Keeping warm

trouble with these open flame, flueless heaters is the amount of carbon monoxide they produce, [and condensation!]
in a confined space like a van they're just dangerous ! ok-ish if you're being sensible,but have a drink and doze off, you may never wake up again.
so- just don't !

trouble with these open flame, flueless heaters is the amount of carbon monoxide they produce, [and condensation!]
in a confined space like a van they're just dangerous ! ok-ish if you're being sensible,but have a drink and doze off, you may never wake up again.
so- just don't !

according to the instructions they don't release carbon monoxide as a by product only carbon dioxide and water so no more dangerous than breathing, still need to take care though due to having an open flame and there shouldn't be a motorhome out there that doesn't already have adequate ventilation to cope with the small amount of moisture given off that could cause condensation,

according to the instructions they don't release carbon monoxide as a by product only carbon dioxide and water so no more dangerous than breathing, still need to take care though due to having an open flame and there shouldn't be a motorhome out there that doesn't already have adequate ventilation to cope with the small amount of moisture given off that could cause condensation,
should have quoted,i was referring to the earlier post ! quite happy with bio ethanol

these Carver 1800 room heater, bench tested and guaranteed, for caravan (18001501) | eBay are great. i have a 3.2kw Webasto diesel heater,and one similar to this,they both heat the van to 'hot' in the same time
they need a bit of a hole in the floor,but only need a gas line,so no electrics needed
unlike webby,eber and propex etc, almost totally silent
once the van is hot,will keep warm with just the pilot light
seriously underrated.
I know the dealer who is selling the one in your link, it is just round the corner from where I live and he is a very helpful bloke

these Carver 1800 room heater, bench tested and guaranteed, for caravan (18001501) | eBay are great. i have a 3.2kw Webasto diesel heater,and one similar to this,they both heat the van to 'hot' in the same time
they need a bit of a hole in the floor,but only need a gas line,so no electrics needed
unlike webby,eber and propex etc, almost totally silent
once the van is hot,will keep warm with just the pilot light
seriously underrated.
good option but old , very old .

Check out the origo meths boat heater cooker about £160 new,

these are probably quite good if not expensive for what they are and work better /cleaner using bio ethanol instead of meths, the cookers / hobs are supposed to be good as well often seen in boat chandlers.

How about a large dog, when we had a Bernese the van didn't need heating!!! Also good guard dog.

Are catalytic gas heaters still available?we had one in an early van we had, it needed no flue and was safe in use, it was very efficient and cheap to run.We also had 2 in a house we owned one on the landing and one at the bottom of the stairs, these were installed by British gas and ran on town gas.

with a good old fashioned , cheap Carver heater,with a safe and sensible balanced flue going through a sealed hole in the floor, there's no need to keep a window open - no nasty draughts !

Trouble with the Carver 1800 is finding a suitable space in a small van, ideally it needs to be built into a cupboard wall. The OP wants to install it behind the front seat! And often enough something structural, or a fuel line just happens to be where you want to cut the intake/exhaust hole. The larger models 3000 5000 exhaust through the roof.
Definitely an excellent heater and as said, quiet. Additionally not too noisy with the optional fan blower available on the larger models.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back