LED Strip lights?

barryd

Our kitchen light is the old Fluorescent type and its really dim. The same happened in the bathroom so I replaced it with an LED light that I can no longer find online. So I wondered about just getting a strip like the one in this video. Is it really just a case of lopping off the wires inside the plastic case and wiring in a cut length of strip?

We are off again on Tuesday so too late to order online so will have to try a local dealer.

As long as the Iive and neutral wires are correct and it's a straight 12v not through the controller of the old light shouldn't be a problem

I have even converted 240v house florescents like this, you just need a 12v transformer. However the cost of a transformer makes it uneconomic. I just had the kit already. Our camper uses this lighting throughout using bought aluminium extrusion strip housing as we started from scratch.

Thanks. will have a drive up to the local dealers and see what they have. I seem to remember something about ideally needing a regulator but I never put one in the bathroom and its been fine

Thanks. will have a drive up to the local dealers and see what they have. I seem to remember something about ideally needing a regulator but I never put one in the bathroom and its been fine
You need a regulator for COB LED lights.

You and I both bought some from China a few years ago on a recommendation from someone on OAL. I used mine to replace the fluoros but they started to melt the fitting. I added a regulator (cost a few pence from China) and they have worked well ever since.

Converted all mine, easy job just be aware that if you fit the wires the wrong way round LEDs won't work. Also some of mine came unstuck so maybe don't rely on the sticky pads they come with. A blob of silicone or sikaflex will sort it...

Dont think I can do it, least not today. Took the light apart and the switch is part of the transformer so I would probably have to buy a switch also and somehow make it fit so I may as well just find a complete LED replacement unit. However, I swapped the tubes around with one from the back which is seldom used, put them all back together and they are both working perfectly now. Very odd. We are away Tuesday so they will probably go dim again by Wednesday :D

Dont think I can do it, least not today. Took the light apart and the switch is part of the transformer so I would probably have to buy a switch also and somehow make it fit so I may as well just find a complete LED replacement unit. However, I swapped the tubes around with one from the back which is seldom used, put them all back together and they are both working perfectly now. Very odd. We are away Tuesday so they will probably go dim again by Wednesday :D
Have a look at Aten lighting they do various types of LED lighting for motorhomes/campers.

I have even converted 240v house florescents like this, you just need a 12v transformer. However the cost of a transformer makes it uneconomic. I just had the kit already. Our camper uses this lighting throughout using bought aluminium extrusion strip housing as we started from scratch.
Led straight swap these day, or bypass if you wish, all my workshop done and dusted, pure white light and miles better than the old yellow glow worms.

Ebay, never vastly over priced dealers, many don't know what you are talking about, still selling candles here. 😂

Got all mine off the bay, carport, workshop in 240v, plus loads of 12v for the bus & various vehicles. Remember cool white is bright & clean, warm white gives ambient effect.....

Got all mine off the bay, carport, workshop in 240v, plus loads of 12v for the bus & various vehicles. Remember cool white is bright & clean, warm white gives ambient effect.....
6000k pure white, 5000 nat white and 4500 soft white or slightly yellowish like old flossies. (y)

I believe the flickering effect candle bulbs are now available in LED, I feel some mood lighting coming on in the big green chill machine!...😉🐻👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back