Itchen Bridge Toll.

GWAYGWAY

I read about a toll increase for the Itchen Bridge in Southampton, So I looked to see what it would be for the van. It turns out they charge according to height and anything ove 2.29. Metres (sensor measured) is classified as a lorry and ched accordingly.
I emailed the city site and. Got a call back this morning when I was told by them that it is definitely a lorry charge for anything taller than a transit and that my MLI Hymer was indeed well over the limit. As from February the fee will be £40 per trip charged at the gate.
I was told that the fee was going to be that to dissuade lorries It does em a trifle hard on private owners, from going through the ‘residential area’ to keep the environment nice for the people there.
It will be necessary to go further along the M27 and go in the long way round to get to the docks.
Just be warned it will cost a bomb to go over the bridge .

<snip>
It will be necessary to go further along the M27 and go in the long way round to get to the docks.
I assume that you're approaching from the east and would use M27 J8.
M27 J7 and the A3024 does not look particularly onerous.

I read about a toll increase for the Itchen Bridge in Southampton, So I looked to see what it would be for the van. It turns out they charge according to height and anything ove 2.29. Metres (sensor measured) is classified as a lorry and ched accordingly.
I emailed the city site and. Got a call back this morning when I was told by them that it is definitely a lorry charge for anything taller than a transit and that my MLI Hymer was indeed well over the limit. As from February the fee will be £40 per trip charged at the gate.
I was told that the fee was going to be that to dissuade lorries It does em a trifle hard on private owners, from going through the ‘residential area’ to keep the environment nice for the people there.
The height measurement is taken inline with the front axle so most camper/ motorhomes will come in as large van at £1.40

Itchen Bridge charges and peak times​

Charges are calculated by vehicle height at the front axle in metres.

Vehicle class​
Height at first axle​
Toll due​
Concessions​
Class 1 - motorcycles and three-wheeled vehiclesn/aNo chargen/a
Class 2 - cars, small vans and small 4x4sUp to 1.33m£1.00 (peak), 80p (off peak)Residents Concessionary toll: 40p (peak), 30p (off peak)
Disability: free
Class 3 - large vans (e.g. transit) and large 4x4sBetween 1.33m to 2.39m£1.40Business Concessionary toll: 60p

SCC registered taxi: 60p
Class 4 - HGVsMore than 2.39m£25.00Business Concessionary toll: £2.00
  • Peak times are Monday to Friday 7-9:30am and 4-6:30pm
  • All other times are off peak, including weekends and bank holidays
  • There is no charge on Christmas Day
  • Cash payment accepted - acceptable coins 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2
  • We are unable to offer change
  • Non-residents in cars, small vans and small 4x4s will pay a higher toll than residents using a SmartCities card
Please note: Towed extras such as trailers and caravans are considered part of your vehicle. Provided you have the proper towing equipment, you will only be charged once for crossing the bridge.

For more information please read our Itchen Bridge FAQs.

Is another firm of that wonderful clean air ollox....Good job at present, no plans or I dint think areas to fo in Lymington as that's my escape route off the island.

I crossed that bridge probably a decade ago: there was an old man who charged me 50p.
I went back approx 5y ago and the system had been automated: the charge read £25!
I was convinced this was wrong and exited my Aclass to complain at the "command post" but a voice boomed out telling me to return to my vehicle and press the "talk" button. I explained that I wasn't a lorry but a 3.5T motorhome and was informed that I measured more than 2.39m at my front axle so it was £25. I said that I didn't have that sort of cash (I actually had 3x£10 BUT the thieving b**stards don't give change) and I didn't have any bank cards (lies, lies, all lies). Eventually I was told that I could pay £1:25 but I would be charged the full £25 if I ever returned.
Needless to say, I haven't been anywhere near it!

Once home I wrote to the company and to the MP for Southampton, complaining that afaik there was no warning of the charges prior to entering the bridge and no option to "escape". I was told that this was all approved by Parliament and that the operatives had been instructed to be considerate, which they had been by allowing me to cross cheaply. :unsure:

Gordon

It seems logical to charge slab fronted vehicle such as lorries using a simple measurement but that will obviously catch out people driving A class motor caravans. You would think it would then be simple enough for the fleecing station operator to verify online what the DVLA has recorded as body type but oh no, unfortunately DVLA in their incompetence withhold taxation class and body type info from all their online tools under the guise of protected GDPR bullshit.

The staff are quite capable of spotting that you are a MH using their cameras!
However, the Act of Parliament decrees that vehicles are to be measured at their front axle and charged accordingly.

Gordon

I would protest that a sale is an agreement between a buyer and a seller. The seller must offer an 'invitation to treat', i.e post a price for a
service or goods. If the buyer does not wish to pay the price then they can say no I don't agree to pay that and I am not buying the item. In this case a crossing of a bridge, and surely they are legally entitled to turn around and not use the bridge. If they have not been told in advance of the charge then there is no valid claim that the buyer agreed to pay the price. All toll roads and bridges have the prices displayed before you enter the area of the toll.

. . . . .I'm off outside to see what the height above my front axle is . . . . . An AutoSleeper Bourton with the overcab double bed . . . . .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back