Keeping power attached

Mine didn't when built, but it is easy enough to install a battery to battery charger or split relay (or so my other half tells me, cos he did it). I understand from reading motor mags in the past that you need at least a 20 min run to get an engine up to temp and to eliminate any condensation. Why not go out for a picnic or take the dog (or a neighbour) for a walk once a month. You don't need to keep the water tank topped up, just carry a small gerry can of tap water for a cup of tea or dishes after a bowl of soup & cheese on toast. Your van can turn a short walk into a lovely day out.

Don't have a dog, or neighbours who would wish to join in on this type of escapade but certainly friends who might. It's a good idea and I must admit I was wondering whether I was running it for long enough. The temperature gauge is showing that its up to heat after 10mins or so but I'm sure half an hour would be much better.

Don't have a dog, or neighbours who would wish to join in on this type of escapade but certainly friends who might. It's a good idea and I must admit I was wondering whether I was running it for long enough. The temperature gauge is showing that its up to heat after 10mins or so but I'm sure half an hour would be much better.

A good run moves all the body parts, stops the brakes pitting the discs etc.

Motorhome sleeping sickness is a common ailment as things tend to seize up when not used.

I sometimes just drive out a little way then give a good internal clean, sort out with the heating on, cup of tea, cake. Change of scenery works wonders and keeps the M/H ready for action. Run the fridge on gas etc

We keep a couple of Tesco/Asda 2l water bottles for these occasions only about 19p/bottle

Him indoors ses you've got to "use it or lose it".

No idea what he means tho. :lol-053:

smart chargers

I'm no expert on this subject but it seems that a battery will never be properly charged from a zig unit,as the unit has to supply all the other 12v needs in the van,some of which may be voltage sensitive. it also seems that what batteries need is a really heavy charge of about 15v to get the sulphate build up off the plates,then a much smaller charge to keep it topped up,neither of these charge rates being suitable for other 12v equipment.
so the way forward seems to be ''smart'' chargers that can sense the needs of the battery and act accordingly.
anyway read this and see what you think-incidentally I was reading on another forum about a guy who's battery wouldn't stay charged ,and a ''smart'' charger revived it !
Hi Performance Battery Chargers for Motorhomes - Buy Securely & Cheaply on-line

I'm no expert on this subject but it seems that a battery will never be properly charged from a zig unit,as the unit has to supply all the other 12v needs in the van,some of which may be voltage sensitive. it also seems that what batteries need is a really heavy charge of about 15v to get the sulphate build up off the plates,then a much smaller charge to keep it topped up,neither of these charge rates being suitable for other 12v equipment.
so the way forward seems to be ''smart'' chargers that can sense the needs of the battery and act accordingly.
anyway read this and see what you think-incidentally I was reading on another forum about a guy who's battery wouldn't stay charged ,and a ''smart'' charger revived it !
Hi Performance Battery Chargers for Motorhomes - Buy Securely & Cheaply on-line

As soon as a battery charger supplies 15 Volt to the Leisure battery, everything else connected to the battery is running on 15 Volt. Unless your control panel is smart enough to limit the current. Have never checked mine but from the increase in brightness (with halogen bulbs) when turning the lights on with the engine running, I guess mine doesn't limit voltage.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back