Kaktus Oasis.

izwozral

Went to the NEC motorhome show today and saw this beauty. https://kaktusvans.co.uk/oasis/

If you are wondering what the overhangs are on the roof, this vid explains them @ around the 14 minute mark.
Very clever imo.
There is a lot to like on this camper, just a pity it's so expensive.

Glad to see it has the old fashioned Thetford toilet, I’ve had 2 of the modern rotating ceramic ones and both had problems with leaks.

It just seems too many drinking vouchers for my liking.

Unless you really need 4x4 there’s much better value for money to be had.

It just seems too many drinking vouchers for my liking.

Unless you really need 4x4 there’s much better value for money to be had

Shame there aren't any detailed specs on their site, but pretty sure they'll be struggling on a 3.5 tonne, even on the MWB.

That could explain the price though, if it's based on the 5 or 5.5 tonne MAN TGE.

4x4 on a 3.5 tonne is around £5000 option. The 5 and 5.5 tonne models use a completely different system, probably a £20000 option, and that's about half way to a proper 4x4 :ROFLMAO:

Think I’d start by checking company’s house, then check out “the process” on their website, then ask myself do I want to give these guys 70% of the vehicle cost 8-12 weeks before I get it.

I’d pay particular attention to the directors history and wonder why Kaktus Vans went under in September last year only to then have Odddot Ltd change its name to Kaktus Adventure Vans.

Then I’d be thinking at £118k they will have £82.6k of my hard earned dosh for 8-12 weeks prior to delivery and if they fold again I’ll just have a hole in my bank account, while they have no real asset value to go after.

Think I’d start by checking company’s house, then check out “the process” on their website, then ask myself do I want to give these guys 70% of the vehicle cost 8-12 weeks before I get it.

I’d pay particular attention to the directors history and wonder why Kaktus Vans went under in September last year only to then have Odddot Ltd change its name to Kaktus Adventure Vans.

Then I’d be thinking at £118k they will have £82.6k of my hard earned dosh for 8-12 weeks prior to delivery and if they fold again I’ll just have a hole in my bank account, while they have no real asset value to go after.
You are exactly right there Boris. Many years ago I started buying conversions from a guy up north (Lown Conversions) and taking them to shows and selling them. I would buy the van and pay him to convert them. He didn't only do them for me, he had many other customers, did a very excellent conversion and got 'campervan of the year' from MMM. Trouble was he didn't just do one or two standard conversions - 'take it or leave it, we have a production line to run' - he would sit down and bow to every whim of what a customer wanted. He didn't realise that all this "every one is a new design" thing took many hours of planning, measuring and manufacturing time. When cash flow got tight he took deposits off customers and used the money to build the one currently in the workshop. Then in the end I was having one made, I had bought the van and he was working on it and kept giving me excuses about why it wasn't finished. I had paid him for the complete job including fridge, cooker, washroom, furniture and so on when I visited his workshop one day and he was the only one there - the two staff had been 'let go'. Presumably because he couldn't pay them. I realised what was happenning. He had enough surplus timber, wiring and plumbing materials to finish mine but couldn't buy the hardware. Considering my options I said 'if I buy the fridge, washroom stuff, cooker, heater etc and bring them to you can you use the timber materials you have got to finish it? He said yes, he did finish it and I just about got away with getting the last very well made motorhome which I managed to sell at a profit. I think he lost his house, as he couldn't pay the mortgage or the bank loan on his business.
He had a very excellent way of making the cabinet work, doors and cupboards - but how time consuming! He used two sheets of 3mm ply, made a frame for the panel, stuck the two pieces of ply to the frame resulting in an extremely light and strong door, or shelf, or locker. You couldn't keep that up for very long could you?
Ref that Kaktus one, that winch sticking out the front is surely illegal - pedestrian damage. Tell you what I do like though is the electric control panel with proper electrical switches that go click and join two bits of metal together. None of this flaky computerised touch screen garbage they all inflict on us.
Anyway for your £128k, you get one hob so you'll need to spend a lot more money visiting restaurants when you want to eat actual food.

Hmm. £10k when you first talk to them. Then another 20% (£25,600) when you place an order.
"A further 40% (£51,200) of your total build cost is required when your van is delivered to our workshop."
So that will be £86,800 thank you very much sir before they start work on it.
That sounds to me very much like the cost of the van plus the cost of the conversion.
Let'slook at numbers. Looking on line the MAN panel van is about £37,500. That's for the bi tubo version:

£128,500 - £37,500 leaves them £91,000 to do the build and make a profit. Nice work if you are a good enough con man. There is VAT of course to take into consideration but every person on this forum knows it takes nothing like £90k to convert a van.
OK that was for a short wheel base version but the LWB isn't going to be more than £5k extra I wouldn't have thought. Looking on 'tnet It's hard to find an actual price for a van, they are all "£189 per month". That is no use, I want to know the price of the thing. Grrr.

So they haven't laid out any money for the build, you have paid for it all.
And of course at that stage the van isn't registered in your name . . . . . . .so if they keep it or sell it . .. . ?
And from when do you have to insure it? . . . . .
As I have learned last year, "Show me the finished camper I can actually buy, then I'll give you my money". Luckily I didn't lose out in the end.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I recently came across this forum and wanted to clarify a few points:
  1. Upfront Cost: When customers place new van order with their desired specifications, the van is registered to them upon arrival in the UK, therefor making them the legal owner of the vehicle.
    The practice of upfront payment for bespoke orders ensures that the customer covers the cost of the van and the conversion. Otherwise, if we discovered midway that the customer couldn’t afford or wanted to cancel the full conversion, we’d end up with a custom-made van without payment.
  2. Van Cost: I noticed someone mentioned £37K for the base van, the actual cost of a high-spec 4x4 base van is closer to £60K plus VAT.
  3. Kaktus Vans LTD: Kaktus Vans LTD never went under. We had two businesses running concurrently, and when Kaktus became busy, we decided to merge them. As a result, we closed Kaktus Vans LTD and updated the business name we’ve been operating under, for the past 8 years.
  4. Dune Hob Configuration: In the Dune model, you have the flexibility to specify either one or two hobs or even a cooker. It all depends on the customer’s preference! 😊
  5. Insurance: The vehicle is fully insured throughout the entire process with us. Customers are not required to insure it until the vehicle is collected from our premises.

I hope this clears up any confusion. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. :)

Hello everyone,

I recently came across this forum and wanted to clarify a few points:
  1. Upfront Cost: When customers place new van order with their desired specifications, the van is registered to them upon arrival in the UK, therefor making them the legal owner of the vehicle.
    The practice of upfront payment for bespoke orders ensures that the customer covers the cost of the van and the conversion. Otherwise, if we discovered midway that the customer couldn’t afford or wanted to cancel the full conversion, we’d end up with a custom-made van without payment.
  2. Van Cost: I noticed someone mentioned £37K for the base van, the actual cost of a high-spec 4x4 base van is closer to £60K plus VAT.
  3. Kaktus Vans LTD: Kaktus Vans LTD never went under. We had two businesses running concurrently, and when Kaktus became busy, we decided to merge them. As a result, we closed Kaktus Vans LTD and updated the business name we’ve been operating under, for the past 8 years.
  4. Dune Hob Configuration: In the Dune model, you have the flexibility to specify either one or two hobs or even a cooker. It all depends on the customer’s preference! 😊
  5. Insurance: The vehicle is fully insured throughout the entire process with us. Customers are not required to insure it until the vehicle is collected from our premises.

I hope this clears up any confusion. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. :)
Any purchase of such a value needs thinking through, and in doing so you need to consider the likelihood of loosing you deposit and or the long term prospects of the company selling the item, should you need backup such as servicing/warranty in the future.
It’s impossible to predict the future of any new/small company, and it’s entirely possible that Kaktus Adventure Vans could turn out to be as big and successful as Hymer or Auto-Sleeper but right now the only data available to help you make a decision is historical data,

It’s this that generates concern, in my view average employees in accounts up to 2023 is 4, inc 2 directors, those Directors have overseen 4 companies being dissolved and only 1 was voluntarily, in the last accounts Kaktus Adventure Vans showed assets of only £15.5k

Therefore your deposit would represent more than the company’s assets by a significant amount, unless the company has received significant investment that is not guaranteed by its stock in hand.

Kaktus Adventure Vans Ltd came into existence in Feb 2023, having been Odddott Ltd since 2017.

Did I like the van, yes I did, did I think about buying, yes I did, did I look at risk factor, yes I did.

Any purchase of such a value needs thinking through, and in doing so you need to consider the likelihood of loosing you deposit and or the long term prospects of the company selling the item, should you need backup such as servicing/warranty in the future.
It’s impossible to predict the future of any new/small company, and it’s entirely possible that Kaktus Adventure Vans could turn out to be as big and successful as Hymer or Auto-Sleeper but right now the only data available to help you make a decision is historical data,

It’s this that generates concern, in my view average employees in accounts up to 2023 is 4, inc 2 directors, those Directors have overseen 4 companies being dissolved and only 1 was voluntarily, in the last accounts Kaktus Adventure Vans showed assets of only £15.5k

Therefore your deposit would represent more than the company’s assets by a significant amount, unless the company has received significant investment that is not guaranteed by its stock in hand.

Kaktus Adventure Vans Ltd came into existence in Feb 2023, having been Odddott Ltd since 2017.

Did I like the van, yes I did, did I think about buying, yes I did, did I look at risk factor, yes I did.

I guess if this was Dragon’s Den it would be quicker to just say “I’m out” 😉😎 😘

I'd have one over a autohymer any day. Fortunately I'm not in the market for one. :ROFLMAO:

I use the Companies House website a lot Kev. As you infer, it can speak volumes.

I am fortunate enough to be the proud owner of a KAKTUS converted 2021 4x4 MWB MAN , I have read these comments with a little amusement. Anyone genuinely thinking of buying one of these brilliant vans should go and visit their premises and see the quality and attention to detail that go into the build ,and most importantly get a feel of the people who are about to build your special van . I have travelled all over Britain and Europe in mine , you cant go incognito in these vehicles they are real head turners. Cars constantly coming alongside videoing the beast on the motorway .
Do you need 4x4 ? Yep if you travel round Scotland in the winter or like to go off road and sleep out in the wild . If the caravan and camping club (I am a member )is more your buzz I would have a look at a caravan , much cheaper option. The appreciation everywhere you stop shows the van is special.
The money to buy one of these is indeed very expensive , the value for money is undoubtable. Being Scottish I dont waste my money ;)
I have been back to their factory to buy accessories for my van and seen the developments on their new vans which are exceptional.
I like some of the working outs on here , but I will still be back to Kaktus for my next van .

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 34
We ordered our van with Kaktus in 2022 and went to see them in person. I completed my diligence online but after meeting both Paul and Mags they were unlike all the other companies I had been to see.

We placed our order with £2000 deposit and they kept us informed through the whole process.

Paul is the main designer and with his experience of building vans he also is a professional within CNC machining and builds to what I would say is super yacht standards. The machining and products are exceptional.

I went to the normal where prices ranged from 150k to 200k and I could always find the little flaws in joins and small detail.

Mags on the other end of the scale is an accomplished interior designer and we gave her free artistic license to choose the interior based on a colour palette. All I can say is she thinks like the customer and knows what customers want.

Combined they are the new face of van design. We where promised the earth from others that just wanted our deposit, whereas kaktus are not money orientated and totally customer focussed.

Our van was demonstrated at nec which we agreed too as we wanted to show what can be achieved. Every time I talked to them I asked for another change or upgrade and every time they not only accommodated but made better surgestions.

I have read some of the comments on this blog and feel that some are unfounded comments and as a real customer enjoying our new addition to the family I wanted to let those that are thinking, that I have never worked with a team such as them and my money was well spent. The van out performs and when I had a few problems learning everything. Both Paul and mags were at the end of the phone guiding me.

Yes I agree there are more visibly known companies but we felt that we were just another cheque and cash cow and they said yes to all my requests but when it came to it they said we can’t do it (that’s after they had my deposit)

With Kaktus who only build 3 to 5 vans a year you are the whoule focus of their work and they make you feel that way…. So in a nutshell it was worth the wait and I am so glad I met, went and purchased from them and will be back each year to see them to have my yearly checkup… Amazing is an understatement when talking about Kaktus…

Attachments

• IMG_1181.png
    IMG_1181.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Back