Leisure Battery

I am keeping my head down and fingers crossed - 4 years so far on 4 x 110 batteries from advanced batteries, stockport - 2 on the transit side - 1 start, 1 "house", 2 on the leisure side. perhaps Wildebus comment - get more than you need applies !

I am keeping my head down and fingers crossed - 4 years so far on 4 x 110 batteries from advanced batteries, stockport - 2 on the transit side - 1 start, 1 "house", 2 on the leisure side. perhaps Wildebus comment - get more than you need applies !
It really is the case with batteries that that less you stress them the longer they last. And the best way to reduce stress is to fit extra if you have the space to do so :)
In my own case, because I have changed where I am fitting my new batteries, I have evaluated the space available and am adding an extra one to the install - so getting 3 instead of 2. And with that 50% extra, I fully expect that this battery bank will last at least the full battery design life of 15 years.

To do some maths, if I were to add 50% more capacity, but use the same amount of battery Ahs as before, I would get an additional 1,000 Charge Cycles if I was previously taking it down to 80% DOD.
If I were just taking to down to 50% DOD before (100AH from a 200Ah bank), the extra battery in the bank would improve the Charge Cycles count from 3,000 to about 5,000 as the DOD you go down to drops to around 33%

1603017931129.png

And this is just in "normal" use. Factor in High Current inverter use and the difference between 2-Battery Banks and 3-Battery Banks becomes much bigger.

You are in the realm of Lithium Batteries now in terms of usable life for you (unless you intend to bequeath your batteries to your grandchildren in your will) for a lower price than a single LiFePO4 battery.
And bear in mind that a 100Ah Lithium for around £650 will deliver a maximum of 100Ah. Your 300Ah Lead Carbon Bank costing £600 will also deliver 100Ah 5,000 times, but will also, if you had the need if "caught short", the ability to deliver 250Ah+ without damaging the batteries (you will start to reduce the charge cycle count if you do this regulalry, but on occasion, no problems)

Of course, Lithium has other advantages (weight, space, charge speed, etc) and those may well be the deciding factor, depending on individual circumstances.

My standard truck batts are now coming 8 years old and still working well, cost £45 each for 90ah.

The biggest killer of all lead acid batteries is, unless they are fully maintenance free, is the lack of topping up.
I've now gone for Yuasa batteries, which are fully maintenance free.

I must say my Banner batteries last 5 years, and only one failed. I keep the other in my garage at home as a spare, and charge once every 3 months. Last time it was still on 12.67v before re-charging.

3 of those battery’s are going to be getting on for 90kg Dave. Significant lump of payload for a lot of folks especially if =<3.5t
that is correct and why Lithium is for many the better option.
I was going to go Lithium for that reason but decided that the extra 60Kg of weight carried (3 x Lead Carbon compared to 2 x Lithium) was worth the cost saving (and the money saved would pay for a Weight Uprate of an extra 290Kg over what the heavier batteries take up ;) )

I recently had a car battery (in car) fail after less than three years. Called out the RAC as dealer said I had to have their report before they could replace the battery under warranty. RAC chap did his tests and pronounced the battery failed, slated AGM and replaced with nice new Varta which he reckoned far better. So all this has left my mind boggling which is not difficult nowadays. My Banners (in motorhome) are difficult to get at so will probably be out of electrolyte. One is easier than the other so I shall check that first and if bad will take the seat out to get at the other. Is there no end to it?

My standard truck batts are now coming 8 years old and still working well, cost £45 each for 90ah.
Could we fit one of these into our t5 as our leisure battery? We are totally ignorant on all this and need a new one...our usage is low, mostly lights and recharging stuff when driving...

I recently had a car battery (in car) fail after less than three years. Called out the RAC as dealer said I had to have their report before they could replace the battery under warranty. RAC chap did his tests and pronounced the battery failed, slated AGM and replaced with nice new Varta which he reckoned far better. So all this has left my mind boggling which is not difficult nowadays. My Banners (in motorhome) are difficult to get at so will probably be out of electrolyte. One is easier than the other so I shall check that first and if bad will take the seat out to get at the other. Is there no end to it?
One thing to definately avoid unless you are the type of person who diligently does regular checking of everything is to get a battery that requires physical checking and maintenance.
If you don't go around checking the tyres before every journey and the oil & washer levels every week, the chances are you won't check the battery electrolyte level frequently enough.

We have two Varta LHD90 batteries under the passenger seat. I was thinking of relocating them to the garage at the rear. If I do this, will there be a voltage drop over the cable run to where the batteries were originally and what size cables should I use to reduce this?

You will certainly have to assess the length of run of cable, the sort of draw you will expect (i.e. if you run a 2kw - 3kw inverter), all will determine the size of cable needed. Get it wrong and you certainly will suffer substantial voltage drop. A qualified auto-electrician should be able to advise when you have the info at hand. Also, make sure you fuse the cable at both ends, and that the fuse rating is less than the max current the cable can carry.

Last edited:
We have two Varta LHD90 batteries under the passenger seat. I was thinking of relocating them to the garage at the rear. If I do this, will there be a voltage drop over the cable run to where the batteries were originally and what size cables should I use to reduce this?

Here's a full explanation of voltage drop and a natty calculator.

Cheers

H

I run a pair of 6V Trojan T125's and to be honest that is more than adequate for me.
Halfords HLB700 is a Yuasa EFB 100amp/hr fully maintenance free battery with their own label on. These have been highly recommended as leisure batteries for a couple of years now.
Just got the same well in Yuassa guise anyway. According to the tests done by the guy at aand a caravans show them to be well underrated cycles wise.
Most car manufacturers have stopped using AGM as the start stop now.
I just wish I could get a pair of the batteries on the boat. These are Delco freedom 1 a traction used as the house batt and the other a starter hybrid. The traction batt just failed this year after, 23 years the other one is still going strong. They have only been charged by alternator and intermittent charging over the winter.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back