 4 foot long, on it I've removed the 'hook' on the lid latch, I plug that into the van first so it'll unplug itself from the main lead before any serious damage occurs should I forget, at least that's the theory as I've not yet fully stress tested it! (Touch wood)
I use it at home all the time and on CLs, but probably wouldn't want to risk it on CAMC club sites as technically it contravenes their rules and I wouldn't want to upset Ze Camp commandant! (Fur you zee holiday iz over mein frend)!! 🤣

If you fit the EHU plug (remember the bit that is fitted permenantly to the van is the PLUG 🔌, the hookup lead has the SOCKET that goes into the motorhome) so that it faces backwards, then when you drive away with the lead still attached (and the lead NOT wrapped around a towball!), you get no damage to any parts. You just get the 3 wires in the cable pulled out the socket connector, while the socket still remains attached to the plug.

I tested this on numerous occasions on my previous camper at home and it worked as above everytime (y)
The downside is that you end up with a live bare cable lying on the driveway, which isn't ideal ;) That is rectified by making a phone call back home once you realise you forgot to unplug and requesting the cable plug into the outdoor EHU feed socket is pulled before the cat 🐱 sniffs the bare wires. 🙀

Merls method of a short 'sacrificial' lead might be safer whilst also preventing damage :) (I might make a little lead like that as the current Motorhomes plug is fitted on the side and not at the rear)

A friend of ours drove off from a campsite with the cable plugged in, it cost her over a £1000 for the repair to the bollard, her insurance wouldn't cover it and when I asked her if she had a Camping Carnet she had never heard of it, I have an ACSI Club ID card for less than £5 which gives you third party liability insurance for peace of mind

I agree completely David, it's feasible and likely that leaving the controller connected will give a net gain.
But as I said, don't automatically assume so.

I see your point David but I think there are way too many variables at play to make a general statement like DO NOT TURN YOUR CONTROLLER OFF.
I dont know how many solar panels you have or their size but I'm guessing it's considerably larger than what the majority of folks have? Your solar controller also has a lower than average consumption too making your system as a whole probably 20 times better at battery retention than someone with a 90W panel and a Renogy controller taking 100ma.
Barry's real life experience backs up the info from Battery University below.

If we WERE to make a general decision on the 'controller on or controller off' debate then surely it would make sense to recommend the exact opposite and say " Charge you're batteries fully and then disconnect a terminal" This way EVERYBODY is covered and not just the majority? :)

Merl
Only have 3 90W panels. more than many (but maybe only 3 x more probably?), but my harvesting in jan is over 15 x more than needed to cover the controller drain. so even with 90W panel and a controller like your 40mA drain one, there would still a net gain, and more so "down south", so I guess we will have to agree to disagree :)

If you start the engine on my auto-sleeper while on EHU you get an alarm going off that you would need to be deaf to ignore.

But when I park up I always fold the mirrors in, and before setting off the last job is to fold them out and check all service connections in the drivers mirror.

I seldom use sites and EHU anyway and have 400ah of lithium and 450w of solar.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back