Is this what we are about?

Let there be light...

hillwalker said:
think you might be right there :D

maybe there not so bad ;)
I PREFER TO CAMP IN A LAYBY, OR A FORRESTRY COMM. ROAD ,WELL OF THE MAIN ROADS ,SO UR NOT ATTRACTIN ATTENTION, U CAN NEVER BE TO CAREFUL:eek: :eek: SOME LAYBY' ARE VERY DODGY..:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Hilly .. Can I ask... Do you, when parked in a lay-by, display lights during the night?

hillwalker said:
No Mate, Iv'e Never Done That.

I wondered as apparently it's a legal requirement if the lay-by is next to a road with a speed of greater than 30mph!

Have you ever been pulled up for no lights?

"223: All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph.
Law RVLR reg 24

224: Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525kg unladen, invalid carriages and motorcycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
in a recognised parking place or lay-by. Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
Law RVLR reg 24"

A Few Years Ago We Parked In A Layby ,next To A Loch And Done Some Fishin,this Was Before I Had The Van,we Had A Tent So Any Way About 3 In The Mornin There Were About Ten Guys Came Over To The Tent.they Were Drinkin Buckfast,they Started Talking To Us,and U Could See They Were Looking For Some Trouble.anyway Luckly Enough Nothing Happend,but Something Could Easly,it Wasn't A Nice Experience.

Sorry, should have said... That was took from the highway code.

virgil said:
I wondered as apparently it's a legal requirement if the lay-by is next to a road with a speed of greater than 30mph!

"223: All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph.
Law RVLR reg 24

224: Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525kg unladen, invalid carriages and motorcycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
in a recognised parking place or lay-by. Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
Law RVLR reg 24"
NO IV'E NEVER BEEN PULLED UP:eek:

yes

virgil said:

Law RVLR reg 24

Law RVLR reg 24"
Virgil, as a CPC holder (Transport management Qualification), I am well aware of the parking rules, however I don't know if the Plods are.
You only have to drive around the area that I live in and you would note that the Majority of cars are parked illegally at night. On street corners, both sides & facing the wrong way. I have instructed my family, that if they are ever in any accident involving any such illegally parked vehicle to not admit any blame!:eek: :eek:

I Did'nt Know U Had To Keep Ur Lights ON .

Last edited:
hillwalker said:
I Did'nt Know U Had To Keep Ur Lights ON .

Hilly... How many artic units in these lay-bys do you see with their lights on during the night? None! I don't think they know either!

lay bys

Lay bys are where we would stop if it was ,dark or bad weather and we were not aware of anywhere better within a short drive. There is no need to use them for normal overnighting.
Some of the places we stop in Scotland you could not better if you paid for somewhere to stop. We have parked up mid afternoon and not seen anyone by the time we leave the folllowing day.
I am always glad of any information on reasonable lay bys because it is good to know of somewhere to park if we are running late or are delayed in any way.
Don't think you have to stop on a lay by to obtain free parking. Look for somewhere early on in the day and go back to it. The sat nav is very good for this. We alway note interesting places , so if we don't find anywhere better we can go back to them later or even another time.

virgil said:
Hilly... How many artic units in these lay-bys do you see with their lights on during the night? None! I don't think they know either!
HOW DOES PC PLOD NOT NO,THATS CRAZY:eek:

yes they do

virgil said:
Virgil, U will probably find that most of the drivers do know.
It is just that there is a total shortage of off road parking that they have to take a chance as could get flat batteries.:eek: I expect that the Plods (such as Traffic Plods)that do know just turn a blind eye.
More important things to do.
However as I say this, I once had a Plod knock at my door & instruct me to put lights on my Artic Tractor Unit. It was parked in a bit of road that widened from the road it was on & no vehicle would possible hit it. After that I wired my lights so that only one side lite up (I know Illegal but??)

Agree

hillwalker said:
If I Left My Lights On, I Would Have No Battery In Mornin,stuff That.
Me also, but I presume that others of U with Fiat Ducats will not be able to.
If like mine, when I turn off the engine the lights go out. This is a built in safety feature but the :eek: problem is if U want to stop to nip into a shop. U must then put hazards on, but with no lights this is again illegal:eek:

***** said:
After that I wired my lights so that only one side lite up (I know Illegal but??)

Not illegal at all! Some cars are able to use the indicator stalk to, once the engine is stopped, illuminate sidelights on one side (O/S) of the car only!

It is

virgil said:
Not illegal at all! Some cars are able to use the indicator stalk to, once the engine is stopped, illuminate sidelights on one side (O/S) of the car only!
It is illegal for a truck or vehicle over 3.5ton.
Just moving the topic a little.:D
I think U will be too young to remember the old clip on parking lights. You would the side window down, hooked it on & plugged it in. It had one bulb with red lens facing rear & clear lens forward. That was before parking was allowed without lights .:eek:

I Suppose U Could Get One Of Those Small FLashin Led's. But That's If U Really Had To, That Would Just Attract Attention.i Dont Know.

Just park

Just park out of the way where no vehicle could hit U.
Not a good idea to park where an artic could hit ur rear end. (ouch):eek: :eek:

Memories

***** said:
It is illegal for a truck or vehicle over 3.5ton.
Just moving the topic a little.:D
I think U will be too young to remember the old clip on parking lights. You would the side window down, hooked it on & plugged it in. It had one bulb with red lens facing rear & clear lens forward. That was before parking was allowed without lights .:eek:
I remember them, I also remember U (Frank Ifield):eek:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back