Kaktus Oasis.

I like the spot lights on the roof. They remind me of when I was a kid growing up in East Africa and seeing the cars preparing for the East African Safari. It was a race around East Africa and they would be racing 24hrs a day, every day till they returned, all battered, bruised, bits of bodywork missing, and covered in mud and animal blood. They had none of the support vehicles and support mechanics they have now, nor any tarmac roads. These were ordinary cars from the franchised showrooms with their back seats removed and replaced with spare wheels. The bonnets and boots were resprayed matt black to reduce glare from the sun. They had foot rests welded on to each corner so the co-driver could bounce up and down on them to get grip in slippery conditions. They had their roofs festooned with spot lights, and huge ones bolted to a frame in front of the radiator grille - which in turn would have a welded grid in front of it to fend off boulders. All sorts of cars from Rolls Royce to Gogomobils would start off in Nairobi. I remember the Anglia 105E coming 4th overall one year. That was an incredible achievement, it was in the Ford dealership a few weeks before the start, for sale as an ordinary car. Of course the more robust cars like Volvo and Mercedes usually won, but one year a Rolls Royce did commendably well until it hit some wild game animal round a blind bend.
I expect one of these Kaktus would do well. Hopefully if one did enter, they would be allowed to remove all the DPF, EGR valves, cat converters and so on.

Back