KM to MPH

kate13

Hi
I know my Hymer is ok, and just passed MOT ok, but is it ok by law to have the KM readout? I am new to this, so just do not know. Maybe I have to change it to read MPH?
Kind Regards Julie

Hi
I know my Hymer is ok, and just passed MOT ok, but is it ok by law to have the KM readout? I am new to this, so just do not know. Maybe I have to change it to read MPH?
Kind Regards Julie
I would not think so but i am not 100%

Hi
Kind Regards Julie

My understanding is that if it's UK regestered it should have a MPH speedo, I recall reading about this but can't remember where. Also mentioned were ways of printing out the required numbers/dials on clear stickers to stick on to the speedo face.

Just wish I could remember where I saw it.

A lot of speedos arn't that acurate mine is well out so i use the one on my satnav it a lot more acurate.

Hi, Kate. Just found the answer to your probs. on e.bay ,;)

Go to item no. 300192971647 and have a look at this product, if you don't think this is the answer,then e.mail the seller and give him your requirments, looks genuine and only a tenner.:cool:

Good luck

Hi, Kate. Just found the answer to your probs. on e.bay ,;)

Go to item no. 300192971647 and have a look at this product, if you don't think this is the answer,then e.mail the seller and give him your requirments, looks genuine and only a tenner.:cool:

Good luck
That sould do the job Lenny nice one

Whilst on the subject of speedo's, I had my winter project on a run today and the speedo needle seemed to rock back and forth and would'nt settle on a steady speed, Whats the cause of this?:confused:

It's a 1985 Talbot express.

Whilst on the subject of speedo's, I had my winter project on a run today and the speedo needle seemed to rock back and forth and would'nt settle on a steady speed, Whats the cause of this?:confused:

Maybe its the cable not seated right or the cable could be worn, mine did the same thing and it was not in right at the gearbox ;)

Ah Lennie,

I know you've already had an answer to this but this brought back memories of when all I could afford were what seemed at the time to be decrepit old cars and seem to be even more so now. This was an common but easily solved problem and it's due to the inner cable of the speedo cable. Years ago, and maybe even now, you could buy an new inner cable, draw out the old one, slide in the new one and problem solved. A brand new speedo. The problem was always that the inner cable had square ends to collect and transmit the drive at each end. At one end or the other the square end would have rounded the edges off into a threepenny bit shape. This wouldn't then transmit the drive from the gearbox to the instrument without slipping. Hence a jumpy needle.

Nowadays you probably have to buy a new cable and probably not so easy to fit; but not difficult either. Best of luck.

To the original poster. Sorry.

Tom

Decrepit old cars, first was a 1953 Ford Anglia, the second a 1951 Morris Oxford - both with side-valve engines. But happy days.

Trevor

"i use the one on my satnav it a lot more acurate"

Dont kid yourself.

If you are going downhill you will be travelling faster than you think as sat nav calculates on a level surface

Trevor

"i use the one on my satnav it a lot more acurate"

Dont kid yourself.

If you are going downhill you will be travelling faster than you think as sat nav calculates on a level surface
So it is the opposite if i am going uphill then Sortcircuit.:eek:

Last edited:
Yes

But the boys with the cameras no they will get more on the downhill than the uphill

Ah Lennie,

I know you've already had an answer to this but this brought back memories of when all I could afford were what seemed at the time to be decrepit old cars and seem to be even more so now. This was an common but easily solved problem and it's due to the inner cable of the speedo cable. Years ago, and maybe even now, you could buy an new inner cable, draw out the old one, slide in the new one and problem solved. A brand new speedo. The problem was always that the inner cable had square ends to collect and transmit the drive at each end. At one end or the other the square end would have rounded the edges off into a threepenny bit shape. This wouldn't then transmit the drive from the gearbox to the instrument without slipping. Hence a jumpy needle.

Nowadays you probably have to buy a new cable and probably not so easy to fit; but not difficult either. Best of luck.

Tom

Decrepit old cars, first was a 1953 Ford Anglia, the second a 1951 Morris Oxford - both with side-valve engines. But happy days.
I remember those day aswell Tom no worries mate.

Ah Lennie,

Tom

Thanks Tom, even now all I can afford is decrepid old campervans, but that does'nt bother me, I quite enjoy them actually.

The motor factor shop had a laugh when I asked if they still sold the piston rubber repair kits for my brake cylinders,(you have to buy the whole unit now)

And you should have seen the young lads face when I asked for a set of points.:confused::eek:

I need to think about this as the low fliers have set in.

It does not matter if you are going uphill or downhill. What satnav says on a hill, does not accurately indicate your actual horizontal speed, which it is measuring and indicating. The cameras are measuring your surface speed which could be faster

Sorry if I have misled

I need to think about this as the low fliers have set in.

It does not matter if you are going uphill or downhill. What satnav says on a hill, does not accurately indicate your actual horizontal speed, which it is measuring and indicating. The cameras are measuring your surface speed which could be faster

Sorry if I have misled
No probs mate

Hi
Kind Regards Julie

I put my German reg Merc through an MOT last year and the speedo was only calibrated in Kph, it was not an issue. I have a dim (like 25 years ago) memory that kph is acceptable for speedos as tachographs on trucks have to be calibrated only in Kms to comply with EU directives on drivers hours regulations.

There are some web sites with the MOT checklists available, its not a check item, which seems odd.

I put my German reg Merc through an MOT last year and the speedo was only calibrated in Kph, it was not an issue. I have a dim (like 25 years ago) memory that kph is acceptable for speedos as tachographs on trucks have to be calibrated only in Kms to comply with EU directives on drivers hours regulations.

There are some web sites with the MOT checklists available, its not a check item, which seems odd.

It's a common held misconseption that because a vehicle has passed the MOT test it must meet the legal requirements to be used on the road.

This is not the case.

Speedo opperation is a typical example: Although not a test item, (without a calibrated rolling road it would be impossible to test) it is still an offence to use a vehicle without a properly opperating speedo.

The reason I believe that it is considered necessary to be marked in MPH is that all speed limits are marked as such. You would be prosecuted for exeeding 30MPH not 48KPH.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back