Keeping power attached

robodell

Like many motor homers it don't use my van much, if at all, over the winter months and at the moment I am keeping it permanently connected to a power supply. I am simply taking it for a short, 10 minute, spin once a month just to turn the engine over, then I reconnect it when I park up.
Am I doing any harm by keeping the power supply connected for weeks on end?

No harm what so ever and it will keep the batteries topped up fine.

I have mine on permanent Hook Up throughout winter.

I also have 2 of these :- 700w MINI SMALL PORTABLE OIL FILLED RADIATOR HEATER THERMOSTATIC CONTROL | eBay

1 in the Habitation area and 1 in the Garage area plugged in all the time and just switch them on as necessary when the temperature drops.

I keep all the personal items in the van all year round and just make sure you open all the cupboards / drawers etc. so they air as well.

Thanks Wooie. That's just what I was hoping to hear.

Good advice about the cupboards too.

Cheers

I agree fully with that but I would take it longer than a 10min spin, you need to get the exhaust hot enough or you will get it rusting from the inside, a good blast cleans everything out

I have asked myself this a few times recently.

I always did the same as a friend who after being on charge for a long spell went off to France and his cab battery failed within hours. So now, as an experiment, I have put off having mine on charge until the weather gets colder. Seems fine so far but I have no idea how much electricity I'm saving by doing this.

I have asked myself this a few times recently.

I always did the same as a friend who after being on charge for a long spell went off to France and his cab battery failed within hours. So now, as an experiment, I have put off having mine on charge until the weather gets colder. Seems fine so far but I have no idea how much electricity I'm saving by doing this.

I have no evidence for this, only from what I have seen from MH or Caravans I have owned/used over the last 30 years.
Most standard fitted battery chargers are really really basic and I can't imagine that they are able to look after a battery long time without damaging the battery.

As for your friends battery, it may just have been "coocked dry" by an unintelligent battery charger, you never know. The worst thing you can do to a battery is to let the water lever drop too much. Or discharge it and leave it discharged.

Also keep in mind that your hook up will only charge the leisure battery but not the van battery.

I agree fully with that but I would take it longer than a 10min spin, you need to get the exhaust hot enough or you will get it rusting from the inside, a good blast cleans everything out

Exactly what I was going to say, also vapourise any moisture in the engine. Stops rust forming inside the engine

Teutone, Mains charges both van and leisure batteries.
We also keep an electric blanket on the bed, put it on every so oft just to air the bedding out as left made up.

We also keep an electric blanket on the bed, put it on every so oft just to air the bedding out as left made up.

So far I didn't own a MH on which the VAN battery was charged when on EHU as standard

Modern ones do but there was a time when they only charged leisure batteries so if you were on hook up the engine battery received nothing unless you bought an expensive leisure to engine charger system, I used to use a cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter jump lead to keep the engine battery topped up and continue to use it now if I am relying on solar power.
This is the reason that most battery suppliers only give you 1yr warranty on a battery that comes with 3 or 4yrs normally, if you go back to them and they see a Motorhome they point to the small print, it doesn't do batteries any good to stand and drop too low

So far I didn't own a MH on which the VAN battery was charged when on EHU as standard
The Hymer I have only starts charging the engine battery when the leisure batteries are fully charged and because the last bit of charging slows down dramatically it can be two to three days before the engine battery receives anything, I kept a meter connected for a long time when I first bought this van thinking it wasn't working

May ask why have a camper/motorhome if you do not intend using all year round?? I know that not all of us are retired but at least join a club and try and get away for weekends if possible, the CC&C
:scooter:eek:rganises rallies and local D.A.s up and down the country, so don't leave your pride and joy on the drive, USE IT.

I use my van as i did my mondeo estate so its never left for more that a couple of days at a time . It dosnt do the engine or the braking system any good leaving it lying around + i love driving it lolol.

Thank you all for your advice on my initial question. I will take it for a longer spin in future and get some intermittent heat going too.

Must admit I too thought that EHU would put charge into both leisure and cab batteries.

May ask why have a camper/motorhome if you do not intend using all year round?? I know that not all of us are retired but at least join a club and try and get away for weekends if possible, the CC&C
:scooter:eek:rganises rallies and local D.A.s up and down the country, so don't leave your pride and joy on the drive, USE IT.

Up until a couple of years ago we DID use it constantly. We'd be off in late Sept/Oct and away touring mainland Europe till April/May, then using it regularly all through the summer months, but (and it's a big BUT), we now have a two year old grandson and trying to tear my wife away from him for even a day is nigh on impossible, let alone weeks or months!

Believe me I would be away in it now, enjoying a more clement climate, given half a chance, but sadly that's not to be for the foreseeable future I suspect.

Up until a couple of years ago we DID use it constantly. We'd be off in late Sept/Oct and away touring mainland Europe till April/May, then using it regularly all through the summer months, but (and it's a big BUT), we now have a two year old grandson and trying to tear my wife away from him for even a day is nigh on impossible, let alone weeks or months!

Believe me I would be away in it now, enjoying a more clement climate, given half a chance, but sadly that's not to be for the foreseeable future I suspect.
We have had the same dilemma, trouble is our sixth Grandchild is now five and it has stopped us for years with each one so we reached a compromise, we try to get away for two Months every Winter, when your Grandchildren are older an you think you can go away longer your Doctor will stop you

I use my van as i did my mondeo estate so its never left for more that a couple of days at a time . It dosnt do the engine or the braking system any good leaving it lying around + i love driving it lolol.

You can do that with a van that size and I would too, but I have a Hobby 6 wheeler, 8mtrs+ in length! That's a bugger to get in a bay at Tesco's car park!

You can do that with a van that size and I would too, but I have a Hobby 6 wheeler, 8mtrs+ in length! That's a bugger to get in a bay at Tesco's car park!

And they`re not very happy trying to get under 2M / 6`6" height barriers ................................... LOL

Thank you all for your advice on my initial question. I will take it for a longer spin in future and get some intermittent heat going too.

Must admit I too thought that EHU would put charge into both leisure and cab batteries.

Mine didn't when built, but it is easy enough to install a battery to battery charger or split relay (or so my other half tells me, cos he did it). I understand from reading motor mags in the past that you need at least a 20 min run to get an engine up to temp and to eliminate any condensation. Why not go out for a picnic or take the dog (or a neighbour) for a walk once a month. You don't need to keep the water tank topped up, just carry a small gerry can of tap water for a cup of tea or dishes after a bowl of soup & cheese on toast. Your van can turn a short walk into a lovely day out.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back