Just bought one of these.....

What you have purchased is an electric moped, it requires type approval(or SVA), registration, tax, insurance, and you are required to wear an approved crash helmet. Not doing this and you are in the same position as any other illegal vehicle on the road.
p.s. I should note that a few years ago 'twist and go' where not illegal, one of the UK's famous grey areas of law, this no longer applies to bikes sold new.

Last edited:
What you have purchased is an electric moped, it requires type approval(or SVA), registration, tax, insurance, and you are required to wear an approved crash helmet. Not doing this and you are in the same position as any other illegal vehicle on the road.
p.s. I should note that a few years ago 'twist and go' where not illegal, one of the UK's famous grey areas of law, this no longer applies to bikes sold new.
unless they are type approved. then they are as legal as non-twist and go equivalent models.

unless they are type approved. then they are as legal as non-twist and go equivalent models.
Yes that's correct, then you just need to get a registration from DVLA, then tax, insurance and wear a helmet.

p.s. Just to clarify, wildebus is quite right for bikes which meet all other ebike regs, my badly worded post refers to the OP's bike which is over powered and over speed to be considered an ebike.

Last edited:
Appreciate that....

However I'm not roaming around robbing old folks, on it or shipping drugs etc....

I'm a daft old bugger with aching joints and reading glasses on to see the display getting a bit of exercise lol
Dont worry as we will bring you food parcels to the poky.

20201112_133451.jpg
20201112_133446.jpg
20201112_133443.jpg
20201112_133432.jpg

There are lots on facebook trying to sell illegal scooters with 1000w motors and no pedals stating no licence required, just wonder how many times there going to get there lip busted when some one gets done, i have a mate in the cops and tells me there never done nailing them, many are kids riding them.

This shop has some interesting stuff:) https://www.ebiketuning.com/
Takes about 30 mins to fit to a Bosch motor and is completely undetectable unless you strip the motor down again.
Not that I would suggest anybody should make their bike illegal of course.

Pat

Gloves are often forgotten about when riding a bike but very important. first reaction when coming off .... hands out to catch yourself. Ouch!
I work as an event medic (well, not this year!) here in the Highlands covering a lot of cycling events, downhill, road races etc. I won’t start to relate any of the injuries I’ve seen and dealt with, suffice to say protect your hands!
Interestingly, in an accident on a push bike it’s the handlebars that can be most damaging to the rider.

I work as an event medic (well, not this year!) here in the Highlands covering a lot of cycling events, downhill, road races etc. I won’t start to relate any of the injuries I’ve seen and dealt with, suffice to say protect your hands!
Interestingly, in an accident on a push bike it’s the handlebars that can be most damaging to the rider.
Brake Lever for me!
Borrowed older brothers bike (so bit too big) and came off.... Brake Lever in the mouth and out the cheek :(
( I was quite accident-prone at the time. Had a Loyalty Card at the local hospital's A&E dept)

My bike which was forced on me i refused to ride and it was sold later to fund a motorcycle.
r diplomat.jpg

Check out you with your hub dynamo Sturmer archer 3 speed and white toolbag.... ;-)
I would attach a picture of me and my first bike, but photography had not yet been invented :D

"My" first bike was a 'company' bike - supplied with Paper Round and was so dated it actually had Rod Brakes rather than Cables!
My own first bike was not much newer - A Raleigh Supreme with enclosed chain cover

@trevskoda I can totally understand why you sold it!!!!!!!! My dad went the other way he bought his little rip a racing bike Carlton corsa in electric blue 21 inch frame i was told i would grow into it, needed an orange box to get on it and a nice soft landing patch to get off. It did last a long time though until i turned it into an off road push bike soon wrecked it.

I had a part time job when I was at school delivering for a Victoria Wine shop at the Archway, North London. It was an old bike with rod brakes and a pannier on the front. Needless to say most of the customers lived in Highgate which meant cycling/pushing the bloody thing up Highgate Hill. It was worse coming back down with those bloody brakes. I used to cycle from home to the shop on a decent racing bike - 10 speed Campag, Mavic centre pull, tubeless tyres etc and then get on the boneshaker. Oh the embarrassment!

Pat

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back