KM to MPH

My understanding is that if it's UK regestered it should have a MPH speedo, I recall reading about this but can't remember where. Also mentioned were ways of printing out the required numbers/dials on clear stickers to stick on to the speedo face.

Just wish I could remember where I saw it.
you are correct, also the headlights should be replaced for rhd, it's not enough to deflect the beam ok it'll pass the mot but if a bobby wants to he can have you for it
in the meantime a rough guide for conversion not perfectly accurate but any error will put you beneath the speed limit
16kph = 10mph
32 = 20
48 = 30
64 = 40
80 = 50
96 = 60
112 = 70
hope this helps you till you get your speedo calibrated
tony

Last edited:
km scale

Hi Kate,
Have a look at the km scale. You'll find orange-red dots or stripes around the 120,90,50,30 km. These are the most used speed-limits in the UK in miles(60 M,30 M..) At least mine does have them. Probably they will have changed the lay-out of the speedo's but I don't think they changed the scales.

what make of chassis is your hymer built on ? mabey you can drop on a new or second hand instrument pod, i know the milage will be affected mabey showing more or less milage but then at least you will have a accurate mph reading. and that will be a straght forward swop thats usualy the easiest way when importing a motor. i would have thourght that if you got the m/h from a british dealer that all mods ie lights and speedo would have been sorted.

UK rules

A British registered vehicle has to have a MPH speedometer clearly visible in the dark (this makes stick on ones a little suspect) :eek: and Head lamps dipping to the left.
Also the fog light has to be on the rear OFF side or middle. (not on the near side for the UK):eek:
If you have saved a vast amount of dosh by buying abroad, it would be worth paying out to fit UK headlamps and a UK speedometer for piece of mind:D

as far as i know you are correct on that ***** i think that the easiest way to correct the speedo will be a replacement

you are welcome ***** , even if it is not a legal requirement to have a mph speedo. i think to replace kph ones to mph will save a lot of hard earned cash on speeding fines, not to say about the points :eek: on the old licence. it is a easy job to replace the instrument pod .

I am 99.999% sure that my post is correct. Thanks Mandrake:cool:
it won't be neccesary to replace the whole instrument it is possible to remove the dial from a rhd at a scrapyard and replace yours with it

make

what make of chassis is your hymer built on ? mabey you can drop on a new or second hand instrument pod, i know the milage will be affected mabey showing more or less milage but then at least you will have a accurate mph reading. and that will be a straght forward swop thats usualy the easiest way when importing a motor. i would have thourght that if you got the m/h from a british dealer that all mods ie lights and speedo would have been sorted.

Hi mandrake
its on a fiat, the hymer has been in the uk since 1996 i think, I purchased it private. Its just had 12 month MOT put on it. I did not think at the time it would be any problem?
Regards Julie

hymer

A British registered vehicle has to have a MPH speedometer clearly visible in the dark (this makes stick on ones a little suspect) :eek: and Head lamps dipping to the left.
Also the fog light has to be on the rear OFF side or middle. (not on the near side for the UK):eek:
If you have saved a vast amount of dosh by buying abroad, it would be worth paying out to fit UK headlamps and a UK speedometer for piece of mind:D

No got it private sale already in the UK, the bloke had it the last 2 years
regards Julie

replace

it won't be neccesary to replace the whole instrument it is possible to remove the dial from a rhd at a scrapyard and replace yours with it

Hi
Do you mean find a hymer in my local scrap yard? or just a rhd dial the same size?
regards Julie

it looks like whoever has done the mot tests dont seem to think it is important to have a mph speedo fitted, and i am not 100% shure if it is a legal requirement. but as i am off work at the mo i will call at my local mot station and find out, i will post my findings later. but even if it is not a legal requirement i should think that it will save any probs with speeding fines and points to do a quick change from kph to mph hope this helps.

i think it is too, but just to confirm it for kaths benefit. also it will give me something to do.

Hi
Do you mean find a hymer in my local scrap yard? or just a rhd dial the same size?
regards Julie
find a fiat ducato/peugeot boxer or a citroen relay, the headlightts are all the same as your hymer, the headlights on your hymer are the same as the original chassis ones, you should find the dial inside the speedo is removable

Last edited:
it looks like whoever has done the mot tests dont seem to think it is important to have a mph speedo fitted, and i am not 100% shure if it is a legal requirement. but as i am off work at the mo i will call at my local mot station and find out, i will post my findings later. but even if it is not a legal requirement i should think that it will save any probs with speeding fines and points to do a quick change from kph to mph hope this helps.
it is a legal requirement but not an mot fail, nor are lhd headlights as long as the beam is deflected

it is a legal requirement but not an mot fail, nor are lhd headlights as long as the beam is deflected
The van has just passed the MOT so i recon the lights may have been changed Walkers mate.

The van has just passed the MOT so i recon the lights may have been changed Walkers mate.
mine passed 'just deflect the beam and i can't fail it' the mot inspectors words, silly really cos it stilll is a legal requirement and had to be done afterwards

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back