JustGo Motorhome Hire

linkshouse

This post relates to a thread, understandably, recently locked by Phil so if this is out of order mods please feel free to delete.

In that thread the subject of hire companies came up and the fact the JustGo were promoting the idea that with a motorhome one could escape the lockdown.

I said in the thread that I had reported this to trading standards, this is their reply -

DATA LABEL: OFFICIAL
Hello Mr Hellwell

Thank you for bringing to our attention the activities by the Just Go motorhome hire company in hiring vehicle and the encouragement on their website.

There are two separate issues within your complaint; should the company be open and trading and is it an essential journey for customers travelling there to pick up vans and then to travel onwards for a holiday.

Should the company be open
The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions) (Scotland) Regulations 2020 as amended require a number of businesses to close, or modify their operations. The information available to me indicates that the premises are operating in compliance with the Regulations e.g. they are not specifically required to be closed (Schedule 1 Part 1 or Part 2 premises).
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/103/schedule/1/made

The Scottish Government has given further advice on which businesses are not essential and which should close:
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-caravan-sites-and-holiday-parks/
This statement has been highlighted to the company
Campsites, holiday parks, caravan sites and motorhome hire businesses should:
· shut with immediate effect to all new holidaymakers, tourers and other visitors

This advice has been shared with the business, unfortunately we cannot require compliance from a motorhome hire company as this is advice and not legislation.

Essential journeys
The issue of “essential” travel is one that is enforced by the Police. I am concerned that the website and the actions of hiring vehicles encourage people to break the law and so I have sought a comment form the company before decided if I shall refer this matter to the Police.

I am very busy with a number of similar complaints so I shall continue to pursue the company but I might have limited further correspondence with yourself.

I hope that this is not seen as trying to circumvent the locked thread, I just thought this would be of interest.

Please just deleted if it is.

Regards

Phill

There is a private mob advertising camper hire here to on f/book market place.

Last edited:
IIRC the company was actually closed, so why report a company which is complying with legislation to trading standards?
Hi Penny

Many thanks for your enquiry.

At present due tot he government restrictions on travel we are unable to facilitate any hire at the moment only for NHS staff or key workers. At present the earliest we could offer would be from the 4th Julyonward unless the government update the situation.

If you have any dates and number of people in mind I can certainly look at putting a quotation together for you.

Kind regards

This part of the reply I find very interesting ...

The Scottish Government has given further advice on which businesses are not essential and which should close:
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-caravan-sites-and-holiday-parks/
This statement has been highlighted to the company
Campsites, holiday parks, caravan sites and motorhome hire businesses should:
· shut with immediate effect to all new holidaymakers, tourers and other visitors

This advice has been shared with the business, unfortunately we cannot require compliance from a motorhome hire company as this is advice and not legislation.

The part in bold would imply that actually Campsites, Holiday Parks, etc (as listed) CAN open if they chose to ignore the government advice?

I've just sent them an enquiry asking where I can go in one of their vans and comply with current lockdown advice.

It does say on there Twitter that they are closed and will not be monitoring the site or social media.

They link to their Twitter on the site.

It does say on there Twitter that they are closed and will not be monitoring the site or social media.

And as I posted above, they replied to one of our members that they are shut and where unable to hire out any vehicles until given go ahead by government, yet still some are reporting them to trading standards, and asking if vans can be hired.

Missed that,the blurb on the site was very misleading anyway re the present situation. It appears to have gone now,unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Just to be clear they are not hiring out motorhomes at the moment so are not breaking any law, indeed as wildebus comments the reply from trading standards suggests that they may not be even if they were.

However my gripe and I think that of some others is the way they are advertising on their website -

Motorhome_hire__Motorhome_rental_UK_Just_go_motorhome_hire_uk.jpg

This pretty clearly suggests that it is okay to get away in a motorhome.

In my original post my comment was that we often point the finger at motorhome hirers for giving us a bad name and I suggested that if hire company's were offering this sort of advice it was hardly surprising.

Phill

P.S. this screenshot is off their website just now so they have not changed it.

That ad certainly implies that you can 'escape in a camper'.
Unless there's a completely different interpretation for "beat the lockdown blues with an epic road trip"?!

Anyway, hopefully we will all be able to legally move around the country and stay overnight in our campers before too long - fingers crossed!

There is also an upsurge in camper sales due to the current 'virus effect', if the reports on recent sales can be trusted.

Some will dive into camper life and find out that it's not really their bag, some will find they like it and keep their new campers.
Either way, reasonable chance of second-hand 'new' motorhomes coming straight back on the market in the next year or so.
I'll bet at least ten bob on it! 😉 😂😁

OMG the person who asked for help on original thread never came back !!!
It’s an advert and for those with sense it’s for when we CAN escape !!! Just like everyone booking campsites !!!
I wrote to Just Go and got a very quick response

Many thanks for your enquiry.

At present due tot he government restrictions on travel we are unable to facilitate any hire at the moment only for NHS staff or key workers. At present the earliest we could offer would be from the 4th July onward unless the government update the situation.

If you have any dates and number of people in mind I can certainly look at putting a quotation together for you.

Kind regards

I'd agree with a half crown on it or a two bob bit 😀

Agree with Marie's post

Two bob?! Typical cheapskate Scot! 😝 😂

I'll bet you another ten bob note you've still got half crowns and two shilling bits in yer back pocket 😄🙂
Does the back pocket have a zip and padlock on it as well? 🤔 😉 😆😁

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back