Island tourist chiefs slam MSP's motorhome tax plan

bazzybabes

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-09-22 21-31-56.png
    Screenshot from 2017-09-22 21-31-56.png
    470 KB · Views: 152
that explains it

On reading the first couple of lines of the article I discover the guy making the tax suggestion is a member of the S.N.P. , well there you go , surprise surprise. Meant to be helping Scotland my a..e. Taxing holidaymakers, never mind motorhomers, will only stop them coming to our country. It's not long ago that areas of Scotland were in need of cash, and various ideas were put forward to bring the "tourist pound" , now this guy wants to tax motorhome visitors.
The sooner Nicola has her referendum and gets soundly beaten the better. Not perfect in the UK , but a damned lot worse out IMHO.
The above is purely my personal view and not meant to cause offence.
Having been to the Hebrides a few times , I will return and spend my hard earned money there. A nicer bunch of people you'll be hard pushed to meet.
Keel haull the MSP from one of the ferries.

On reading the first couple of lines of the article I discover the guy making the tax suggestion is a member of the S.N.P. , well there you go , surprise surprise. Meant to be helping Scotland my a..e. Taxing holidaymakers, never mind motorhomers, will only stop them coming to our country. It's not long ago that areas of Scotland were in need of cash, and various ideas were put forward to bring the "tourist pound" , now this guy wants to tax motorhome visitors.
The sooner Nicola has her referendum and gets soundly beaten the better. Not perfect in the UK , but a damned lot worse out IMHO.
The above is purely my personal view and not meant to cause offence.
Having been to the Hebrides a few times , I will return and spend my hard earned money there. A nicer bunch of people you'll be hard pushed to meet.
Keel haull the MSP from one of the ferries.

This subject has been covered on another thread . Another member there used it as a vehicle for their political beliefs as you are doing . At least you accept it was one MSP making a suggestion and not something that was necessarily happening .
Little bit mind boggling that you can blame the SNP for everything . Didn't they introduce and expand the R.E.T. ferry fares which we all think is great ?

It is rather telling that every time an issue related to Scotland comes along, there is always a few people seeking to spout invective against the SNP.

The truth is that the SNP was democratically elected and does seem to be doing what they said they would.

Compare that to the Westminster government which has no mandate and is not doing what they said they would do (thank goodness).

Seems to me that the unconvincing criticisms of SNP indicate a lack of genuine criticism of their policies.

Tax is good. Don't be fooled by years of propaganda. Taxes fund essential services, regulate the economy, help redistribute income. It pays for a decent society.
That is probably because a significant majority DID NOT vote for the SNP or their polices, so it is hardly surprising that MOST people do not agree with what they are doing. No difference to the UK government on that basis if you chose to compare, who were just as democratically elected.

So as they say in Scotland, go boil yer heid

That is probably because a significant majority DID NOT vote for the SNP or their polices, so it is hardly surprising that MOST people do not agree with what they are doing. No difference to the UK government on that basis if you chose to compare, who were just as democratically elected.

Think you will find your wrong, sure the last time I looked the Snp had more votes than any mother part! But hey don’t let yer shite get in the way of the truth.
So as they also say in Scotland.
Away and throw Sh&&£at yerself

RET is one + from the comedians, the important stuff like Police Jokeland, college mergers, NHS, Education, has done nothing but waste our hard earned tax £.

Regarding the "one MSP", I'm sure 2CV and certainly myself, knew MSP in question, was making a proposal.

Now now T :) crime at a 27 year low hmmm :)

If you are referring to people that did not vote , away an' bile yer ain heid .
Despite voting to stay in EU I can never agree with those remainers who use non-voters as part of their argument .
The SNP were elected and have formed a government this is democracy . Strange how some only like democracy when it is in their favour .
Still none of the snpbad posters have commented on the fact that the SNP did in fact introduce and expand the R.E.T. ferry fares .

It's worth noting that as in Westminster the SNP are actually a minority government, reliant on the support of the Green party.

If you are referring to people that did not vote , away an' bile yer ain heid .
Despite voting to stay in EU I can never agree with those remainers who use non-voters as part of their argument .
The SNP were elected and have formed a government this is democracy . Strange how some only like democracy when it is in their favour .
Still none of the snpbad posters have commented on the fact that the SNP did in fact introduce and expand the R.E.T. ferry fares .
I was pointing out the fallacy of saying the SNP have more legitimacy than the Conservatives.
A non-voter* has no complaints who wins. But a voter DOES. and more VOTERS voted for non-SNP candidates than those who selects the Nippy Sweeties party.
And same goes for UK Government.

By non-voter, I mean someone who was entitled to vote but didn't bother

Last edited:
It's worth noting that as in Westminster the SNP are actually a minority government, reliant on the support of the Green party.

I would normally assume if somebody is commenting on Scottish politics they would know the electoral system in Scotland is different to that of Westminster .
Anyway the Scottish government brought in R.E.T. ferry fares to help the island economies . This has been more successful than anyone envisaged . One Scottish MSP (SNP) has proposed/suggested (take your pick) that a levy is imposed on motorhomes visiting the islands
In case of any understandable doubt there is no motorhome levy in place .

I would normally assume if somebody is commenting on Scottish politics they would know the electoral system in Scotland is different to that of Westminster .
Anyway the Scottish government brought in R.E.T. ferry fares to help the island economies . This has been more successful than anyone envisaged . One Scottish MSP (SNP) has proposed/suggested (take your pick) that a levy is imposed on motorhomes visiting the islands
In case of any understandable doubt there is no motorhome levy in place .

My comment referred to earlier posts suggesting that the SNP had a majority in Scotland. This is not the case, hence they form a minority government with Green Party backing. Whilst not a formal arrangement it enabled the budget to pass through the Scottish parliament. Subscribe to read
SNP and Greens reach Scots budget deal | Public Finance

Last edited:
This is interesting.

This is a bit of a thread drift but a logical place to put this – following on from that article.

Over the years there has been a lack of information like this but available in a statistical survey. We had been able to access statistics from Australia, New Zealand, USA and some Eurepean scources – Italy was one – but nothing for UK. Very regrettable if you wanted to tell local authorities how important we could be.

Now a bit dated – there was a survey of motorhomers carried out by a Portuguese motorhomer. - Raul Lopes. He published his results and, when I emailed him a few years ago, he gave his permission to use the document in any way of use to us.

I'm new to dropbox but you should be able to see and download, if you wish, his survey results.

Dropbox - The european motorhomers-summary of Answers to International Survey.pdf

He ends his introduction with:

My comment referred to earlier posts suggesting that the SNP had a majority in Scotland. This is not the case, hence they form a minority government with Green Party backing. Whilst not a formal arrangement it enabled the budget to pass through the Scottish parliament. Subscribe to read
SNP and Greens reach Scots budget deal | Public Finance

Again I refer you to the AMS voting system in Scotland , designed to create coalition government . Guess what we have a coalition government . Totally different system from westminster
And yet the SNP have more MSPs and MPs than any other individual party .
I got downright lucky , my MSP is Ruth Davidson . Current , ongoing problem I have made me contact my elected representatives . One didn't even respond , guess who .

Again I refer you to the AMS voting system in Scotland , designed to create coalition government . Guess what we have a coalition government . Totally different system from westminster
And yet the SNP have more MSPs and MPs than any other individual party .
I got downright lucky , my MSP is Ruth Davidson . Current , ongoing problem I have made me contact my elected representatives . One didn't even respond , guess who .

Good to see that you confirm my point that the SNP are a minority.

Good to see that you confirm my point that the SNP are a minority.

Your post is spot on , apart from the fact it is nonsense .
Westminster 59 Scottish seats 35 held by SNP
Holyrood constituency seats 73 SNP hold 59
" regional seats [part of the AMS system] 56 SNP hold 4

Quite clearly whether we like it or not the SNP are the majority party in Scotland .
Once more , back on topic . 1 SNP MSP proposed/suggested a levy on motorhomes many , including myself , don't necessarily agree with that . A poster on here used this thread to have a go at the SNP government , not exactly relevant [actually not at all] but fair enough . Well it would be fair enough if the poster gave deserved praise for introducing the R.E.T. ferry fare system . Perhaps they did . Perhaps you did and perhaps I sh***ed Angelina Jolie last night .

Your post is spot on , apart from the fact it is nonsense .
Westminster 59 Scottish seats 35 held by SNP
Holyrood constituency seats 73 SNP hold 59
" regional seats [part of the AMS system] 56 SNP hold 4

Quite clearly whether we like it or not the SNP are the majority party in Scotland .
Once more , back on topic . 1 SNP MSP proposed/suggested a levy on motorhomes many , including myself , don't necessarily agree with that . A poster on here used this thread to have a go at the SNP government , not exactly relevant [actually not at all] but fair enough . Well it would be fair enough if the poster gave deserved praise for introducing the R.E.T. ferry fare system . Perhaps they did . Perhaps you did and perhaps I sh***ed Angelina Jolie last night .

"Quite clearly whether we like it or not the SNP are the majority party in Scotland ."

So my nonsense is that of 129 seats the SNP have 63 and are therefore a minority?
I think that even the SNP would find it hard to turn that arithmetic into them having a majority.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back