Leaving van on EHU for 6 weeks

korky

I am having a new hip on Wednesday so the van will be laid up for a while. I want to keep the starter battery topped up. The electrical system is an EBL99 Electroblok and Schaudt charger. I was thinking of running the L/B's down a bit by leaving the lights on for a while in order to absorb the high initial charge. The charger should then revert to a float charge for the next few weeks. Have I got this right?

It should be OK but if you are not sure then buy a 7 day timer and charge the batteries for about 4 hours once a week.
This is along the lines of what I would be inclined to do until I knew the charger better.
(I'd be inclined to have the charger come on a couple of hours each day though rather than once a week until I knew the van better in case of any unexpected loads. If something is not quite right, leaving a week between charges could be a bit long)

It should be OK but if you are not sure then buy a 7 day timer and charge the batteries for about 4 hours once a week.
A timer would be exposed to the weather unfortunately. It's an outdoor socket.
Socket is at ground level so I won't be able to bend down to switch it on manually.
Just want to know if I'll fry the batteries if left on permanently for a few weeks. This is surely the same as some one on EHU on a campsite for a few weeks, or does the fact they'll be putting a load on the batterys from time to time protect them?

Last edited:
If its a smart unit just leave alone, if it does not charge the engine batts then run a red pos wire with crocs at both ends, no real requirement for a fuse but if it keeps you happy.
or like this?

crocleads.jpg

The EBL99 charges both batteries and a 4 hour charge should complete a full charging cycle (depending on the exact variant of the EBL99 it is).
So after the cycle is complete,will it just trickle charge?That is what I understood to happen, and is it OK to leave like that for a few weeks?
I can always use the neighbour as a timer device, but I thought it was bad to repeatedly keep going through the charge cycle when the leisure batteries will already be full.

Thank you. Be great to get back to "normal holidays" in the van, walking and cycling.
Yes good luck, I had left hip done in uk 13 years ago and no problems touch wood . I had the Titanium Birmingham joint, its more of a resurfacing taking away the top hemisphere only of the thigh bone so you can come back later if needed for a new joint. I was 53 at the time. Coincidentally hoping to get right hip done in Spain in the next month or so.

Yes good luck, I had left hip done in uk 13 years ago and no problems touch wood . I had the Titanium Birmingham joint, its more of a resurfacing taking away the top hemisphere only of the thigh bone so you can come back later if needed for a new joint. I was 53 at the time. Coincidentally hoping to get right hip done in Spain in the next month or so.
Good luck with your next hip op too.

I am having a new hip on Wednesday so the van will be laid up for a while. I want to keep the starter battery topped up. The electrical system is an EBL99 Electroblok and Schaudt charger. I was thinking of running the L/B's down a bit by leaving the lights on for a while in order to absorb the high initial charge. The charger should then revert to a float charge for the next few weeks. Have I got this right?
As an idea what about disconnecting both batteries and buy a quality smart charger to do the job?

As an idea what about disconnecting both batteries and buy a quality smart charger to do the job?
Because my op is on Wednesday and the only time I have ever needed to use EHU at home is to chill the fridge the night before a trip. The smart charger would probably never be used again, not needed one in 14 yrs. Also disconnecting the batteries would mean no working alarm system.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back