jab appointment

I was on a Cohort ward at the Nottingham QMC hospital, does that mean that I am a Roman?

I think the centres are moving a bit faster than the smaller GP practice hubs but in theory, you should hear from your GP shortly after getting your letter and they'll get you booked into a local GP hub. My surgery comes under a local hub with 4 other practices. I decided I wasn't patient enough to wait, so booked online and drove to a centre at a hospital... about a 15-20 minute drive away. There's no problem driving after the jab by the way... they just ask you to wait 15 minutes before driving, to make sure you don't have a rare, odd reaction. Fingers crossed you hear soon Caz 🤞

The thing is though that my GP is in cahoots with a load of other practices in the region and their mutual hub is even further away than the nearest I am being offered by the national service. BUT we have two large hubs in my local town, one at the big hospital. So I can't understand why they can only offer me appointments that will take half an hour or more to drive each way.
I'm not bothered about driving but surely it doesn't make sense when we are told not to travel any further than necessary?

From the stories in the press and on tv, it strikes me that a similar algorithm to 'test and trace' is being used, it had it's problem with that, and now has similar problems with jabs, it seems up to the individual to try, and try again, to be able to get a local jab.

The thing is though that my GP is in cahoots with a load of other practices in the region and their mutual hub is even further away than the nearest I am being offered by the national service. BUT we have two large hubs in my local town, one at the big hospital. So I can't understand why they can only offer me appointments that will take half an hour or more to drive each way.
I'm not bothered about driving but surely it doesn't make sense when we are told not to travel any further than necessary?
No guarantees, but I suspect it depends on relative load. If your local hubs are over-subscribed and there is spare capacity half an hour away, it would make sense to offer appointments at the more remote centre. When Jan had her jab, our local centre was chock-a-bloc; when I had mine, there were a few slots locally. AFAICT, the booking system doesn't offer centres on dates when all slots there are booked.

The reason the vaccines are being given relatively quickly is because it's the NHS that's rolling it out.
They have always been set up for this type of programme, it's basically what they already do, just this is on a much larger scale.

Unlike the test and trace, which was nothing to do with the NHS.

I am now putting my scarf on permanently regarding this subject, or it's straight to the naughty step for me (y) :)

Last edited:
I'm Tier 4, one of my close friends who is Tier 5 has had his jab at the local hospital yesterday. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm Tier 4, one of my close friends who is Tier 5 has had his jab at the local hospital yesterday. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Oh Caz, you're way overdue now! A couple of weeks back, everyone in tiers 1-4 were told to get in touch directly if they'd been missed. If you've called your GP and can only get a distant appointment, why not call the hospital direct? Or pop in to reception and explain the situation... unless you're shielding? I've heard lots of tales where qualifying people have been slotted in on the spot... the quicker the better really because it takes up to 3 weeks for protection to properly kick in. Fingers crossed for you 🤞

The restricted driving thing isn't a problem because this would be essential travel :)

Forgot to say before, after the Pfizer jab today i was asked to wait for 15 minutes before leaving and then was still asked if i felt ok.

Wife had the AstraZeneca jab 2 weeks back at the same little health centre but was not asked to wait and was allowed to leave straight away.

Forgot to say before, after the Pfizer jab today i was asked to wait for 15 minutes before leaving and then was still asked if i felt ok.

Wife had the AstraZeneca jab 2 weeks back at the same little health centre but was not asked to wait and was allowed to leave straight away.
Where I had mine, they were only asking people to wait if they were actually driving themselves home but everyone else could just leave. Even drivers were allowed to go and sit in their cars for the 15 minutes if they preferred but most people opted to stay in the warm, in the distanced, post-vaccine area.

Latest data from Israel on Biontech and Scotland on Astrazeneca/Pfiezer one injection of Pfiezer reduces hospital admissions by %84 and the Astrazeneca reduced by %94 after 4 weeks. Stunning! And that incudes mainly the older folk.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back